My Little Girl Is Sick, And I'm Worried....

Guest Oakleylove

Guest Oakleylove

It's been a while since I've been on Greytalk, but you guys are always so helpful. My little girl is 8 years old, always been healthy, except for a misdiagnosed low thyroid (that's a whole other story!). I woke up Wednesday morning to find she had thrown up, quite substantially. She was very lethargic that morning, but still went out and went to the bathroom. Every once in a while she will get an upset tummy, but it always passes so I wasn't worried. I got home Wednesday night, and she was still the same. didn't want to get out of bed, and she was very warm to the touch. She didn't want to eat or drink. I waited a few hours, then decided to just take her to the emergency vet, because I just knew something wasn't right. She had a tempature of 104 and was slightly dehydrated. they gave her some fluids and an anti-vomit med. they did her bloodwork, and it all came back normal. They couldn't find anything to indicate something was wrong. They told me if her temp was over 103.5 this morning, to come back. It ended up being 103.3 this morning, and she ate a few small treats and drank quite a bit of water, so I felt a little better, but she was still just laying around, not really wanting to interact.

The only thing that has been different is that she was around a lot of unfamiliar dogs over the weekend, and ate some different treats than normal. She also was in my friends yard all day Saturday, so maybe she got into something outside? I just don't know what to do, or if I am maybe a little more worried than I need to be. Any advice please!!!??

There are a couple places in the country where a virus is running around, and also the dog flu. Where are you located?

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Has she thrown up any more since last night? Still running a fever? Do you have some anti-nausea meds (Cerenia, most likely) at home?

One of mine went through a couple days of barfing last week. She was fasted for a meal, got some Cerenia, and a bland diet for a couple days. Then she was fine. In the absence of clinical signs of disease, at this point, watchful waiting is probably what you're looking at. Make sure she keeps drinking and stays hydrated as vomiting can dehydrate them quickly. If she vomits again and/or has diarrhea, or iIf her temp spikes, I would take her in.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly