Picky Peg...

Guest MikesLeftPeg

Guest MikesLeftPeg

Hi all, first time here, looking for help on feeding my picky Peg! So, she has decided that she doesn't want to eat various brands of greyhound recomended food. So I have been looking into mixing up my own, such as all fresh rice carrots peas and some form of meat, changing it between mince beef, chicken, fish etc to keep it interesting. Maybe also varying the rice with pasta and potatoes. All cooked. Has anyone else done this? What are your thoughts, I would very much appreciate it.

Hi, and welcome. My Grey's another Peg.... popular name it would seem....

First, before altering food around at random, I'd suggest taking your dog to the vet for an up to date set of Kidney and Liver tests, as well as a thorough check of her teeth. Sometimes declining kidney function can bring on inappetance which slowly becomes worse. Make sure that your vet is aware that Greyhound kidney levels are generally higher than other less well muscled breeds and blood tests should not be taken soon after they have been exercizing heavily. Also a urinalyis of a fresh morning sample... caught in a clean long handled pan, will hep confirm any diagnosis.

Now that you know your dog is metabolically OK you can start to experiment with recipes, always bearing in mind that they like to change over gradually from one meat source to another. So going from Turkey to beef ought to be slowly done over about 10 days or you'll risk diarrhoea or gas.

Good luck.

Edited by JohnF

All three of my greys are on home-made food. They get rice, veggies, meat, potatoes, oatmeal and calcium/vitamin pills. They love their food and so far, none has left any in the bowl. I usually just feed beef (rarely pork) as one of my boys is severely allergic to chicken. They also get applesauce and yogurt in the evening along with toast in the morning as a snack.

I also make the majority of my dog's food. They love it but it does take a little extra work. If you want to go fully homemade you will need to do some research on it to ensure you are feeding the right things. An easier solution can also be to make some "extras" and mix them into regular dogfood. That way, you can add healthy, fresh extras, but don't have to worry so much about balancing things.