Sitting?

Guest Lisa_S

Guest Lisa_S

- can greyhounds comfortably sit?

The adoption placement service said no, she shouldn't be taught to sit as its uncomfortable.

On the flip side she was sitting in the car.

So what do you guys do?

I'd love to get my mini-horse of a dog to sit if she's comfy!

Thanks again for helping a new Grey Momma!

Lisa & KJ

Guest Scouts_mom

Greyhounds can sit, but for some it is not natural and seems uncomfortable--I think it is those heavily muscled thighs.

I taught my first grey, Scout, to sit which she would do, but very slowly. Next I taught her to lie down. As soon as she realized it was an acceptable position, she would lie down whenever I asked her to sit. I didn't really care, so I gave up on the sitting.

Jennifer, at Never Say Never Greyhounds, has a tutorial on teaching a grey to sit: http://neversaynevergreyhounds.blogspot.com/2009/08/greyhound-sits-101.html

Sure they can sit. It's something I require from all my dogs, greyhound or not. That being said, I don't make her hold it like I would or could with an off-breed. She sits for all treats.

Summer on the left, with her BFF.
Sitting.jpg

But if she wants to sit for longer, she is quite capable. She's definitely more willing to "hold" her sit on a soft surface and I can't say I blame her, LOL.

DSC00974.jpg

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Guest VelvetOkie

i hear some can sit where others cannot. they are not anatomically built to sit the way we think of so the ones that can are probably few. my girl will sit with both legs out to the side but she cant sit like other dogs can. my boy however only assumes the sphinx position. (resting on feet without butt touching)

i absolutely wouldnt press it since many cannot do this due to the body shape. let them do whats comfy. if you are trying to teach the sit command i would settle for whatever they can do, even if it looks like a loungy side sitting position :)

Some sit naturally, and others don't. And most can be taught to sit, although it seems more comfortable for some than others. Even the ones that aren't as comfortable with it get better as they practice more. All of mine sit, except for my newest addition who I haven't taught yet. He's a little spooky, so giving him more time to fully trust me before I consider attempting it.

1376339_10151682512312253_222394669_n.jp

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Guest Lisa_S

These dogs are beautiful guys!! Love seeing pics of other grey's in homes so happy!

I don't care how she sits or if she lays down! I'll just be happy with any "down" I can get. :)

Mine have all learned to sit. My first two even learned to do a long (4+ minutes) sit-stay! I don't usually teach the long sit-stay, tho -- more often I have them lie down for a long stay.

Most of mine have learned to sit by the hug-and-fold method. Newest girl, I used a combo of hug-and-fold and luring her up from a down.

Some of mine have learned very quickly, and some have taken a couple weeks to really get it. Patience, smiles, and lots of treats will get you there.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest joviemom

Yep! They can sit, sitting is something I require out of all my dogs.

Jovie is a sitting machine, she knows cookies come shortly after sitting :P

528666_10101131724591949_1517968946_n.jp

One of our girls, Felicia, who's up for adoption, charms us all because at M&Gs she usually sits instead of standing or laying down. She does this with no training or even encouragement. She gets tired, down she goes.

Feliciasitting_zps6c2677cc.jpg

The first thing Em did when we got her in the car at the adoption centre was sit! She sits all the time - she's a total show off about it. She sits the second she comes after recall because she knows she will get a treat. She sits when she wants attention. She's shameless!

It always blows me away when I read about a Greyhound ADOPTION GROUP furthering the B.S. myths about Greyhounds! I am flabbergasted.

My George is, well, let's just say he's very handsome and he was pretty fast, but he isn't the sharpest tool in the toolbox. If he can learn to sit, ANY dog can learn to sit. And I taught him the exact same way I've taught every other dog we've ever had (English Setters and one Lab) how to sit, the tried and true "tuck and fold" method.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest Clawsandpaws

I used Jennifer's blog to teach my boy how to sit. http://neversaynevergreyhounds.blogspot.com/2009/08/greyhound-sits-101.html it worked wonderfully. At first I just did it because I wanted to see if he would do it, after that we started working on other things (like shake) I love that he sits! He used to be very excitable when people were by the door, or if we were going out, now he has to sit calmly before I leash him or open up the door.

Unfortunately it also made him even more adorable when he's begging, it's a bad habit of his :)

621CBD5A-93CE-4009-B433-F25D63EEA334-919

Guest Wasserbuffel

One of my group's leaders has a grey that likes to "sit" on laps. He'll back up and plop his butt on a lap, and keep his front feet on the floor. He'll also sit on stuff too, they just put a picture of him on Facebook sitting on a suitcase.

Mine sits on her own occasionally too. She learned to do it on command with only a couple repetitions, and for a while afterward "sit became her answer to everything.

Rudy sits but he kind of folds one of his back legs under him to sit on his hip. I should try to get him to do a straighter sit as it would be easier on harder surfaces.

I've tried every technique out there...nothing has worked, and it seems to just make him uncomfortable so I don't bother. I really do think that the body length, size and shape has something to do with it. My guy can't jump up either, he tries and his front paws only go about a foot off the ground. He is a largish male and I think he just has an awkward body. Many greys can be taught quite easily though.

Guest carriej

We had a foster named San Tan Muffin who used to love to sit on her own. She sat on the side of her leg though... So both legs were jutting out the same direction; such a funny girl. She's the one that got away for sure; we debated and debated on keeping her and then the second I got the call that she was placed I knew we had made a mistake not adopting her ourselves.

Sure they can sit. It's something I require from all my dogs, greyhound or not. That being said, I don't make her hold it like I would or could with an off-breed. She sits for all treats. Summer on the left, with her BFF.Sitting.jpg But if she wants to sit for longer, she is quite capable. She's definitely more willing to "hold" her sit on a soft surface and I can't say I blame her, LOL.DSC00974.jpg

Where did you get summers fleece? I love it.

Guest jbbuzby

One of mine does fairly easily on command; the other one just doesn't get it and never does it naturally. I compromised with my second one by teaching her "down" which she does very quickly and easily. I require all my dogs to perform a behavior before getting what they want; in this case, before we go for a walk, one runs over and sits, the other runs over and lays. It works for us!

Guest goofydog

I've tried every technique out there...nothing has worked, and it seems to just make him uncomfortable so I don't bother. I really do think that the body length, size and shape has something to do with it. My guy can't jump up either, he tries and his front paws only go about a foot off the ground. He is a largish male and I think he just has an awkward body. Many greys can be taught quite easily though.

Don't give up, It took Get Em 7 years to learn! Not always the brightest bulb, but definitely the sweetest. He learned down using the chair method then I started rewarding the 'sit' as he started to get up. Now he sits for treats when asked. Old dogs can learn new tricks!

Guest LunaTheGreyt

Luna learned to sit in 1 session! I started on her bed. The next day I was able to transfer the behavior onto carpeting, hardwood, and linoleum. I have had her for almost 5 months and she just recently took an interest in being trained. In the past week and a half she's learned focus (she looks right at me), sit, down, and paw. We're working on "go to your bed" and "wait."

996003_10200617589513312_1500899521_n.jp