Muzzle Confusion

Guest Lisa_S

Guest Lisa_S

I don't crate or muzzle the dog currently. No small animals in house, she's great on walks.

I'm thinking of letting her run in a dog park.

Should I muzzle her for a dog park?

Is it for her protection or the small dogs?

Thanks!

Lisa & KJ (who's tolerating her new family patiently)

Guest kkaiser104

Please don't muzzle her if there are other un-muzzled dogs. In a fight she would lose her main defense mechanism. You'll hear a lot of opinions on dog parks--I take my two but only with large dogs that I know and trust.

Guest Scouts_mom

Do not muzzle her if the other dogs are not muzzled. It puts her at a massive disadvantage if the dogs get into a scuffle. If she is not safe with small dogs, she should not be loose in a dog park when there are small dogs around.

However at greyhound play dates, it is a good idea for all the dogs to wear muzzles. Greyhound skin just tears too easily and most greyhounds are used to wearing muzzles. My adoption group requires muzzles at greyhound gatherings and sells muzzles to those that don't have them.

Guest VelvetOkie

hopefully the small dogs have their own space. the park here does. and i agree about the muzzle. yes they can outrun any dog there but still, she needs to be able to defend herself just in case. also make sure your dog knows you well enough and responds to your voice if you need to call her back ( if this is a new addition)

but then again i do not take my dogs to the dog park anymore. i lost a dog last year due to an undetermined illness that took her within hours. my vet feels it possible it was a nasty bacteria that she may have picked up from the dog park we visited a week prior. you have no way to know how well the other dogs are cared for or what your dog is coming in contact with and its not worth the risk. i will never let my dog in one again.

Edited by VelvetOkie

Guest Lisa_S

I'm so sorry you lost a dog, VelvetOakie.

I didn't think of it like that.

And thank you all for the muzzle information. Makes perfect sense now. I'm not sure where you all are from or if laws vary but it's confusing to a new Grey owner! (I'm in the USA)

I would never want her at a disadvantage and she's ok w/ small white fluff balls ;)

I'll wait a bit longer if we do the park since she's new.

If you do decide to take her, the most important thing is to be an active supervisor of your dog. Most people aren't. They get their dog in the gate, slip the leash and go off and drink their coffee or play on their phone. That's how dogs get into trouble. Make sure you watch her and her interactions with other dogs so you can step in BEFORE things get out of hand. Also, don't hesitate to leave if there are unruly dogs or dogs that are bullying the others - better safe than sorry.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly