Heartworm Prevention Advice Please

We have been using Iverhart Plus for a couple of years now but apparently the recent recall has interrupted the availability at Foster and Smith ($54 for 12). PetMeds has the 12 pack for $82 and if I get in a pinch I guess I can get them there. We're set for another 2 months but I would like to order again soon. Jimmie tested clear of heartworms the other day at his annual exam, but with his ongoing seizure meds I hesitate to change brands if I don't have to. He's on potassium bromide and pheno which we're hoping to soon eliminate. Any advice on switching the heartworm prevention? It seems like every product is suspect and may be recalled at some point so I don't have much confidence. And I don't want to over medicate with an intestinal parasite control if it might complicate his condition.

I'm interested in which products are everyone using and any advice relating to how they may or may not affect Jimmie on his existing meds.

Thanks in advance.

Jody

Jody, Leah & Jimmie
Tavasci%2520august%2520sunset%2520%2528C
You left us much, much too soon Lima & Chip :brokenheart

I have a seizure dog, and I asked the neurologist about this once. She said that unless there is a pattern of flea/tick/heartworm preventative CAUSING a seizure (like within a day following application), it doesn't matter what kind you use. It most likely won't affect anything. So with that being said, I agree with Pam. Heartworm meds all have pretty similar ingredients (ivermectin), so I'd probably just go with whatever is in your pricepoint. We use Heartgard with no problems.

I don't have any experience with a seizure dog, but wanted to suggest Quadriguad. Our vet, a VCA branch, started carrying this. It's similar to Heartguard but also covers tapeworms. I got a single dose to try on James, who would normally have a day of running poo after Heartguard. He had NO reaction to the Quadriguard.

Yep, that's sort of what I thought too about the ivermectin. Guess I just wanted to hear you guys say it :) I haven't seen a correlation between the seizures and the preventative thankfully, but I didn't want to compromise anything that's working.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

j

Jody, Leah & Jimmie
Tavasci%2520august%2520sunset%2520%2528C
You left us much, much too soon Lima & Chip :brokenheart