Question Plus Picture

Guest mischaluvsgreys

Guest mischaluvsgreys

Hi. I have a question (I hope this is not inappropriate but we are all adults here). My greyhound Minnie that I've had for half a year insists on "goosing" me and my boyfriend A LOT. What I mean is, when I'm clothed (especially naked before a shower), Minnie likes to come up behind me and put her cold wet nose in the middle of my butt if you know what I mean. LOL. I know one of her ways of greeting us is to sniff our arms and legs, but she also likes to sniff our privates, including the crotch area and behind. I was wondering, do any of your greyhounds do this? Should I let her continue to do this? I'm sorry if this seems silly but I'm serious. I'll be cleaning in shorts and a tee and all of a sudden WET NOSE on my butt. Yikes. I have also posted a picture of Minnie hiding under my computer desk. She did this this morning because it is thundering real bad in Florida. She doesn't like thunder so she tries to hide. I always comfort her when this happens though. Is it ok to let them hide? or should I try to show her thunder is ok? I guess this post is really two questions. Any suggestion appreciated. Thanks for your time.

2013_06_11_13_02_31.jpg

Poor frightened bb! I know what you mean about the goosing though. Dane actually nipped my mom on the butt the other morning!! :rofl He hasn't done it since, but I think maybe he was just so excited to see other mama maybe?? xD

Sweep is a butt/crotch sniffer too. I have posted on the same topic before, and it seems like it's fairly common (for all dogs, not just greys, but greys have a height advantage!). We're pretty used to it now and just try to get dressed quickly or avoid bending over when she's nearby. :hehe It's still embarrassing when she does it to strangers, but it's just how dogs gather info and say hi, so most people are pretty understanding about it if I don't manage to pull her back in time.

Sweep is also a thunderstorm-phobe. We've had her for 10 months, and she's progressed from pacing/panting during storms to seeking out her crate and staying in there til it passes. I think it's OK to let them hide; seems like a natural instinct to me. I do make every effort to behave normally and go about my business instead of babying her (as tempting as that is) because I don't want to reinforce her behavior. There's some good info and suggestions on my vet's website.

BTW, Minnie is beautiful!

Edited by ramonaghan

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

Both my (at the bridge ) greys were terrified of thunder and loud noises like firecrackers. I successfully used a thunder cape (out before thunder shirts) . It really helped them calm down. I would always put it on them when a storm was approaching. After they passed, I gave it to my niece who used it on one of her dogs. I know others on this post have also used the newer thundershirts

Sorry I can't help with the "goosing" issue.

Mary - mom to Dollar and Arjay at the bridge

The nose thing, a lot of dogs do it. I don't know if you can actually stop it or not. I just usually push their head away and they get the picture. As far as her hiding during storms, let her. She feels safe there. I never babied mine during the storms though because it only seemed to make them worse. I just went about my business and let them hide where they needed to until the storm was over. I tried the thunder cape, thunder shirt and all the other things they market for thunderphobic dogs and none of them worked for me.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest Wasserbuffel

Let her hide from thunder, but don't coddle or you'll just reinforce her fear by making it seem like it's justified and there really is something to be afraid of.

I don't really have any ideas about the goosing. Like other said it's just a dog thing, greys just happen to be at the perfect height to get right into a human's business.

I had a pet duck that was really fond of shorts and skirts. He seemed fascinated by them, and would shove his bill up under a skirt or into shorts and explore by scissoring his bill open and closed between thigh and fabric. One of my cats is also a bit of a molester. He's declawed and loves to scratch his paws on people. He'll often come up from behind, stand on his hind legs, and rub a person's butt for all he's worth. He's not picky, he'll happily paw crotches, thighs, chests, whatever is in reach. Thankfully he thoroughly avoids touching his paw pads to bare flesh, so we don't get mauled while we're dressing.

I've gotten accustomed to these random goosings, but it can be really creepy when you're not expecting it and something starts feeling you up.

Edited by Wasserbuffel

Yeah, no help for the goosing thing - most dogs, not just greys, do it. Just push her nose aside and try not to bend over with your butt facing her! ;)

As far as thunder-phobia, there are a TON of threads here about dealing with it, just do a search, you'll have lots of ideas. Which ones you choose will depend a lot on how badly she reacts and can range from a thunder shirt to DAP sprays and all the way to prescription anti-anxiety meds.

But I totally disagree about the "coddling" comments above. If you have a baby or a small child who is frightened by something, you wouldn't stick them in a closet or their crib and just leave them alone to be scared out of their wits. Dogs aren't stupid and they can easily tell the difference between being comforted and being trained by reinforcement. If under your desk is her safe spot, and she's OK there during storms, then let her stay. Sit in the room with her, give her a pet or some encouraging words every now and then, depending on what she can tolerate. Let her know you're there for her. Don't abandon her when she feels most vulnerable.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Okay, on goosing. Funny story. My neighbors are really trashy and crazy. I don't really trust them, especially this one dude who always sits on his porch and watches me cutting grass. As soon as I fire up the lawn mower, he immediately comes out and watches me, like it's a show or something. So one day I was cutting the grass, and the mower was of course, really loud. Crazy guy was out on his porch, but then I saw him disappear for awhile. Out of nowhere, I feel something on my butt. I PANICKED, thinking it was creepy-neighbor-porch-watcher. I let go of the mower, turned around reaaaally slowly. In those seconds I convinced myself it was creepy neighbor, and I'd have to start fighting him...

and it was TRUMAN! :rofl

But I totally disagree about the "coddling" comments above. If you have a baby or a small child who is frightened by something, you wouldn't stick them in a closet or their crib and just leave them alone to be scared out of their wits. Dogs aren't stupid and they can easily tell the difference between being comforted and being trained by reinforcement. If under your desk is her safe spot, and she's OK there during storms, then let her stay. Sit in the room with her, give her a pet or some encouraging words every now and then, depending on what she can tolerate. Let her know you're there for her. Don't abandon her when she feels most vulnerable.

Oh no, I hope that is not the impression I gave! I certainly don't abandon Sweep and am often in the room with her (I work from home, so that's usually the case). It's just that I don't baby-talk her or hold her close throughout a storm, which would be nearly impossible anyway since she retreats to her crate. I act normally, meaning I do still talk to her and pet her, but if I need to do something in another room for a couple of minutes, I will. I also try to remain calm myself; as hard as it is to see her stressed, I wouldn't want her to sense any tension or weird vibes from me on top of what she's already feeling.

I second the radio suggestion (we go with classical); that's the one thing we've tried that does seem to help her stay settled rather than becoming Pacey Pacerson. I turn it on before the thunder starts whenever possible. We have not had much luck with Rescue Remedy.

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

Autumn's not thunder-phobic, but it does make her a bit wary and clingy. I just make sure she can "Velcro" as long as she needs to, even if it means she accompanies me during "private" moments ;). After a while, she seems reassured enough to venture away, but still in the same room. ITA that if you'd comfort a child, our "fur kiddies" deserve the same :).

Re: goosing........yep, greys are at the perfect height! :D

Okay, on goosing. Funny story. My neighbors are really trashy and crazy. I don't really trust them, especially this one dude who always sits on his porch and watches me cutting grass. As soon as I fire up the lawn mower, he immediately comes out and watches me, like it's a show or something. So one day I was cutting the grass, and the mower was of course, really loud. Crazy guy was out on his porch, but then I saw him disappear for awhile. Out of nowhere, I feel something on my butt. I PANICKED, thinking it was creepy-neighbor-porch-watcher. I let go of the mower, turned around reaaaally slowly. In those seconds I convinced myself it was creepy neighbor, and I'd have to start fighting him...

:rotfl

I agree this is just a "dog" thing, but it sure can be embarrassing when they do it to guests :lol Greys do have quite a height advantage too. I've found different dogs do different things too. My dearly departed golden didn't do any intrusive sniffing at all. My lab mix Raven is an armpit sniffer! :eek She's startled me more than once with a cold nose to the armpit when I'm wearing short sleeves! My oldest girl used to sniff unmentionable areas too. Rudy mostly has seemed uninterested in sniffing people other than if they have food on them :hehe .

I was hoping never to have to report my situation but with what others have posted, it would be negligent of me not disclose Hester's sniffing habits.

He prefers young women but he won't go near them if they are overweight. You get the idea, if I take him downtown or anywhere there are crowds, he gets busy intimately checking out attractive young women. If I am not paying attention it can get very embarrassing. He will sniff men if that is all that is available (although again, not if they are overweight), but he prefers women.

What I do notice is that if he does sniff someone than he is also interested in that person and will proceed to a more complete greeting, looking up at them, standing close, etc.

Edited by KickReturn

Guest mischaluvsgreys

Let her hide from thunder, but don't coddle or you'll just reinforce her fear by making it seem like it's justified and there really is something to be afraid of.

I don't really have any ideas about the goosing. Like other said it's just a dog thing, greys just happen to be at the perfect height to get right into a human's business.

I had a pet duck that was really fond of shorts and skirts. He seemed fascinated by them, and would shove his bill up under a skirt or into shorts and explore by scissoring his bill open and closed between thigh and fabric. One of my cats is also a bit of a molester. He's declawed and loves to scratch his paws on people. He'll often come up from behind, stand on his hind legs, and rub a person's butt for all he's worth. He's not picky, he'll happily paw crotches, thighs, chests, whatever is in reach. Thankfully he thoroughly avoids touching his paw pads to bare flesh, so we don't get mauled while we're dressing.

I've gotten accustomed to these random goosings, but it can be really creepy when you're not expecting it and something starts feeling you up.

LOL about your cat! I wish I could have a cat but sadly the boyfriend is severely allergic....sigh....we might get a sphynx cat if he can tolerate them. I've only had cats growing up & Minnie is my1st dog but not the last. My cats have always been like dogs because they're sooo friendly, full of life, personality, and purrs. Oh how I miss purring! I will buy a thunder shirt and see how Minnie responds.

I was hoping never to have to report my situation but with what others have posted, it would be negligent of me not disclose Hester's sniffing habits.

He prefers young women but he won't go near them if they are overweight. You get the idea, if I take him downtown or anywhere there are crowds, he gets busy intimately checking out attractive young women. If I am not paying attention it can get very embarrassing. He will sniff men if that is all that is available (although again, not if they are overweight), but he prefers women.

What I do notice is that if he does sniff someone than he is also interested in that person and will proceed to a more complete greeting, looking up at them, standing close, etc.

LOL. I wonder why your grey doesn't like to sniff overweight ppl. Seriously, why? just curious. My grey likes to sniff on everyone! especially guys! Minnie is female so maybe she prefers the opposite sex. Wow greys sure do have interesting personalities! I enjoyed reading these responses! Keep em' comin' if u can!

Ok this cracked me up! :rofl Best story I've hears all week :hehe

Guest Scarter55

Lady is a big gooser (didn't have a term for that before, thanks). She stays downstairs, so luckily I've never been "goosed" in my b-day suit. But it is awkward with a female guest comes over wearing a skirt. Lady doesn't always act very lady-like. If I'm good friends with the person, I'll just point out that that area of the body has the most interesting smells, from a dog's POV.

The nose thing, a lot of dogs do it. I don't know if you can actually stop it or not. I just usually push their head away and they get the picture. As far as her hiding during storms, let her. She feels safe there. I never babied mine during the storms though because it only seemed to make them worse. I just went about my business and let them hide where they needed to until the storm was over. I tried the thunder cape, thunder shirt and all the other things they market for thunderphobic dogs and none of them worked for me.

Mine like to be personal too. I use the "leave it" command and it works well. They still attempt it from time to time, but the command now lets them know I don't like it. :flip

Guest GalgoMom

My galgo is a huge butt-sniffer!!! He is pretty timid, so his prefered method of greeting people is to approach them from behind and sniff their butt/back leg area while they are otherwise distracted.

It can be a little embarrassing, but it is a huge improvement from being terrified and rapidly backing away from all strangers, so I let it slide.

He definitely "gooses" my husband and I with his cold wet nose, but we laugh about it - it's one of his many ways of showing us love and affection, and that we are 'his' people, so it's all good.

Guest maidmarcia

Cold nose up the nekkid bum-bum before a shower!! Haha! Licorice does this to me too. I just get dressed quickly around him...and I NEVER bend over nekkid.