Questions On Dry Skin

So Mover has been having pretty dry skin for the past few months. He's been to the vet, and he doesn't really seem concerned. A couple months ago, we had a bad experience with fleas. He was on frontline, but it wasn't working for him, so we switched to Trifexis and it's been great since then. During the phase where we were trying to figure out what to do, we did give him 3 bathes, as advised by the vet office in order to help eliminate the fleas and 'break the cycle'. And he was scratching so much, the baths did seem to give him some relief. Fast forward to now and his skin is still pretty dry and he has some dander. He still scratches a little, but I think it's because he's itchy from the dry skin. I'm tempted to give him a bath because he sort of stinks...not really bad, but it's noticeable. However, I don't want to further irritate his skin. I plan on getting some of the missing link I've read about on this site and I do have coconut oil that I've applied on him before...however how would I get this onto his skin on his lower back, where a lot of the flaking is? Do I just apply it on top of his fur and rub it in? Any other advice/suggestions? Thanks!

Guest Scouts_mom

I would avoid giving him more baths--they will just make his skin dryer. Have you turned on your furnace recently? That can make skin dry. I would start feeding him oil. Fish oil pills or canola oil on his food (about a teaspoon).

If your into the coconut oil, you can also give that to him on his food, but most folks add some version of salmon oil.

One other possibility, low thyroid *can* also cause dry skin, though if there are no other clinical signs it would be a low possibility. He can be tested (search for and read through the threads here about greyhound thyroid values first, and print out a copy for your vet).

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I agree - no more baths. He shouldn't smell though. Has he been rolling in anything? That's the only reason to bath him. Don't apply the coconut oil to his fur, it's not the way to get oil to his skin. It's just going to make a mess of his fur. I would give him a nice brushing every couple of days - that should stimulate the oil glands in his skin, and strip off his dandruff. I'd try the fish oil and Missing Link as well.

I would avoid giving him more baths--they will just make his skin dryer. Have you turned on your furnace recently? That can make skin dry. I would start feeding him oil. Fish oil pills or canola oil on his food (about a teaspoon).

No, the furnace hasn't been on yet. Should I give him a tsp with each meal or just 1x a day? Thanks!

Guest amethyst

I bathe my hound once a week during the summer and use a people shampoo like Pantene.

She has no skin problems and we don't use oil supplementation.

Guest undergreysspell

I give fish oil caps and a little drizzle of olive oil on her kibble. If I forget the olive oil the dandruff comes back, so I guess it's really helping.

Guest johnmclaren

Hi, It might be due to less thyroid. or it might be normal dryness. if it is due to less thyroid, U should take your pet to the Vet. and if it is normal dryness You just have to add fish oil in its food, and you should avoid daily bath of it.

• 3 months later...

Lola is a brindle and Sunny is a fawn....Lola has the dandruff going pretty good lately. It's January in the middle of winter so I wonder if that has something to do with it, but Sunny doesn't. I have been rubber brushing them (they love it) a couple times a week now and the hair coming out is never ending :whiteflag But Lola's dandruff is way more pronounced than Sunny's and I don't think it's more noticeable because of the color difference and it looks like I'm going to Walmart to get Grizzly Salmon oil to add to their diet. Anyone else in the winter climate like me notice the same thing about this time of year?