Possible Procedure On Pressure Sore

Molly ended up with a pressure sore on her elbow from the splint and it isn't healing. We're starting our 2nd round of antibiotics but the vet isn't confident it will work (in fact he's pretty sure it won't but he wants to try all options before cutting). He thinks he's going to have to cut around the skin and suture it together.

Thoughts? Experiences? Words of advice? (It's a good thing I love her... She's costing me a fortune and cutting years off my life.)

Molly ended up with a pressure sore on her elbow from the splint and it isn't healing. We're starting our 2nd round of antibiotics but the vet isn't confident it will work (in fact he's pretty sure it won't but he wants to try all options before cutting). He thinks he's going to have to cut around the skin and suture it together.

Thoughts? Experiences? Words of advice? (It's a good thing I love her... She's costing me a fortune and cutting years off my life.)

We had this happen to Mork also. It helped a little. What healed him ultimately was Manuka honey and I highly recommend using it

The thing I learned in dealing with a pressure sore is to make sure you do a culture and sensitivity on the sore before trying to suture it together. We didn't, and Wren's sutures dehisced (didn't hold), and it turned out that the bacteria infecting her sore like to destroy epithelial cells. *sigh* And by then, enough skin had been cut away that it would have been impossible to suture it again, given the location of the sore... too much stretching of the skin would have been needed.

If you do have to bandage it, make sure there is a "donut" around the sore - no bandage material should touch the sore directly. I didn't do that for the first few months trying to heal it... she would get a nice granulation bed, but no more because new cells were getting rubbed off by the bandage (the sore was on the "outside" of her toe knuckle and there was some movement of the bandage with every step). As soon as I read about caring for decubital ulcers in my vet tech textbook, I switched to placing a donut around the sore, and lo and behold, the wound started closing. :headwall

Edited by dmswartzfager

Deanna with galgo Willow, greyhound Finn, and DH Brian
Remembering Marcus (11/16/93 - 11/16/05), Tyler (2/3/01 - 11/6/06), Frazzle (7/2/94 - 7/23/07), Carrie (5/8/96 - 2/24/09), Blitz (3/28/97 - 6/10/11), Symbra (12/30/02 - 7/16/13), Scarlett (10/10/02 - 08/31/13), Wren (5/25/01 - 5/19/14),  Rooster (3/7/07 - 8/28/18), Q (2008 - 8/31/19), and Momma Mia (2002 - 12/9/19).

Sahara had an elbow pressure sore that wouldn't heal. Luckily, we did a culture and found it was a staph infection that was resistant to most abx. It healed up fairly quickly once she was on the correct meds.

Rebecca
with Atlas the borzoi, Luna the pyr, and Madison the cat, always missing Sahara(Flyin Tara Lyn) and Coltrane(Blue on By) the greyhounds