Neurological Puzzle

Guest GreytgroupLeader

Guest GreytgroupLeader

Two months ago during a terrific thunder event Fionn experienced two seizures. He's been on low does medication since then. Last Tuesday Jim noticed that Fionn wasn't acting quite right. Nothing he could put his finger on but just not acting his normal self. Wednesday Fionn's neck crooked over to the side and he was lethargic. There was no trama. He immediately took Fionn to the vets as an emergency. Fionn's been there ever since. He's running no fever. His blood levels are all with in normal limits - the doctor is greyhound savy. He's peeing, pooping, and his temperamnet are normal. Fionn's neck is crooked over to the side. His paws will tuck under. Everything poins to nerological problem. Fionn has an appointment at Cornell on Thursday.Fionn.jpg

Has anyone experienced this with their grey.

:hope:candle

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Good thoughts for you and Fionn.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

:goodluck

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Poor baby. Prayers going up for your boy.

My Minny suddenly manifested seizures and a very similar head tilt and his eye(s) were 'off' too and it turned out to be brain cancer. I believe it was exacerbated by a rabies shot that he had a severe reaction to. He had NO previous seizures before that shot. But there are many things it can be and some are fixable so don't despair! :grouphug

Guest GreytgroupLeader

Cornell called today and moved Fionn's appointment up to 11:30am. They wll do the consult followed by the MRI so hopefully we will know something - positive or negative on Thursday.

Wow, do you know who your doctor will be? I think they can't discuss cases unless given explicit written consent, but I can assure you that you are in excellent hands and incredibly competent professionals. I wish I were on Neuro rounds or something so that I can come over and give your pup a scritchie! Best of luck to you. I'm VERY interested to hear what s/he thinks.

ETA: Head tilts are very indicative of a problem with balance. One (of many) possible causes could be some type of lesion with the vestibulocochlear nerve.

Edited by Giselle

Wow ... poor Finn and poor you. I would be thinking neurological or cardiovascular, probably neuro. I wish you both the very best for your appointment. Please let us know how it goes. :goodluck:hope

Gosh, the sweet boy looks so much like my first greyhound, the beautiful Jim.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest GreytgroupLeader

All the test that could be reviewed yesterday revealed no definitive answers. The MRI showed no masses - really good news. There was a slight white shadow that is unknown in origin. They did a spinal tap and the fluid results were normal. They have termed it a vascular event but feel Fionn should have been making more recovery progress by now. All the blood work they did was within normal ranges. They did take additional blood to send out for a complete panel. These blood test results won't be ready for at least a week.

We picked Fionn up at our vets at 8:45am. It's a 2 1/2 hour ride to Cornell. Wonderful facility and greyt staff by the way. We arrived and Jim went in to check Fionn in. In a matter of minutes were were called (it was a beautiful day so I had Fionn resting on the grass) Fionn managed to walk all the way into the building and to the exam room, although he was very hesitant on the tile floors - I would be too if I was ambling like Fionn is. The doctor was just starting his exam when the fire alarm went off and we had to evuacate the building. Again Fionn made it over the tile floors to the exit before collasping onto the grass. Poor guy got put through the wringer yesterday. After reentering the building (by now Fionn needed help to steady himself) Fionn went for another exam by the neurological unit, followed by the MRI and spinal tap.

Fionn's treatment for the next ten days is 2 mega antibotics twice daily along with his seizure medication twice daily. Plus a lot of physical therapy.

They loaded Fionn in the car for us as by then Fionn was still coming out of the anisthisea and he was just plum tuckered out. We got home around 10pm. We had to carry Fionn into the house. He was laying down and I thought he was asleep. I started to get Mac and Chase fed when I looked over and Fionn was up on his feet looking for dinner. You just gotta love the fight and determination of this breed. Fionn ate all his dinner and finally drank some water. I figured as long as he was up I would take him out to pee. Fionn walked 50 feet to find that "right" spot and lifted his leg, the leg from his good side which meant the "bad" side was holding him up. Granted we had to carry him back into the house but with everything he had been through - he walked.

So for the next ten days we will work very hard to rebuild Fionn's strength and physical dexterity. At the end of ten days - Oct 3rd - he will be re-evualted to see if progress has been made and that of which is the most important Fionn's quality of life is one that keeps his dignity and outlook on life and not ours. So thank you everyone for all your prayers and keep them coming.

new pic of Fionn to come later today

What a brave boy - very best wishes for all of you. :beatheart

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis