Jonelle Is Gone-We Are In Shock

greymomnc

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so very sorry your Jonelle is gone. I know the shock you are in~I Iost my Maggie April 2012, also very unexpectedly. She was a fine, spunky 10 year old who ate breakfast that morning and was gone within an hour and a half. The shock is horrible and I managed to take a very, very tiny bit of comfort that she died here at home where she felt secure and loved. Again, I'm so very sorry.

Run free, Jonelle.

My heart hurts for you. You truly did everything you knew to think of for your girl. Your vets saw nothing to note. I promise I don't say this glibly. I left home the morning of December 20, 2006 with a giant, moose of a happy, apparently healthy, silly girl. A girl who got off the elevator on the wrong floor and made me play chase with her. By 3:00 pm I had a (normally unflappable) semi-hysterical friend and dog walker call me to tell me to get home right now that something was wrong with Morgaine and she needed to call my vet. His number is on a sticker on my front door in case of fire. I ran out of the office with my wallet and threw myself in traffic to get a cab home. I talked to my vet who couldn't get to us in time but diganosed a status seizure. I got her to a local vet for emergency treatment and still lost her that night. We have no way of knowing how long she had been seizing before Kelly got there. She had been seen by the vet within the month. Sometimes these terrible things just happen and we are knocked flat. They offered me a necropsy as well but I saw no reason to do that to her.

Try to remember that you gave Jonelle all the love you had, that you gave her every care and joy. That she never knew any unhappiness with you.

Jonelle, run fast and free.

Please be gentle with yourself. Know that this will add an extra layer to your sadness, and let yourself grieve. From everything you said, I can't imagine how you could have known that something would take her so suddenly. I hope that in time, the knowledge that she was safe and happy and unconditionally loved till the very end, will bring you comfort, and call up your precious memories. I'm so sorry you lost your sweet Jonelle.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

I want to thank each of you for responding to my post. My husband and I read each one together. For those of you who had similar experiences, thank you for sharing. It's hard to go back and revisit events like that and I appreciate your willingness to do so.

I have thought about what everyone had to say. I believe that whatever was wrong with Jonelle, it would have taken some time to find with so little to go on. She did not have that time. If we had found something immediately, it was catastrophic and would have required an emergency decision with a poor prognosis. I might have put her through something that would have been unfair and lost her trying to fix it.

Jonelle had an interesting personality. She was just happy-go-lucky....ALL THE TIME. If she were recovering from a serious surgery/illness/condition she would have been miserable. She was a very independent girl and not being able to be who she was doing what she loved would have killed her in itself.

I was beside myself yesterday because we were not there when she took her last breath. She decided to stay in the family room instead of coming back to the bedroom. I now realize that if I had been there I would have panicked and told my husband to get her in the car to go to the evet. That would not have been the peaceful end I know she wanted. She was lying on her side in her favorite spot on her blanket. She did things on her own terms...always....this was no different.

I am thankful for 7 wonderful years and I wouldn't change a thing. Thank you all for helping me see things more clearly. I will post a full remembrance but here is one of my favorite pictures of her.

JonelleContestReduced-1.jpg

greytalksignatureresized.jpg

I am so sorry. Just heart Dr. Couto speak yesterday and his opinion is that sudden death in Greyhounds is most likely caused by a blood clot. There was nothing you missed, nothing you did or didn't do that would have changed the course of events.

It is a shock and a heartbreaking loss to have your beautiful Jonelle ripped from you so suddenly. I am so very sorry for your loss. I pray that in the coming days you will begin to put all the questioning to rest and remember Jonelle as she would have wanted.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Caria,

So sorry to read about Jonelle. My heart goes out to you.

My first dog Echo died suddenly in front of me back in 2008. He was only 8 years old. He had never been sick a day in his life.

We were out playing Frisbee in my yard on an early Spring afternoon. After a few throws he was acting tired and moving slower.

I figured just one more toss and we'd quit. He went after it, got it, started walking back to me, sat then laid on the ground and went into slight convulsions. I ran over to him and tried to revive him him, figure out how to bring him out of it. Within a couple minutes he died in my arms. I rushed him to the vet, but at that point he was gone. I hate to tell this story, but it can help you in any way, it's worth telling. His vet thought it was probably a brain aneurysm. We'll never know for sure.

Thinking back to it I'm still in shock. The pain subsides, though at the time I never thought it would. There is no time line for healing, but remember that you will heal. I will never hear completely. Echo will always be in my heart. I plan on seeing him & Zero again some day.

Bless you and Jonelle

Image removed, not within the GreyTalk signature guidelines of <15 KB file size limit. The image removed was 29.08 KB (29,782 bytes) file size.

It's hard to deal with, I know it took me a long time to get over Icarus' sudden passing in 2007. But the one thing I learned is that you can't sit there and wonder "what if". All the "what ifs" in the world won't make a difference, even if you could go back. If she was called and it was her time, there's often little anyone can do. You loved her as much as you could while she was with you and she passed in peace at home. What more can any of us ask?

My heart hurts for you. I know this pain and share in your grief. :'(

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

Carla, thank you for sharing that beautiful picture of Jonelle with us. Just wanted to let you know that you all remain in my thoughts and prayers.

:grouphug

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

So very sorry for the loss of y our beautiful Jonelle.

Remember the good times.....

We lost a 7 yr old Dobe the same way.

Fine one minute...gone the next.

:bighug

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

I'm so sorry, what a sad situation. I have not had anything similar happen, so I have no insight. Godspeed Jonelle, you'll be missed.

f_yellow

gallery_17374_2906_4494.jpg
Beverly. Missing my happy toy-flinging boy Sammy (Where's Mandrill), (8/12/2009-9/30-2021) Desperately missing my angel Mandy (BB's Luv) [7/1/2000 - 9/18/2012]. Always missing Meg the Dalmatian and Ralph Malph the Pekeapoo.

I'm so very sorry! :cry1

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Jonelle had an interesting personality. She was just happy-go-lucky....ALL THE TIME. If she were recovering from a serious surgery/illness/condition she would have been miserable. She was a very independent girl and not being able to be who she was doing what she loved would have killed her in itself.

I was beside myself yesterday because we were not there when she took her last breath. She decided to stay in the family room instead of coming back to the bedroom. I now realize that if I had been there I would have panicked and told my husband to get her in the car to go to the evet. That would not have been the peaceful end I know she wanted. She was lying on her side in her favorite spot on her blanket. She did things on her own terms...always....this was no different.

I am thankful for 7 wonderful years and I wouldn't change a thing. Thank you all for helping me see things more clearly. I will post a full remembrance but here is one of my favorite pictures of her.

JonelleContestReduced-1.jpg

I'm so sorry for your loss, but glad that you have found a measures of peace in knowing Jonelle's passing was done on her terms the way she wanted it to be. I just hate that she had to leave you so soon.

:f_pink

I'm so sorry.

I used to work for a hospice. There were so many, many times when a person died just in the few minutes it took the person with them to go to the bathroom, or make a cup of tea. We always thought the dying person was trying to make it easier for the one left behind.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter