Sign in to follow this  
JAJ2010

Chewing My Leashes!

We can"t do nylon leashes any more. Miss Naughty Teeth has chewed through 4 this summer! She waits until I have my back turned and it only takes 2 chomps.

I ordered a chain leashes but I have a feeling I'm going to hate them! I like thin light leashes. We were using 1/2 inch nylon ones.

I've tried the Biothane ones but they are almost impossible to slip knot around my wrist. They are stiff, light, and just weird feeling.

I have a feeling leather will just be tastier than the nylon and even easier to chomp. Seriously one chomp and she has the leash 3/4 of the way severed.

Anyone have any brilliant ideas? for us? Other than just taping her to to a wall! :hehe

------

Jessica

I'll be watching this thread too. Princess Emerald Sassypants have gone thru a plethura of leashes, including one that was just minutes old. Bought it at GIG to replace one she just chomped, and when I went to purchase something else, she chomped thru that too!

Keep the leashes out of her reach, say a closet

Oh she does it after being leashed up and I'm usually putting a coat on on grabbing the keys. LOL Plus it's usually her sister's leash. Maybe she doesn't like the color purple? I'm guessing it's an excited nervous thing.

They do have an awesome replacement policy, but I would still rather not have to use it. I wanna be lazy and just have Sunshine proof equipment. Plus I'm worried what will happen if she does it when we are out during a walk. So far it's just been at the beginning while still in the house. These were my original back up if the chains make me twitch, but I have no illusions that she can't chomp through these. Would be a cheaper than what I'm currently doing though! LOL

------

Jessica

You could try a paracord leash. I googled - came up with lots of sellers. Here is one - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Custom-Paracord-Dog-Leash-/231058700386?_trksid=p2054897.l4275

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna

The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)

Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

Those look interesting! I wonder if they would taste less appealing.... Thanks! Does anyone have a paracord leash? If so how does it slipknot on your wrist?

I wonder if I could make them myself... Hmm... Now the brain wheels are turning

------

Jessica

I own Lupine leashes and they will replace them guaranteed even if chewed. I had to send one for replacement due to a broken clasp, just had to pay for shipping. Give them a try.

But certainly keeping them out of harms way first is a good deterrent!

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

i have used the lupine warantee- they are super nice about it. try it- why not?

as to biothane they do break in but i would contact dave at k9noz and tell him your needs. he can put an extra ring and clip on the lead so you can fasten it a 2nd time- one to the dog, one to yourself. maybe the european across the chest will work. but he's resourceful and makes excellent goods including martingale collars.

stay away from chain, they can snap if jerked the right way and they will be awful on your hands.

a good resource for cheap leashes is this excellent agility site- max200. they have cotton web leads that may fit your need, something you can dip in bitter apple- http://www.max200.com/max_storefront/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=162. if you buy them in bulk the price is fantastic- but they are only $6 and change otherwise.

putting them in a drawer when you come home and out of reach will be your best solution. i personally use biothane in the winter, i love the grip w/ gloves on and old fashioned cotton web leashes the rest of the year. for many many years i used leather- now i perfer broken in biothane.

Try soaking them with Bitter Apple. That's what we did with one of our dogs that chewed out of her harness. We went thru EIGHT in one week! Thankfully they were old ones! We finally would drench them with Bitter Apple then let them dry thouroughly before putting it on her.

Aljo Atomic Kogo and DC Man of Steal

stay away from chain, they can snap if jerked the right way and they will be awful on your hands.

Really :( I thought they would be sturdier! Well I guess that was wasted money.

I actually did order my biothane ones from k9noz a few years ago. I keep trying them every now and then and the stiffness of them always makes me twitch. Maybe I'll ask him if he can come up with a solution. Is there any way to break them in quicker?

Bitter Apple actually doesn't work. Neither does the cayenne pepper, spray on deodorant, perfume, etc. Found that out when she was eating walls. I guess in comparison this isn't so bad!

I did order some paracord. We are on vacation this weekend and that will be my arts and crafts project :) I'm so excited!

------

Jessica

Yellowsnowdoggear.com has a similar rerun policy to lupine. I don't trust Lupine leashes. The clasps don't work right and I've had loose foster dogs. Thankfully they came right to me, but I had issues with 2 different leashes,so it wasn't a one shot fluke.

Guest Waterdog66

I have a Paricord leash for Audrey and love it.

The handle is a loop woven into the braid of the rope.

It resembles a ski rope which seems somewhat fitting visually but otherwise is probably overkill. (Audrey walks with a slack leash and never pulls)

My guess is the thing is very sturdy and won't part when tension is placed on it but I would bet Audrey could chew through it if she desired.

The weave resembles a "Dynamic Rope" in that it does have a bit of stretch when a load is applied to it similar to the way a climbing rope does so if/when she does happen to charge ahead and find the end of the rope, it will soften the blow somewhat.

Edited by Waterdog66

Wow, that is some impressive chewing! I can't imagine my pups being able to do that!

I used to have a dog that would always bite and jump at the leash and I have to say, the chain leash fixed it completely. It is very unpleasant to bite on, so after a few tries she was turned right off of the habit and I was able to use a normal leash again. If you are worried about the chain breaking, you can also wrap, braid or interlace a chain with a nylon leash.

Lilly has gone through 4 leashes in the last 6 months because of this. Seriously. Two chews and a nylon web leash is completely severed! GGRRRRRRR!!!!! Plus, she has a thing for muzzle straps and she's had three brand new ones since she reached her adult size. We do keep them up and out of her reach, but she does have to *wear* them occassionally too! The last one was a one week old, brand new web leash from the GEM Store! Aargh!

Since she can chew through just about anything, I doubt there's much out there that would stop her other than a stainless steel cord!

Chris - Mom to: Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Lilly, and Felicity ( DeLand )

35764734494_93de5b5963_b.jpg

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), and Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby),

alum which can be bought in the spice dept of the supermarket is what one of the trainers i know uses to deter dogs from chewing. the only problem is you make a solution similar to the consisitancy of elmer's glue and spread it on the surface. works well for wood, furniture but i'm not sure about leashes.

as to the biothane i have a habit of folding my leash when i walk. that's what i learned in obedience training. i fold it up into 8"loops and grab onto the entire bundle of what is not being used. my dogs generally walk in areas where 6ft of leash is too much, we pass people, cars, busses, other dogs and so on. that probably helps break them in. you can always send me the leashes and i'll use them for a while- what thickness did you get? 5/8"/heavy duty??? maybe you just need a lighter and thinner lead. do see if bud will replace it and modify it. he stands up for his goods.

i personally can not use the parachute cord type lead, nylon leashes just don't have the grip that leather, cotton web or biothane have.

we did go thru a chewing thing for a while- but felix was a pup. i had him tied to a post w/ my late gal emily. when i returned both were standing there, emily's leash was chewed by felix. she didn't even know. also, we tried training felix to sleep on his bed and tied a leash to the closet door. 20 minutes after the lights were out, he was in our bed...leash chewed. our shoe maker has made more short leads out of 6 ft leads than you can imagine. emily went thru a plastic stage- left the muzzle hardware and that was it. i've learned to put things away. leashes and muzzles are hanging on the back porch.

Lilly has gone through 4 leashes in the last 6 months because of this. Seriously. Two chews and a nylon web leash is completely severed! GGRRRRRRR!!!!! Plus, she has a thing for muzzle straps and she's had three brand new ones since she reached her adult size. We do keep them up and out of her reach, but she does have to *wear* them occassionally too! The last one was a one week old, brand new web leash from the GEM Store! Aargh!

Since she can chew through just about anything, I doubt there's much out there that would stop her other than a stainless steel cord!

Now your thinking! LOL The girls are raw fed and watching them make mince meat of the giant bones I give them, gives a whole new respect to bite force! A steel cord might be logical!

------

Jessica

alum which can be bought in the spice dept of the supermarket is what one of the trainers i know uses to deter dogs from chewing. the only problem is you make a solution similar to the consisitancy of elmer's glue and spread it on the surface. works well for wood, furniture but i'm not sure about leashes.

as to the biothane i have a habit of folding my leash when i walk. that's what i learned in obedience training. i fold it up into 8"loops and grab onto the entire bundle of what is not being used. my dogs generally walk in areas where 6ft of leash is too much, we pass people, cars, busses, other dogs and so on. that probably helps break them in. you can always send me the leashes and i'll use them for a while- what thickness did you get? 5/8"/heavy duty??? maybe you just need a lighter and thinner lead. do see if bud will replace it and modify it. he stands up for his goods.

i personally can not use the parachute cord type lead, nylon leashes just don't have the grip that leather, cotton web or biothane have.

we did go thru a chewing thing for a while- but felix was a pup. i had him tied to a post w/ my late gal emily. when i returned both were standing there, emily's leash was chewed by felix. she didn't even know. also, we tried training felix to sleep on his bed and tied a leash to the closet door. 20 minutes after the lights were out, he was in our bed...leash chewed. our shoe maker has made more short leads out of 6 ft leads than you can imagine. emily went thru a plastic stage- left the muzzle hardware and that was it. i've learned to put things away. leashes and muzzles are hanging on the back porch.

I got a 1/2" light duty (single ply). Then a heavy duty (double ply) from another place because I thought the added weight might make it feel better. Both are just stiff and awkward. We usually walk in places where the girls are out sniffing in different directions at one time. The stiffness and lightness makes it hard to move the leash around my body without it getting caught on my clothes. Maybe I'm just too fat for them? :P

I wish just putting things away would work. The pups are looking for trouble with this cooler weather. Today they (ok probably just Sunshine) broke into the closet and had a bully stick party while I was at work today. :ghplaybow I don't even want to estimate how many they actually ate! :tomato

------

Jessica

Yellowsnowdoggear.com has a similar rerun policy to lupine. I don't trust Lupine leashes. The clasps don't work right and I've had loose foster dogs. Thankfully they came right to me, but I had issues with 2 different leashes,so it wasn't a one shot fluke.

Oh! Faulty hardware terrifies me! I actually stopped buying collars at greyhound events because of a few things that happened to other people's pups. I strictly stick to a new longdog leather collar every 2 years now. My girls don't pull, but I need something there for emergency purposes. I'll bookmark that website! Thanks

Wow, that is some impressive chewing! I can't imagine my pups being able to do that!

I used to have a dog that would always bite and jump at the leash and I have to say, the chain leash fixed it completely. It is very unpleasant to bite on, so after a few tries she was turned right off of the habit and I was able to use a normal leash again. If you are worried about the chain breaking, you can also wrap, braid or interlace a chain with a nylon leash.

That's a thought! I could braid the chain in with the paracord! Good idea!

I have a Paricord leash for Audrey and love it.

The handle is a loop woven into the braid of the rope.

It resembles a ski rope which seems somewhat fitting visually but otherwise is probably overkill. (Audrey walks with a slack leash and never pulls)

My guess is the thing is very sturdy and won't part when tension is placed on it but I would bet Audrey could chew through it if she desired.

The weave resembles a "Dynamic Rope" in that it does have a bit of stretch when a load is applied to it similar to the way a climbing rope does so if/when she does happen to charge ahead and find the end of the rope, it will soften the blow somewhat.

Hopefully I can make a paracord leash this weekend :) I can't wait! I hope I really like it. I'll make a few different ones. Two with the chain woven in then some plain ones. :) Maybe I should have ordered more than 500 ft of each color...

------

Jessica

It will be interesting to see the results of your weekend's work.

Miss "England" Carol with Chancey - (Goosetree Chance) and whippet lurcher Nutmeg

R.I.P. Bluegrass Banjoman. 25.1.2004 - 25.5.2015 and Ch. Sleepyhollow Aida. 30.9.2000 - 10.1.2014.

home depot- kiddie locks for the doors!

the closet invasion reminded me of the time emily went into our hall closet. the premire training pouch was hanging on the shoe rack. the night before it was filled w/ dehydrated liver- she tried her best to get it off but just couldn't. the metal shoe rack was mangled, the bottom of the training pouch consumed, but it was still hanging there. mind you, emily was a calm, reserved. mellow, female all the time except when it came to something edible! the training pouch was stored in the fridge after that incident.