Preventic And Cats, Dangerous?

Guest distorento

Guest distorento

Hi everyone,

We have a problem with ticks in our area. We tried using Advantix and unfortunately Sam did not react well to it at all. His back was itchy for close to two weeks and every time we would pet his back he would arch/curl his back. BUT, it's effective. We haven't found a tick on him since and that's what we wanted. SO we need to find another tick preventive solution...

We have read a lot about Virbac's Preventic collar (seems to be very effective). It seems to be the way to go. Our only worry is that it indicates that it should not be used on cats. We do have one cat, should we be worried? They are not at all fans of each other, but we all live together in the same condo.

Any feedback/advice/experiences you could share would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Guest Scouts_mom

What does your vet recommend? Grey's are extremely sensitive to many flea and tick treatments and if you are trying something new, you should check with a grey-savvy vet.

Edited by Scouts_mom

Guest distorento

Our vet recommended finding another solution rather than advantix. She doesn't know much about the collar. But it seems like a lot of people in this forum use the preventic collar so I'm not worried about my Grey. My worries area in regards to the cat...

The Preventic collars are dangerous for cats. I have used Preventic collars on my Greys when we were traveling & camping. The collars go on when we leave & come off before they go back into the house. The collars do need to be on the dog for a while before being effective. So I used Frontline spray on the dogs to cover the first day or two.

For regular day to day use I just use Advantage, not Advantix. We have a cat who has proved sensitive to flea/tick products supposedly safe for cats so we prefer not to take chances. When just going hiking or playing in the fields, I've used Frontline spray on the dogs while they were on the front porch as we were leaving. To date that approach has been effective without using Preventic. The Preventic collars were just for week long trips.

Note: Dogs can get sick from the Preventic collars if they get their mouths on it. May not be a problem for a one dog household. It's good to keep in mind for folks who have dogs that play mouthy games involving the neck area. Hasn't been an issue with my Greys but would have been with some other dogs I've had.