Jonelle Is Gone-We Are In Shock

greymomnc

My sweet girl and best friend in the world passed away unexpectedly at home this morning. I am in shock and just don't understand. She was acting a bit down Monday evening. She had eaten her dinner and been for a walk and just seemed tired. Yesterday morning I had remembered she had been running after squirrels the day before and figured she had twisted her neck or shoulder again as she had done many times before. I gave her a Deramaxx and she seemed to be feeling better. She and Streak both had heartworm tests scheduled at the vet yesterday. I took them in and mentioned that I thought Jonelle had twisted her neck again but seemed better and got her tramadol refilled. She did fine for the blood draw for the heartworm and had her nails clipped and anal glands expressed. She was visiting with the vet staff and acting chipper.

I gave her a tramadol when we got home and she slept comfortably most of the afternoon. When she woke up I coaxed her into a short walk and she did her usual. She had not vomitted at anytime and her stools were perfectly normal. She ate her dinner last night. I had posted a few days ago about not wanting her morning meal sometimes, but after we cut back on the amount of food by a little bit, she had been eating with her usual gusto...running for the bowl...etc. She had actually gained weight from the new food so cutting back was the right thing to do.

Late last night she began panting when standing up but no panting upon lying down. No back arching like with pancreatitis. No bruising like I have seen in some dogs with hemangiosarcoma. Also, late last night she was drinking a lot of water. I told my husband I was taking her to the vet this morning if she was not back to herself. This morning my husband was up with her and she drank more water and went to sleep in the family room. She was gone at 6:00 this morning.

I feel like I missed something. If she had been throwing up, had abnormal stools, or not eating, I would have known something was up. We took her body to the vet and were considering an autopsy. After I found out what was involved with that, I did not want that done to her body. It would not bring her back and the vet said we still might not know. The vet thinks a possible stroke or blood clot.

I feel so torn. On the one hand, if I had left her at the vet and she had died there I would have been beside myself. But where would they start? There were few symptoms to go on and she wasn't drinking the water until late last night. She had a complete senior blood panel in May and her values were all perfect. She had just turned 10 in July.

If anyone has had something similar happen and feels like sharing please do. I will post a proper remembrance when I can get myself together. Thanks for listening.... Carla

greytalksignatureresized.jpg

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I have not had anything like this happen. I am so very sorry for your loss. :(

Good friends of ours lost a dog very suddenly, though--a greyhound. They went to a movie and when they came home they found Ginger dead. Vet said it was probably a stroke or a heart attack.

Not that it helps, but she got to pass at home, not at the vet's, and that's got to count for something. Again, I am so sorry.

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

:( I will add your beautiful Jonelle to the list of Bridge Angels. She will be in good company there.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Oh Carla, I can't believe this. I am so terribly sorry your beautiful, funny girl has left. My heart is breaking for you. How is Streak doing?? :grouphug :grouphug

Godspeed Jonelle, you will be so very missed.

Edited by FiveRoooooers

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I am so very sorry and know just how shell shocked you are feeling. Jonelle's passing sounds a lot like Bebe's, fine one minute, eating well, normal stools, playing in the yard and gone the next. If it's any consolation, Bebe and just been to the vet and all her labs were perfectly normal too, no symptoms what so ever. Our vet just looked at me and said Bebe and suffered a catastrophic neurological event, her guess was a massive stroke also.

Please don't beat yourself up. I know I did also, couldn't figure out what I missed and after going through it over and over, I didn't miss anything, it just happened. Hugs to you, I know how you are feeling.

Godspeed Jonelle.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I'm so sorry. I'm sure you did the right thing, you just don't realize it through your grief. :grouphug

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

I'm so sorry your girl is gone.

I lost 8-year-old Jacey not quite that fast, but that unexpectedly. She was fine at the vet for a well-dog visit on that Tuesday; diarrhea and vomiting Thursday night; in the ER Friday morning, and we put her to sleep that Monday. They diagnosed her with idiopathic immune mediated thrombocytopenia, but we weren't able to find the trigger. Her platelet count dropped from 200,000 to 17,000 in about 48 hours.

And I lost 8-year-old Oreo unexpectedly: she was fine at the vet on that Tuesday for shots, she broke her leg Wednesday evening in my living room, and she threw a blood clot and died in surgery on that Thursday.

I've had to stop trying to figure out how and why. There are no answers. And leaving Jonelle at the vet's would have been no guarantee of a different outcome for your girl. Both my girls died there; Oreo actually died on the table and they did CPR and couldn't bring her back.

I'm sorry.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

I'm so sorry. I lost my Jack suddenly, but his passing was not in the same way. I honestly don't know if it is harder when you have time to say good-bye or if it is sudden. It is so hard both ways. I know it is a complete shock when they leave us suddenly. Hugs to you.

Patty,

Mom to Jaxson 5/12/2017

Forever in my heart: Joey 11/01/2007 to 12/06/2018, Scout 11/19/2005 to 07/15/15 and Jack 01/03/2004 to 06/11/2011

I lost my cat booger suddenly in Dec. 2010 and I wasn't even home. I rescued him from a dumpster in Georgia when Iowa's in the army. I bottle fed him and everything. He was a big healthy cat of 10 years when he died. My husband said he came running out of the litter with our other cat chasing g him lime they always did. Booger ran to the door to look out, let out a huge weird meow, fell over and died. He called me to let me know, I was doing some training for the national guard and wasn't home. I was heart broken. He had been my buddy and was my longest relationship aside from family. I couldn't even look at his picture for the longest time. I'm sorry for your loss, it hurts when we lose our fur babies.

My heart is breaking for you. It is just gutting when it is unexpected like that. My soulmate Slim was fine when I came home one day and then only a few hours later.....But one of the things he taught me is that when it is their time to cross over they are going and there is nothing you or anybody else can or could have done to stop it. In Slim's case it was technically bloat/GDV/DIC but if it would not have been from that then it would have been from something else but he taught me and I know, that nothing can stop it. So I think you are very wise for not getting the necropsy. Whatever it was if it wasn't from that then it would have just been from something else. What's so tragic is that she had to leave so soon like that. I do not know if the animals have any control over the timing and manner -I think they do have some input sometimes-but other times I think they are surprised to. Slim fought very hard to stay with me and endured a lot of pain as he coded twice. I don't think he knew either. But he also taught me that it was only his body that died. The real Slim that I love-the spirit-is with me today and will never leave. Right now you couldn't possibly see anything through the tear filled eyes, but as time goes on perhaps Jonelle herself will help guide you on this journey. :grouphug

((((hugs))))) I am so very sorry for your unexpected loss. I can only share that I had a dog on tramadol once (not a grey). The vet thought she had a seizure perhaps from the tramadol and then she wasn't the same a day later and she died.

💙💜💚💛❤️

I forgot how to put a pic in my signature. Please pm me if you can help. Thanks

I'm very sorry for the loss of your sweet girl. :f_pink

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Oh, Carla, I'm so very, very sorry for the unexpected loss of your gorgeous Jonelle. Words fail me.

Rest in peace at the Bridge, beautiful Jonelle.

:grouphug:brokenheart:f_red

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France