Olive Oil?

Guest SisuGrey

Guest SisuGrey

Ok, looking for suggestions for items to potentially add to Sisu's kibble, as he seems bored with his food. Used to LOVE his kibble and would eat very enthusiastically. I'm guessing that it's possibly the new meds we have him on for his SA. I feel like I'm having to be a food cheerleader at each meal.... Is extra virgin olive oil ok to add? What about ground beef (raw? cooked?) Up for any food suggestions. Thanks!

Coconut oil is good too (organic, virgin), which you can get at Costco or Trader Joe's (not sure where you're located, but it's not too hard to find). Start slow with any oils to avoid loose stools (maybe a teaspoon working up gradually to a tablespoon). Cottage cheese or yogurt are popular here. My hound also LOVES FreshPet Select, which I buy at my regular grocery store in the refrigerated section of the dog food aisle. I get both "Homestyle" flavors; I warm up a spoonful or two and stir it into her regular kibble and she literally drools in anticipation. :)

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

We use low sodium Campbell's soup - enough to wet the kibble. And we often add a teaspoon of the Beneful wet food in the little tubs.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

• 2 weeks later...

How about a spoon of good quality canned dogfood mixed in it? I asked nearly the same question a while ago when my Diana was going through a non-eating spell. I knocked myself in the head when "dogfood" was the answer! LOL!

I also used a scoop of tuna or a bit of dinner leftovers mixed in to perk of the interest. After a while she went back to just kibble when she was feeling better and was fine with it. (DH still gives her "extras" when he feeds - but that's just him spoiling his girlie.)

Guest WhiteWave

I add all sorts of stuff.

Today they got my homemade "can". Ground pork, pork liver, broccoli, rice and canned pumpkin. I make up batches and switch the ingredients up. Crockpot chicken is another favorite.

Can food. Pure Balance at Walmart has 95 Meat can food now and my dogs really like it. $1.25 a can. Tractor Supply 4 Health has some decent affordable can food too.

Cottage cheese, ricotta cheese, yogurt

Can mackeral

eggs (boiled or over easy, none of mine are a fan of all raw)

Bil Jac frozen (walmart sells it now, by the icecream in my store) Dogs LOVE this stuff.

I do rotate oils, fish/salmon oil, coconut oil, and olive oil.

• 2 weeks later...

Our 11 y.o. is picky once in a while. We try doing Pet Select, sardines, canned tuna, cottage cheese, yogurt plan, cooked oatmeal, sweet potato (cooked). We alternate with these. What works one day may not work at the next meal. Also use raw goat's milk

Edited by brandimom

gallery_19161_3282_5037.jpg

Liverwurst. A teaspoon or tablespoon of it mixed with water to make a gravy and drizzled over kibble.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Guest Doggone

For Autumn's dinner, I cut back a bit on the kibble and add 1/3 can of Kirkland's dog food. She becomes a food vacuum! :D

At breakfast, she gets only kibble. So far, this routine is working :).

Guest SisuGrey

Thank you for all the great suggestions! I ended up adding rice, cottage cheese, plain yogurt - at different times. Turns out, he was being picky because he was feeling our stress - we were getting ready for our wedding. Once we got to the day - he was fine! On our honeymoon (yes, he came along), we were able to get right back to just kibble and he's been gobbling it up ever since! :) I'll definitely look into some of these other options when/if he becomes picky again, or seemingly bored. Thank you all!!

This is a great thread for exploring my options re: food addition, but here's a question for the masses. If I have two happy, completely unpicky dogs who both scarf their 2 cups at breakfast and dinner, is there any real reason -- aside from occasional pampering -- to add value? I guess this is more of a training question as well, to the extent that adding high-value food to the regular kibble could be a great reward. But honestly, my two hounds don't stop to smell the roses when it's breakfast or dinner time. Even with a stainless steel ball in each dish, they've never slowed down long enough to breathe let alone turned their noses up at it.

Drew and occasionally DW Melody, with Rosie (AMF Ready Made) and Marvin (Bella Riddick) in Louisville. Forever missing Brooks (KC Bastone) and Kali (Swish).