Growling?

Guest Lisa_S

Guest Lisa_S

Hi!

Our new addition to the family is doing great overall.

I'm wondering what everyone's general experiences are with growling?

We have children, 12, 14 & 7 1/2.

They are extremely good w/ the dog and vice versa. Our problem is that we've had instances where we've inadvertently startled the dog while she's sleeping and she's growled at a few of us. It's loud and unnerving! I will say we've thought she might be semi-conscious but might snooze w/ her eyes slightly open?

She isn't crated and thriving well. She's really a great, dorky, gentle & inquisitive girl.

Any thoughts or similar experiences?

Thanks!!

Lisa

Guest VelvetOkie

some greyhounds are notoriously "sleep aggressive" meaning they can growl or even snap as a reaction to being bothered while sleeping. and yes they sleep with their eyes open sometimes. keep in mind at the kennel, they had their own private space and kennel and were not disturbed while there. this is often a problem with children but can be overcome. my first grey was like that but eventually got better as she became more comfortable in her new home. i would suggest you always call her name before invading her personal space while sleeping and insure she is truly awake and not sleeping with open eyes. teach your children to be diligent with this or even to leave her be while in her "personal space" whatever that may be.

remember if you were woken to the feel of someone touching you you would react defensively until you realized it was ok. same with your dog. your family has to respect the space of your new pet. she is getting acclimated to you and vice versa

Edited by VelvetOkie

No one likes to be disturbed when they're sleeping, and it's no different with your dog. Remember, she has *never* had to share her sleeping space before in her life. With anyone or anything. Your girl might not be sleep or space aggressive, but the growling sounds perfectly normal and perfectly appropriate. Growling is one of the only ways she has to communicate with you, so I wouldn't scold her or try to stop her from doing it. If she can't communicate in this basic way, she might learn to skip that step and escalate to something that does get results - like a snap or a bite.

Institute some simple rules, especially for your kids. Don't disturb the dog when she's sleeping. If they (or you) want to give her attention, wake her all the way up and call her to you. You can call her name, clap your hands, throw a stuffy or piece of clothing on her, stomp your feet - anything to make sure she's awake and aware. And yes, they can and do sleep with their eyes open.

Chris - Mom to: Lilly, Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

35764734494_93de5b5963_b.jpg

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom

Guest Lisa_S

Ok, we'll it sounds like we are progressing appropriately :)

Definitely reminding the kids to say her name or gently scratch her behind with their toes to make sure she's alert, because those eyes aren't telling the truth!

And nope, I've read enough to know not to yell at her. But I can't help that I heard the growl from a distance, knew my daughter was near the dog and so I screamed! Just a mommy reaction. I wasn't right near the dog so I think she was fine lol! Ack! Such a learning curve for all if us. And you're right, it's her only means if communication!

When she's awake she's very sweet & tolerant.

I just worry.

Thanks guys! :)

Lisa

Guest shanesmom

Touching a sleeping dog with their toes can be dangerous. Had a close call here myself. When I first adopted Ace I touched him in the middle of the night with my toes when I was getting out of bed. I didn't know he was not in his bed but on the floor right next to my bed and it was dark and he's black. I had the shock of my life when lightening fast he was on his feet and bit me repeatedly on my leg while growling the most viscous sound I ever heard. There wasn't even time to move my leg. Amazingly not a scratch on me. His mouth and teeth had made repeated contact with my leg but there was not a scratch. He easily could have bit me badly but he was warning me. I'm sure I scared him as much as he scared me. They are so fast. I would never touch a sleeping dog on purpose. Always call their name first. I now sleep with my phone right next to me and turn on the flashlight app to see where he is before I get up. If he's in my way, I call his name and make him move.

For kids always and adults for now, I'd get her up on her feet before petting, scratching, etc. Especially in first couple months, if they're lying down they're chilling out and often want to be left alone. Harder to read their demeanor than some dogs, so safest policy is to let lying-down dogs lie. :)

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

For kids always and adults for now, I'd get her up on her feet before petting, scratching, etc. Especially in first couple months, if they're lying down they're chilling out and often want to be left alone. Harder to read their demeanor than some dogs, so safest policy is to let lying-down dogs lie. :)

Listen to Batmom. We always do. :)

4894718087_9910a46faa_d.jpg

Tricia with Hopper the terrier mix and Kaia the wolfhound-schnauzer mix
Always missing Murray MaldivesBee Wiseman, River, and Holly
 Oaks Holly 
“You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.“ -Bob Dylan