Ernie Won't Go Outside With My Husband

Guest laura150

Guest laura150

Please forgive me for all of my posts! I'm a worried new greyhound Mom.

For the past few days, Ernie will not go outside with my husband. Nothing happened (that we are aware of) to make him scared or not trust my husband.

We live in an apt so he can't let him out on his own. I'm away visiting my new nephew and there is nothing my husband can do to coax him outside. They got as far as the doorway and he wouldn't budge. My husband sat there for 30 min and he wouldn't go out. He will take good and treats from him.

Any advice from anyone who has maybe gone through something similar? I'm feeling really stressed out for my stressed out husband and pup.

Guest Scouts_mom

Did your husband try pushing? I'm serious. Sometimes when they statue like that, it takes a firm nudge on their behind to get them moving. Pulling doesn't have the same effect, because they expect that and will dig in against it. But a firm nudge will make them jump, then start moving.

A nudge and a consistent verbal cue just before it to indicate that "I want you moving forward now" is a good idea. Monty's is a "boop" (to step or two forward, just a shift in position), and a "too slow" (if he's stopped to sniff something and I want to move on after having given him a chance, to say we're moving on and walking), and "nope" (when it looks like he's going to try to stop, and I just don't let him). For Boop and Too slow, I tell him about a second before the physical manipulation begins, the "nope" is when he angles his head a certain way or shifts slower and I don't slow at all and make him get back on pace.

The commands won't be instantaneously understood, but you don't have to bark them or say them gruffly, I just like to give the dog a chance to learn that sometimes I want him to do something without needing to resort to physical manipulation and if you train him that the command means a certain action will follow, they'll get it. And eventually they'll hear it and will move before you need to resort to any manipulation at all. :)

Have your husband put his leash on (the dog, not the husband). Use treats if necessary to lure him out the door. The push-from-behind-with-the-knees can also be used.

Edited by greysmom

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

All good advice above. I will add to remember to look in the direction that you want to go. If you stand there looking down at the dog, the dog is not going to move. Keep your eyes up and your entire body language will change to language that encourages your dog to move.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Guest laura150

Ernie has turned a corner w my husband. It wasn't just the refusing to leave the doorway, it was even trying to put on his harness and leash. He was able to get Ernie in the car yesterday morning to head to the dog park where there were coincidentally 2 other greyhounds and it was love. He frolicked and ran w them for awhile and his mood improved significantly. He's been going out w my husband now with little resistance. Yay!