Urgent Help Needed

Sending those good thoughts!

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sending MANY prayers!!! :hope :Hope

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

After an extremely bad night, not due to the clot, but the buprenorphine he is doing even better today than yesterday. My vet had prepared syringes of the buprenorphine in divided dosages of 0.5cc. His thought was to keep it at the minimum and give another injection if needed. He had me give him 1 injection at the office to make sure I would be comfortable doing it. He never seemed to relax though like he did when he had the injection that morning so around 9:30 I decided to give him a 2nd injection. Shortly after that his whining got increasingly louder and he grew more agitated. The vet I had taken him to that morning had given me his number in case I had an emergency so I called him. He told me that in some dogs if too low a dose is given it can cause them to go into a pre-anesthesia like state and many will freak out. He had me give him another injection thinking that too much time had elapsed from the first injection at 6:00 to the 2nd at 9:30. Unfortunately that 3rd injection did not help the situation :(. I called Dr. Whindham back telling him what was going on. Her told me that unfortunately there wasn't anything more that could be done except wait for it to get completely out of his system then in the morning give 2 injections together, which would equal what he had given him. I did that this morning with MUCH better results. He rested very nicely this morning and continued to do so throughout the afternoon. I even decided to not give him a 2nd set of injections to see how he would do without it. I am happy to say that after having to leave him for a short while to try to find something he would eat because his appetite has been terrible he actually walked to where he normally eats when I brought his food to his bed. Unfortunately he only took a few bites before turning away from it and refusing to eat any more. The only thing he has consistently eaten has been ice cream, cherry cheesecake ice create that is.

I'm hoping Nadir is still on the upswing this morning! If I could eat nothing but cherry cheesecake ice cream, I think I'd choose that too :chow

I know he needs the buprenorphine, but boy, it sure can make them agitated, distressed and whiny! (I refused it for Twiggy at the e-vet on Fri because of that and b/c I was pretty sure the Tramadol/Gabapentin I already had would be sufficient).

Thinking of, and continuing to send good thoughts out to you both!

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

I feel like I'm on a rollercoaster ride right now. Nadir was doing so good yesterday until he started eating again and had to take a poop :(. Having to go into the crouched position and strain because his poops are firm had him crippled with pain again. He was doing so good yesterday too that I had even chosen to forgo the burprenorphine injections he was due to get at 1:00. He was walking even prancing around acting happy until about 10:00 when I took him out to go potty. I never thought I would regret him having firm poops :(.

Continued good thoughts for Nadir.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Oh, that sounds like a good update, overall! We had a similar bad reaction to Vetergesic with Sid, and it took a while for it to leave his system, but when it did he was just SO much better. Hoping to hear that things are continuing to improve!

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Keeping fingers crossed for soft poops and a good day today.

As you probably know, sometimes medications slow down the digestive system and cause hard stools or constipation.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

I'm glad to hear Nadir was feeling so good; too bad poop had to ruin it all!

I hope that he's recovered from that, and that he can have more comfort for his "necessities"!

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

Guest johnmclaren

My prayer are with you both. I want to suggest you one more thing that you should concern to other vet also so that you will confirm that whats going on with nadir. Good luck.