Pepcid For Greyhounds?

Guest Squirrell

Guest Squirrell

My vet recommended pepcid as a preventive for my greyhound. How many people have used this ? She has poops like a cow, really hard to pick up when i walk her. Tried pumpkin and many other kinds of dog food for her. She seems to be doing well and has gained 10 lbs since i got her in April.

Mandy was on Pepcid for years, it helped her with sour stomach that caused vomiting. At my vet's direction, I started giving it to Sammy when he was "off" and his appetite suddenly went south. It is a good medication and rather inexpensive if purchased as a generic.

gallery_17374_2906_4494.jpg
Beverly. Missing my happy toy-flinging boy Sammy (Where's Mandrill), (8/12/2009-9/30-2021) Desperately missing my angel Mandy (BB's Luv) [7/1/2000 - 9/18/2012]. Always missing Meg the Dalmatian and Ralph Malph the Pekeapoo.

Squirrel, what are you feeding her and how much? How old is she?

Pumpkin does not always work to firm up pop and can often have the opposite effect.

I don't give pepcid unless I am sure my dogs need it (gastric upset, countering other med's side effects).

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Squirrel, what are you feeding her and how much? How old is she?

Pumpkin does not always work to firm up pop and can often have the opposite effect.

I don't give pepcid unless I am sure my dogs need it (gastric upset, countering other med's side effects).

Agreed-don't use Pepcid unless needed. This sounds more like a food change is in order. FYI-Pepcid can cause loose stools--are you sure your vet wasn't recommending pepto??

Agreed-don't use Pepcid unless needed. This sounds more like a food change is in order. FYI-Pepcid can cause loose stools--are you sure your vet wasn't recommending pepto??

agreed! 10 # weight gain....she may be eating too much right now, cut back on her food, the pooping like a cow might be resolved. you don't want her gaining any more weight, right?

I would check on her weight and how much you're feeding. 10 lbs is a lot unless she's a big girl and was exceptionally thin when you got her.

Pepcid is pretty benign but, like any med, shouldn't be used unless needed. Usually it's used for inappetence / upset stomach / vomiting. Occasionally a vet will suggest it for mild diarrhea -- if the stomach is too acidic, diarrhea can result, and Pepcid can take the edge off of that.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest sireltonsmom

Have you looked into Tylan powder? It tastes bad so has to be really disguised in a yummy. Ten lbs. does sound like a lot. One last thought - I put a paper under my dogs (on the ground) and they poop on that. Cleanup is much easier and nobody's yard gets yucked up. It also prevents them from squatting on other dogs' problems. Good luck.

:ghplaybow:gh_runner

Guest Squirrell

She was underweight less than 60 lbs. i only feed her 4 cups of dry a day and reciently cut her back to i1/2 cups a feeding plus i heaping spoon of canned dog food and 1 heaping spoon of a vegetable and maybe a little greek yogert. And a little water. I just don't believe in giving someone or something meds that they don't need. He said they have a lot acid in their gut and it's a preventave. Will help also with gum and tooth problems, but i think they get those problems becuse they don't chew their food they inhale it!!

Hmmm.... I'm the first to say I'm no expert BUT your vet saying "they" have a lot of acid in their gut is wrong, IMO. That's like saying all Greyhounds are allergic to chicken, or whatever. My first thought when I read this was to wonder if your vet is Greyhound savvy.

Like you, I don't give meds unless necessary, and being on something like Pepcid every day doesn't sound necessary. It sounds like overkill or there is something else wrong with your girl.

If your girl is at a good weight and you don't want her to gain any more, I'd cut back on her food. My Annie Bella weighs 65-66 pounds. She gets 3 cups of kibble a day, split between breakfast and supper. She gets no wet food. She gets a few treats. She seldom gets people food, other than a few veggies once in a while. She easily gains weight, though we walk a couple of miles a day and she has a yard to play in, so I'm very careful about what she eats and what I allow others to give her.

• 3 weeks later...

Get the tablets that aren't chewable. Also aren't some dogs given Metamucil in their food for poop firming?

Missing my sweet girl Scout. My snuggler, my chow-hound, my kissy girl.
It never thunders at the Bridge, and your food bowl is ALWAYS filled.

So strange not living in Atty World. I was a love struck handmaiden to your every whim.

Guest PiagetsMom

Folks, how do you administer the Pepcid? Bottle says it must be chewed, not swallowed whole...I crushed it with a mortar and pestle and stirred it into some peanut butter but my girl is off her food, even PB. What to do?

When I've had to give, I was told to give the Original Strength Pepcid AC 10 mg "pills". They're very small, and I put them in a little blob of cream cheese, but they're small enough to work in pretty much anything you think you might be able to tempt her with.

Edited by PiagetsMom

Pepcid AC is regular Pepcid. That is what you would give. You would not give Pepcid Complete.

It sounds like the chewables may be Pepto Bismol rather than Pepcid? You wouldn't use that as a preventive either.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Pepcid AC is regular Pepcid. That is what you would give. You would not give Pepcid Complete.

It sounds like the chewables may be Pepto Bismol rather than Pepcid? You wouldn't use that as a preventive either.

What I got and gave her (1 only) is the CVS brand that says "Compare to the active ingredients in Pepcid Complete." Specifically got this to avoid the AC type. Cripes, AC, PC,...with 26 letters of the alphabet at their disposal could the drug companies name their poisons

a little differently to avoid confusion??? On my part, anyway.

What is the difference between Pepcid Regular and Complete?

Pepcid AC (regular Pepcid) is famotidine only. That is what you want.

Pepcid Complete contains famotidine, calcium, and magnesium. You don't want that. A dose or two won't hurt the dog, but the calcium and magnesium can interfere with other medications. Famotidine interferes with very few things.

• 2 weeks later...

We use it all the time. 20mg once a day. Generic good too,

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Pepcid AC (regular Pepcid) is famotidine only. That is what you want.

Pepcid Complete contains famotidine, calcium, and magnesium. You don't want that. A dose or two won't hurt the dog, but the calcium and magnesium can interfere with other medications. Famotidine interferes with very few things.

Thank you, Batmom...once again you have 'splained things nicely!

She was underweight less than 60 lbs. i only feed her 4 cups of dry a day and reciently cut her back to i1/2 cups a feeding plus i heoaping spoon of canned dog food and 1 heaping spoon of a vegetable and maybe a little greek yogert. And a little water. I just don't believe in giving someone or something meds that they don't need. He said they have a lot acid in their gut and it's a preventave. Will help also with gum and tooth problems, but i think they get those problems becuse they don't chew their food they inhale it!!

Dogs are supposed to have a lot of acid in their stomachs, it's one of the reasons why they can eat raw bones and we can't, and one of the reasons they're less likely to have issues with a piece of salmonella infested food than we are for example. I personally think Pepcid is overused from what I've seen on this board. There are certainly situations where its useful, sure, but as a preventative for a dog who has some soft stool? I wouldn't do it. I would try finding a food that your dog does better on. Could be the protein, the quality of the food, or the grains so consider picking one of those things and finding a food that's different inbthat regard. If she doesn't have full blown diarrhea, switch gradually and leave her on the new food for at least a few weeks.

I'll also add, 4 cups of food per day is still a lot of food for a female, and 70 lbs is also on the larger size for a girl. Can you still see the outline of the last few ribs, and can you see the tips of her hipbones?

Lastly, did she have this problem when you were feeding straight kibble, before you started adding all those additional things?

Edited by NeylasMom

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."