Sand Boxes

Guest VelvetOkie

Guest VelvetOkie

ok another question that surely has an obvious answer i am just overlooking :)

my two are diggers. one more than the other. i am totally not bothered by it, its natural doggy behavior and i want them to have fun.

except that i have a dog-made racing loop around my yard and thats where they dig.. no grass here anymore. these holes get about 3' deep and i fear one day someone will break a leg. they usually have to jump over them while running since they are RIGHT in the path. and yes i constantly refill them but then the digging is even more fun :)

i have been thinking about putting in a sandbox in a corner so they can have both. but in my mind i am thinking a sandbox big enough to dig and play in will be very very expensive. they throw dirt so far out when they dig... if i dont make one big enough for that, the sand will be out of the sandbox area in about a week haha!

any ideas on an inexpensive way to do this?

I don't have this problem, yet, but I'm thinking my Annie Bella would either not learn to dig only in the sand box or would dig there and wherever else she wanted.

If my girl were digging in the same spot, I think I'd put a barrier of some sort around the hole so she couldn't dig any more and would run around it. Of course, that would probably mean she'd just dig somewhere else, but as the first step in prevention, that's what I'd try.

I had one digger that made holes around the yard, and I always worried that he or one of the other dogs would stumble in a hole (some were pretty deep) but in 9+ years, he never did and the others never have either. I guess they really do pay attention to where they are going :lol I gave up refilling the holes years ago, as you say, that just made them more fun to dig :rolleyes: You could try a sandbox, but I don't know if you could make them transfer their digging.

Guest TBSFlame

We have red clay here in NC so we went up. We used landscape timbers the size of railroad ties 2 high on 4 sides. I bring in 3/4 ton of sand each spring (they so love their new sand. They know that is their sandbox and don't try to pee in it only dig. We even have 2 large umbrella's over the sandbox. They really do love it. They will each one stop at the door so we can brush their bellies off before coming in the house.

We have red clay here in NC so we went up. We used landscape timbers the size of railroad ties 2 high on 4 sides. I bring in 3/4 ton of sand each spring (they so love their new sand. They know that is their sandbox and don't try to pee in it only dig. We even have 2 large umbrella's over the sandbox. They really do love it. They will each one stop at the door so we can brush their bellies off before coming in the house.

My hounds loved your sandbox! Princess keeps asking when she can come back over and visit. :D

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Guest VelvetOkie

how big is it?