Ernie Stomps His Feet When He Meets New Dogs

Guest laura150

Guest laura150

I searched for this topic but couldn't find exactly what I was looking for.

Ernie loves dogs and is very interested in them (both on leash and off leash at the dog park). He is a big sniffer and is fine being sniffed. He wags his tail but stomps his feet. I see it as that he wants to play with the other dogs. However, is this something else?

He's never exhibited any behaviors towards myself or other dogs of any sort of dominance. He has no space aggression either and is fine w/a group of dogs.

I do know that I need to be cautious with little dogs. He sniffs then and is ok being sniffed and that's usually the end. We don't encourage him to play with the smaller dogs but don't forbid it.

If his stomping is accompanied by a wagging tail and the jumpiness of, hey, let's romp (or what I see it as)-is that dominance or play?

Anyone have experience with seemingly playful stomping w/other dogs?

I've seen Rudy do this a few times when a dog is coming up and he is particularly excited about them. The first time I saw him do it was when I brought him out to my parents' place for the first time and they brought their smooth collie, Jack, out to meet him in a fenced area. As Jack approached, Rudy whined and wiggled and stomped his feet. Since that time he always seems particularly excited/happy to greet Jack even though they don't really play. He just likes him.

I just see it as excitement, definitely not an aggressive behavior. Will be interested to see what others have experienced.

I would have to see the behavior to be sure of what it meant. It could be excitement, but it edges into a dangerous level of it, in my thinking. I am partly basing this off my little rattie, who stomps at things (lizards, bugs, etc) to make them run so that she can chase them. So I think that there could be a bit of prey-drive mixed into that excitement. WIth dogs similar to yours in size, it's probably not an issue. With smaller dogs, I could see it turning bad.

But, as I said, I would have to see exactly what it looked like to be sure of how I would respond to it.

77f6598d-2.jpg

My blog about helping Katie learn to be a more normal dog: http://katies-journey-philospher77.blogspot.com/

Sounds like it's excitement/play to me. Although it's hard to really say without seeing it. What about the rest of his body language? Tail wagging doesn't mean all that much really in and of itself. Is his body otherwise soft and moving or is he stiff or still? What's going on with his face? Happy, open mouth, soft eyes or is he starting the other dog down with his mouth clamped closed?

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest mirinaaronsmom

Mojo used to do this sometimes at Meet 'n Greets when another greyhound would come. He was just happy and excited to see other greys. I did also see him do it a couple of times at the library when there were other therapy dogs that he was excited to see. It was never aggressive behavior on his part.

Every so often Summit meets a dog that he just loves and he wags his tail a million miles a minute, play bows, then stands up straight and stomps his feet at them. It's really cute. Could be that, but as others have said a video would be most helpful.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

From what I have read, it means he wants to play. I've seen both Sidney and June do it.

Greyhounds: Amelia (Cataloosahatchee 9.10.17) & Carmen (Rebellious Bird 8.23.17)
Kitty: Biggi Paws (7.4.13)
Horse: WC Kharena (2.28.17)
Rainbow Bridge: Raider Kitty (4.1.01 - 8.12.21), Sidney (Kane's Seminole 11.14.08 - 9.26.19 ), June (Potrs June 6.1.09 - 3.1.19) Bella the Rottweiler, Kitties: Spike, DC, Gilda, Killer, Sophie & Nala 

The whining sounds like excitement to me too. I would be very surprised if it's not just excitement/wanting to play. The thing to maybe be careful about - arousal can turn into aggression, I sort of think of it as the gateway drug. :lol But perhaps more importantly, if he's really amped up and trying to get to the dog, he may be overly exuberant in his greeting, which could piss some dogs off. Especially if you and the other owner are tightening up on the leashes and forcing them to stay face to face. But if he calms down once he gets to the dog and is able to greet him properly, then I wouldn't worry.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

The thing to maybe be careful about - arousal can turn into aggression, I sort of think of it as the gateway drug. :lol

This is so true. Off-leash, I allow those kinds of behaviors. It's whatever. But I'm always super careful to redirect and practice impulse control if one of my dogs gets hyperstimulated on leash. Arousal can turn into "leash frustration" where the dog is so excited but can't get to the other dog because he's restricted by the leash. Then things can turn aggressive really quickly.