A Million Thanks

Guest Lisa_S

Guest Lisa_S

As GeorgeofNE pointed out, research is a great thing. I know I've been asking a lot of basic questions. But I think it's important that you all know I did a year & half's worth of reading and research. Even met grey's! I've asked questions out of the emotion that came with bringing her home and adjusting to life with a different breed of dog than I've ever experienced. We are brand new dog owners and of course all our friends & family have Labs of some sort! As a mom of 3, I liken the basic questions to when you read all about life w/ a newborn while pregnant. Then the baby comes home and it's like "oh crap! well the book said... but... now I'm nervous!"

I just needed reassurance from experienced owners who have BTDT.

GeorgeofNE called me out on the simple nature of the questions and to that I have to say thank you. Because you're right. And honestly, I have a great girl. She's adjusting wonderfully and I realize now it's a slow process with lots of ups & downs (and maybe a growl here or there :)

She's a dork the size of a mini horse. She's a quick learner. So I believe I have a good dog who's trying to figure it all out just like the rest of the family! She's not going to attack the kids (I'm very careful w/ the youngest and sit w/ her every time she wants to pat the dog. Which means it takes an hour to load the dishwasher ;)

I had a mini-epiphany today out on a walk with her. (see good things above :)

I'm done worrying. I'm done double checking every time the dog farts.

You guys are awesome. Thank you!
Lisa & KJ

Yes, what a_daerr said. Also, I always enjoy the first-time simple questions, they act as a refresher for me. We've adopted over 10 greys at this point and it never hurts to hear the basics again :)

Bernadette with Jak, Horizon, Kota, Barnaby, Madison, Earl, Tiggy, Finney, Tommy, Woody, Tyler and Lincoln all at the bridge

As GeorgeofNE pointed out, research is a great thing. I know I've been asking a lot of basic questions. But I think it's important that you all know I did a year & half's worth of reading and research. Even met grey's! I've asked questions out of the emotion that came with bringing her home and adjusting to life with a different breed of dog than I've ever experienced. We are brand new dog owners and of course all our friends & family have Labs of some sort! As a mom of 3, I liken the basic questions to when you read all about life w/ a newborn while pregnant. Then the baby comes home and it's like "oh crap! well the book said... but... now I'm nervous!"

I just needed reassurance from experienced owners who have BTDT.

GeorgeofNE called me out on the simple nature of the questions and to that I have to say thank you. Because you're right. And honestly, I have a great girl. She's adjusting wonderfully and I realize now it's a slow process with lots of ups & downs (and maybe a growl here or there :)

She's a dork the size of a mini horse. She's a quick learner. So I believe I have a good dog who's trying to figure it all out just like the rest of the family! She's not going to attack the kids (I'm very careful w/ the youngest and sit w/ her every time she wants to pat the dog. Which means it takes an hour to load the dishwasher ;)

I had a mini-epiphany today out on a walk with her. (see good things above :)

I'm done worrying. I'm done double checking every time the dog farts.

You guys are awesome. Thank you!

Lisa & KJ

wait, WOT?!?!?! but, I'm reading the books now - they're not going to help on Day 1 back from the hospital? :lol

And, yes, we need pictures :D

Dave (GLS DeviousDavid) - 6/27/18
Gracie (AMF Saying Grace) - 10/21/12
Bella (KT Britta) - 4/29/05 to 2/13/20

So much of life is common sense, but in a new situation, whether dog or child, our emotions tend to take charge over our brains. No question is too small or dumb, IMO, if only because so many of us like to respond and give opinions. LOL You'll find that as many people on this forum is just about as many opinions that you'll get. When you read all the advice and opinions, that's when your common sense will kick in because you'll understand most often, there is not one *correct* answer.

Guest greybookends

"The only stupid question is the one you didn't ask" my dad always says. Sometimes we have all the head knowledge but we just need a little emotional support that lets us know we are doing it right. Asking others to share there practical knowledge helps us to better utilize all that book reading. Ask all the questions you need to. That's why this forum is here.

You just need to remember that you're NOT going to break her if you make a mistake! Dogs are very forgiving. You want to make sure you do everything right, and that's great, but the world isn't going to end if you lose your temper and yell at her one day, or if you accidentally step on her and she growls. Use every day as a learning experience.

My husband and I have had dogs, seperately and together, all our lives. And there are still things we learn all the time. I've learned a ton since I found GT, and most of it isn't greyhound-specific. I wish I knew then what I know now!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest k9soul

I've had dogs most of my life, and yet when I brought Rudy home who was my first greyhound, I felt like a first-time dog owner in some ways! Their backgrounds are so different, and all my previous dogs I had gotten when they were a year old or younger. I did all the recommended reading as well, but I still felt a bit lost and jittery, and for the first couple months I wondered at times if it would work out. It has been quite a journey and a revelation for me, and one I do not regret.

I know just what you mean by having that little epiphany moment. I still remember my own moment very clearly. And there were times after that that I still felt some uncertainty but it always faded quickly and the bond really began to bloom after that.

I read your earlier posts and thought how composed and articulate you were. You sound like a terrific mom, both dog and human. You did do your research! And, we all need some hand-holding at some point(s). Good job, mom!!

But yes, we do need some photos :lol

Edited by FiveRoooooers

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I wish I knew about Greytalk when I first adopted in 2002. I live 4+ hours from the adoption kennel and couldn't remember anything I was told except "keep her crated". Turns out my first one was the worst behaved dog (Gracie) who absolutely hated being crated. It was a learning curve for both of us.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest SugarFire

This is awesome! I've done lots and lots of research for some time now, magazines, books, stalking greyhound adoption sites, this site and spent some time in my local kennel.. It's reassuring that when I FINALLY bring home my first grey I can ask questions I already know the answer to and you guys will be Ok with it lol...

... but seriously... what does BDTD mean??? lol

I can sympathize. I read everything I could on greyhounds. I have most of the recommended books - “Adopting the Racing Greyhound”, “Childproofing your Dog”, “The Other End of the Leash” and “Retired Greyhounds for Dummies”. I have spent more time on the internet researching greyhounds than I can count. I spent much of my life with dogs, including most recently Labrador Retrievers and a German Shepherd, and growing up we had Doberman Pinschers, Malamutes, English Pointers, etc. You name it, it seems like we had it. And if my dad would see a stray dog, he would pick it up and bring it home.

Still, I was not prepared for the greyhound. I feel like a new dog owner. Slowly, things are falling into place, but there have been times (as recently as last week) when I have wondered if things will work out with my dog. At first, I spent many sleepless nights wondering if Payton was the right fit for our family. I finally had an epiphany, too and I was able to relax. Even last week, I briefly freaked out, but it didn’t last long.

I believe that in life in general, there are some things that we know so well, it is hard to remember what it was like when you were new at something. This is a great forum and everyone is so helpful. So many people here are so experienced and that is really comforting.

I would not stop asking questions. I believe it is always better to ask. Most likely, someone has been there and can offer reassurance and advice. Before long, we will be greyaholic too!

61bd4941-fc71-4135-88ca-2d22dbd4b59a_zps

Payton, The Greyhound (Palm City Pelton) and Toby, The Lab
Annabella and Julietta, The Cats
At the Bridge - Abby, The GSD

This is awesome! I've done lots and lots of research for some time now, magazines, books, stalking greyhound adoption sites, this site and spent some time in my local kennel.. It's reassuring that when I FINALLY bring home my first grey I can ask questions I already know the answer to and you guys will be Ok with it lol...

... but seriously... what does BDTD mean??? lol

Been there, done that :)

Dave (GLS DeviousDavid) - 6/27/18
Gracie (AMF Saying Grace) - 10/21/12
Bella (KT Britta) - 4/29/05 to 2/13/20

Been there, done that :)

"BTDT" could be longer if we added picked it up, penned it up, wiped it up, muzzled it up......... :rofl

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png