Cher Tore Her Entire Toe Nail Out

Guest Luvagrey

Guest Luvagrey

Last night, during her last trip outside before bed, our 10-year old grey showed up on the deck, bleeding like crazy! There were puddles of blood forming...my hubby was freaking out, and I was on the verge of freaking out. I looked at her foot and she had torn the entire nail out of her back left paw. I was so scared she was going to bleed out, and all I could think of was to stop the bleeding somehow. I put pressure on it for about 5 minutes and finally was able to take a look. It looked like one of her toes was missing! I realized it was because her nail was gone. This has never happened in the nearly 9 years she's been with us, or the 3 years we've had our other greyhound. We still don't know what she caught it on!

I vet wrapped it really good and put her to bed, called an experienced greyhound friend and she concurred with my decision to wait it out until morning when I could get her to our vet. She did great, slept through the night, and we took her in around 10:30. They told us we were lucky, it was cleanly gone, everything looked fine, she trimmed the hair around it, told us to let the air get to it over the weekend, and t hey put her on antiobiotics and Tramadol. So far so good, they don't know if the nail will ever grow back. Cher is prancing like she always did so I think either way she's going to be okay.

It could have turned out so much worse.

:beatheart:paw:gh_face

Angel Norm was the master at losing nails. He never had a full set. Ever. He'd lose one, it'd start to grow, and he'd lose another. It got to the point that the only time we'd take him in was if it wasn't a complete break. As in nail hanging by a thread.

Yes, the blood is incredible. The first time he lost one I was alone couldn't get it to stop. Blood literally squirting with every heartbeat. Called best friend to drive us to the er vet and mother to come contain the other dogs until mama2 came home. Mama2 was amazed when she did. Blood was everywhere.

What I wouldn't give to have the chance to clean up just one more bloody toenail. :(

My sweet angel Tanner-"Showoffs Magic" 79D-82695. DOB 7/22/99. Gotcha Day 6/20/05. Bridge Day 3/11/10. Big Beautiful Brave Angel Norm-"Showoffs Storm" 89B-83263. DOB 8/16/99. Gotcha Day 3/24/06. Bridge Day 4/20/13. Angel Girl Bree-"Breezy Betty" 201A-93631. DOB 2/05/01. Gotcha Day 5/11/10. Bridge Day 10/07/11. She reached the beach.... Maci-"CF's Owhatanite" 44H-29320. DOB 10/05/04. Gotcha Day 10/11/11. Greta-"Greta's Milam" 90B-54582. DOB 9/17/10. Gotcha Day 11/30/12. Bridge Day 03/30/17. Ben-"P Kay Key Train" 63A-61271. DOB 6/2/13. Gotcha Day 12/26/15.

Guest k9soul

When I got Rudy, he was missing one of his back toenails completely. It was just a bare toe. He had been in a home before mine but the group said they did not know how he lost the nail. I just figured he must have torn it out at some point and he'd just never have a nail on that foot. Then about a month ago, after I had had him for 7 months, I started noticing a little nub on that toe. I inspected it closer, and to my amazement it was his toenail growing back in! Since then it has become more and more visible, though too short to trim still. It took months before it even appeared, so I'm not sure how far back into his foot it had broken or torn at some point.

I'm glad Cher is okay. Maybe a few months down the road her nail will make an appearance.

Edited by k9soul

Guest abbysmom

This happened to my Rosie a few months ago. Vet told me to keep it wrapped until the bleeding stopped (and that she might bang it and start the bleeding again. ). She never acted painful. Now she has a nubbin of a bail growing back. Good luck. Those nails can certainly bleed!

My bridge boy, Keno, did this several times. They all grew back except for one. It bled like mad and he had a little bit of nail just hanging on, so I took him to the vet and they cauterized it.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

We've dealt with that many times. Glad that it came out cleanly...it's cruddy when the vet has to pull it the rest of the way (with pliers *shudder*).

Sometimes the nail comes back and sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it *sorta* comes back and that can be a bit odd. Pinky had one that grew back funky...I called it her nubbin nail :lol One of my iggies has a *sort of* nail that never seems to grow any more than what it is :dunno

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Guest k9soul

Well after posting about Rudy's nail coming back I noticed this morning it's gone again! There's a little bit of nub that I can feel right up next to his toe, but apparently the nail that was coming in broke off again, and it must have no quick because there was no bleeding. So just another confirmation of Kristin's post about it growing back oddly/differently.

Edited by k9soul

Guest Luvagrey

Very interesting stories. I'm not sure what to expect. I'm just glad it doesn't seem to bother her and now that she's getting off the pain meds, she is getting back to her old self.