Macy May Sudden Lump

Guest MnMDogs

I'm worried about Macy May. This lump appeared literally within hours last Wednesday morning. I took her to the vet Thursday, and the she aspirated blood only. She suggested watching and waiting for a week until my regular vet is back, as she didn't see any urgency in getting it removed at that time. She had no idea what could have caused this. The only long shot suggestion was that it could be related to the Pentoxyphilline that MM is on for her SLO, but she didn't seem to think that was too terribly likely.

As of Saturday, it was no longer the awful red color. But it's still very large :(. About 2 inches in diameter, and raised at lease 1/4-1/2 inch. She is completely unbothered by it. It's right near the left side of her tail. I'm bringing her back to vet Friday... Does anyone have any ideas what this could be???

I didn't notice it when we left for our walk (and it's not small, I'm sure I would have), the 2nd and 3rd pictures are from about 20 minutes into our walk. Sorry, last picture is huge... and there's a cameo by Greg

MacyLumpshaved.jpg

Macylump2.jpg

MacyLump1.jpeg

Did she have any kind of injections near that area?

It almost looks like an abcess trying to rupture.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Did she have any kind of injections near that area?

It almost looks like an abcess trying to rupture.

No injections, nothing that looks like a bite. I should clarify that it's back to normal skin color, but just as large... if it were an abscess, would just blood have come out on aspiration? It's all so weird. But it does look (and feel), like something needs to come out of there.

No trauma... She did mention hematoma. But it's getting bigger... Ryan and I are pretty sure it has actually gotten larger although it's now no longer red. Wouldn't a hematoma hurt? This is so strange

I don't - it doesn't look bruised at all? Can I get amicar at Walgreens?

If you're concerned that's its a bleed (lump getting bigger) Amicar won't hurt-might not help but, it won't hurt. I actuallyl got mine at Walgreens but, they had to order it for me. It's around $30 for 15 tablets. Keep a close eye on the lump-perhaps measure it as a control. Without trying to scare you they are some cancers that present this way--fingers crossed it's just a hematoma.

Btw-Amicar for an ave hound is 500mgs every 8 hours for 5ish days.

Thanks for the info- we're already worried about the worst possible diagnosis. She's the same age Matty was when she was diagnosed with bone cancer...and this is just such a strange event. I know she didn't bruise/bump it.

I would return to the vet in the morning for a repeat aspiration. They could send the slides of to the lab (looking for cancer cells)--they could also send some of the fluid out for a cytology. Remember to measure the diameter tonight. Fingers crossed it's just one of those weird greyhound things and it will resolve on its own.

:hope Sending good thoughts.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

It looks the same *maybe* smaller today (finally measured today...it's 2.125 x 2.5 inches). So I've rescheduled her appointment for when her regular vet is back on Friday am. Tomorrow will be one week since it appeared, and if needed I'll get her in sooner, but I really want our regular vet to treat her.

Thank you for checking :) Here's a picture of her cuter end trying to tell me to stop working a few weeks ago

smile.jpg[/url]

Well, I brought her back in for biopsy, and thankfully my vet was concerned about bleeding issues and checked clotting times first. I'm not sure which measurement (PT, PTT, INR) was 170, but it was, and high normal is 120.

Also slightly low platelets, but I'm less concerned with that. She's also bruised from the blood draws. The thought is that it's the pentoxiphylline that she takes for her suspected SLO, and that's unfortunate since it's really helped. But her blood draws back in June/May were normal. She's at the vet now for VitK and observation, and they're checking with the internist about the Pentoxiphylline. But I think I'm stopping it regardless.

The lump remains a mystery :( and she tried to jump in my car before I opened the door, so she hurt her neck. I want a do over on today.

And why oh why is it so impossible to locate amicar?????

Edited by MnMDogs

Believe it or not, I couldn't get Amicar from my pharmacy, but my vet keeps it on hand thankfully.

I was hoping my vet would, they only have IV, which they can use now. I'm going to have some ordered to have on hand.

I hope things are sorted out soon. It's hard enough to be worried about a dog without all the extra issues you've faced.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Ask your local Walgreens to order the Amicar for you-might take a day but, they can get it. Just an FYI-greyhounds that are known to be "bleeders"a or hounds that have post operative bleeding syndrome have normal clotting profiles.

If this lump persists I would think its time for a biopsy. Amicar first!

Edited by tbhounds