So Now What?

We have had Payton for about 7 weeks now. I posted a while back about his space agression issues. That is getting somewhat better.

We have an 11 year old lab that Payton tends to run over but I try to let them work it out on their own. However, today both dogs were standing at the door looking out when Payton turned for no reason and attacked to lab.

I don't know what to do. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

61bd4941-fc71-4135-88ca-2d22dbd4b59a_zps

Payton, The Greyhound (Palm City Pelton) and Toby, The Lab
Annabella and Julietta, The Cats
At the Bridge - Abby, The GSD

I used to not like hearing that a dog may not be the right fit for certain families, but I've come around to the idea... sometimes it's just not the right fit... doesn't mean he's a bad dog, doesn't mean you're bad owners, just not the right circumstances for everyone in the family... having reread your prior post again, I'm starting to think he is just not with the family he's meant to be with... maybe he needs to be with a family with no/older children, maybe he needs to be an only dog, maybe he needs to grow up and learn how to appreciate retirement... I tolerate a lot b/c I am pretty strong minded, but an attack on a family member won't fly in my book... and if you are worried, or can't give the full commitment to working with him, I would talk to the adoption group and ask if they have a hound that is older, maybe lost his home thru no fault of his own, and would be a better fit... IMHO, Payton needs to go to someone that knows how to work with sleep/space issues, and can rehabilitate him... before it turns ugly...

Good luck!! please let us know what you decide.... and please please please don't give up on greyhounds... they really are gems

Image removed, not within Signature Guidelines.

Guest Giselle

There are a lot of details missing from this story. Because there is a high risk of injury to another animal/human being, I think it's absolutely inappropriate for us to give you advice over the Internet. Please seek the help of a professional behavior consultant, progressive dog trainer, or veterinary behaviorist:

http://www.iaabc.org

https://www.karenpryoracademy.com/find-a-trainer

http://www.dacvb.org

http://www.avsabonline.org

Good luck!

Edited by Giselle

It is difficult to know what is the right thing. I put a treat bowl in the fireplace above his bed and we give him a treat when we walk by. It is working pretty well and when we walk by him while he is laying down, he just looks at you expectantly.

He tends to be very sweet and loves attention. He will walk up to you and lay his head on you. DD has been feeding him, giving him treats, walking with him, etc. I just said a couple of days ago that I was so glad we kept him. He has been doing really well. We leave him alone while he is sleeping.

This incident really caught me off guard. He is kind of pushy with the lab, but they generally ignore each other. He will walk by the lab and kind of push him. He has growled a couple of time if the lab goes near his bed (he has growled at the cats before too) but the lab doesn't seemed to be worried about him. So I generally let them work things out between them.

Because of our issues with him, I watch him like a hawk. I want to make sure I intervene if there is a chance that someone could get hurt.

The lab is fine. Payton didn't bite him. The lab turned and laid down. Payton acted like he did when my daughter picked his toy up that time. Like the lab was in his space.

I do not want to be one of those people who should have gotten rid of dog and didn't and someone got hurt. At the same time, I don't want to give up on a good dog. We are all really attached to him.

Guest Giselle

A warning snap and snarl is not an attack. It's serious, but your situation doesn't sound like it produced anything other than a scare and maybe a few heart palpitations... A dog attack is a terrible thing to witness. It doesn't sound like a true attack happened here.

Still, because of the past problems and because of this new issue, I still recommend seeking the help of a professional trained in animal behavior. You don't need to commit to a behaviorist for life. But 1-2 sessions with a behaviorist will help clear up all your answers and help guide you on the right track. Again, given the risk of injury to another animal/human, I really don't think it's ethical for any of us to give you behavioral advice over the Internet. Too risky.

Agree with Giselle. Not necessarily a huge or insurmountable problem, but really need a qualified behaviorist there on the spot to observe and advise you. Best luck!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest kalzanetti

I agree, seek out advice from a professional. We don't even have our gh yet and I am getting a behavioral consult to assess my 2 whippets. I am doing it because when my female met another female at our house she was protective of me. But we then met a male at his house 2 days later and she was fine. But I want to make sure. It won't hurt. Good luck and keep us posted

No, it wasn't a "I'm going to rip out your throat" attack, but it was more than a little warning growl.

I called my vet and they said that there were not any behavioral experts any where near us. I also searched the links and there are none in our state.

I called the adoption group and explained what happened. She spent a lot of time with Payton and doesn't feel like it was a serious issue. She doesn't believe he is truly aggressive. She said he needs more time to adjust and recommended keeping his muzzle on for a while.

I guess at this point I am going to follow her advice and keep up the training we have been doing.

Guest VelvetOkie

please please please dont take this the wrong way, i am in no way saying you are not a wonderful puppy mommy, but you mentioned earlier that you also didnt want to give up on a good dog.

keep in mind that sometimes the best thing you can do for a dog that you obviously love, is to let him find a family better suited to his needs. whatever is making him snarl may be stressful to him as well. if there is constant tension in your home then no one is relaxed. including him.

now i am not saying it will ever amount to more than a growl but IF it did then not giving up on him will no longer be in your control.

it sounds to me he may do better in a 1 dog 1 owner family. as hard it may be on you, it may be the right thing for him :(

Guest k9soul

Calling the adoption group and talking to them was a good idea. Unlike us they have seen and been around him and probably were able to offer you some good insight. He still is adjusting and has been there a relatively short time. I had a couple upsetting incidences between Rudy and my oldest girl during the first two months he was here. Neither are aggressive dogs, but it took some adjustment to get space and acceptance issues worked out. They are absolutely fine and good around each other now, each respectful of the other's space and accepting of their right to be in the home. I used muzzles and baby gates and close monitoring for awhile to make sure everyone had their space. Things like arriving at a doorway at the same time can trigger a reaction if one feels their space is threatened.

Meanwhile I found that taking them on walks together helped them seem to relax with each other and helped all of us have more of a "pack" bond feeling.

I hope things are able to settle down for you more as I know it's a stressful time as everyone is trying to adjust. I wish the best for all involved.

by the way, is he related to Palm City Karly? a friend of mine has her :) and based on your location we may use the same adoption group

Yes, it is the same adoption group. 😃 They are not from the same litter but the same owners. That owner apparently does a great job with his dogs.

I have read tons of posts regarding hounds that have actually bitten their owners (including one that was just posted about one that bit a child) and most of those dogs seem to adjust fine. Payton has not bitten And space aggression seems to be very common. I am completely willing to give him the opportunity to adjust. He has made a lot of progress in the 7 weeks he has been here. I have never had a greyhound, but I am not an inexperienced dog owner. But greyhounds are a different breed although. And it is very difficult not to panic when something like that happens.

I am trying to look at the whole picture. The lab is not scared of the greyhound at all. Both are acting completely normal today. It is hard not to second guess myself. He is very affectionate and calm in general. But if he is disturbed in his bed, he will growl. Even at the cats, who he is scared to death of. The adoption group felt like there was some doggy communication going on between the two dogs that I missed yesterday

Although there are not any behavior experts near us, I think I will bring Payton to a basic obedience class just to try to help him adjust to new situations. I have been working on obedience, but a new environment might help

I really appreciate everyone's advice. I am really hoping for the best. If space aggression is his issue, we can deal with that-leave him alone in his bed. Hopefully, the dogs will adjust to each other.

Guest Giselle

Glad you got some advice from someone who has seen your pup and may understand the situation better. If you do feel in doubt of anything at all, a good dog trainer can be very helpful, too. There are many KPA graduates out there. Some are good, some are not so good, and some are great. But there's probably more KPA trainers in/around Louisiana than vet behaviorists or behavior consultants:

There is also one trainer in Louisiana who graduated from the SF SPCA trainer academy (led by Jean Donaldson, who I adore):

Upward Dog Training & Counseling 504-701-1133 gallivant@upwarddog.org

I found the listing here: http://www.sfspca.org/resources/library

Good luck!

Glad you got some advice from someone who has seen your pup and may understand the situation better. If you do feel in doubt of anything at all, a good dog trainer can be very helpful, too. There are many KPA graduates out there. Some are good, some are not so good, and some are great. But there's probably more KPA trainers in/around Louisiana than vet behaviorists or behavior consultants:

There is also one trainer in Louisiana who graduated from the SF SPCA trainer academy (led by Jean Donaldson, who I adore):

Upward Dog Training & Counseling 504-701-1133 gallivant@upwarddog.org

I found the listing here: http://www.sfspca.org/resources/library

Good luck!

Thank you! I appreciate the help and information!