Thinking Of Adding A Second Grey.

Guest Greysonsmom

Guest Greysonsmom

We had a home visit with a sweet, petite girl yesterday (Jaclyn). She is 2 years old and did very well with our big 5 year old male grey. We also have an older Chihuahua, and my husband is concerned that because of Jacklyn's younger age, she may be too playful and end up hurting our little special needs (three legged) girl. When introduced, Jaclyn was very curious, but quickly settled down. I feel that with some training on lead, she will learn her boundaries, and all will be well. Then again it could be my emotions clouding my judgment. Admittedly, I fell in love.

We are thinking of trying a two week foster with intent, starting this weekend when my husband and I will both be home during the day. We would create her of course when not home.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Guest jschwe

I have two cats which Superbird showed interest in right away, but after a couple of stern no's he gave up. He has never lunged or anything and now (it's been 10 months) he ignores them completely. Even when they jump clear over his head.

He actually had a lot more trouble with little dogs--it's yipping and yelping that gets him really interested. We kept a close eye on him, kept him on leash at first, and distracted him immediately when he showed interest. He now gets along fine with my friend's 13lb cavalier, Mustang, who is bonkers and makes more noise than I thought possible. He will occasionally show interest now if a new small dog is particularly loud and high pitched, but once he learned Mustang was off limits, he left him alone.

ETA: Superbird is more 'chase' than 'play' so this may not be a huge help...but in my experience teaching boundaries goes a long way

Edited by jschwe

Guest Greysonsmom

Jaclyn, now Jasmin (Jazzy), arrived late Friday night. She whined most of the night, until I finally got smart and put a stuftie in her crate. I would have been much smarter if I had not been exhausted and paying attention enough to grab one with a broken squeaker. Haha! After 20 minutes or so the squeaking stopped and she slept until we got up. Night 2 went much better. She woke once, so we let her out of her crate. She settled in on one of the big dog beds and slept the rest of the night. We are having to be watchful for dominance issues, with our male grey. Hopefully this will work itself out. Todays plan, to work on stairs a little for the sake of my hubby's back. He's been carrying her up and down them so far.

Guest Greysonsmom

Jazzy is sleeping well now and getting along great with everyone. She actually chose to sleep outside of her crate last night. She slept until almost 5 am! We are early risers, so that was fine! My husband is quickly beginning to fall for her. She is a very sweet and playful girl. I am slowly trying to help her learn to climb the stairs. It breaks my heart when we are all upstairs and she stands at the bottom crying. Right now, my hubby has been carrying her up and down, so we are looking forward to giving his back a rest. Haha! She is small and agile, so I am hoping she learns quickly. Teaching her on her lead is not an option, as she hasn't seemed to like it from the beginning, unless it is walk time. Even then, she needs to be taken out the back door and through the yard. But SO much progress has been made in 1 week. I am really proud of her, and of Greyson (my 5 yr old hound), for being so tolerant. I love these babies!!! :wub:

Guest LazyBlaze

Am so glad it's all going well so far and that your husband is getting the Jazzy bug too. How has your chihuahua been adjusting to having Jazzy at home with you? Hopefully it's all good.

Guest Greysonsmom

Coco tolerates her just fine now, especially since Jasmine has learned that she is not a squeaky toy. Coco is a senior girl and spends most of her time upstairs sleeping in her bed. If she is not on a lap, she prefers to be left alone in the quiet these days. Although Greyson found some comfort in having Coco as a member of his pack, I think Jasmine will be a good companion for him.