In Process Of Adopting Our 1St Grey

Guest kalzanetti

Guest kalzanetti

So we are in the process of adopting our first greyhound. I have wanted a greyhound 6 years ago, but was looking for a puppy. That route ended up with us getting 2 whippet puppies. I couldn't decide between a male or female, so I got one of each. Both are brindle, Zeus Apollo is light brindle and Aspen Extreme is blue brindle. Fast forward til now... I work in an emergency animal hospital and recently it seems, they normally come in groups of waves, greyhounds were coming in left and right. There are a few of us that are in awe of them when they come in and we are the ones to work them up and attend to their needs, what ever that may be. I have asked a few of the owners the process of adopting one and they explained things to me and what rescues they went through.

I sent my application it seems to everyone or close to every rescue in my state. Only to hear back that we were out of their area limits. they want to do home visits and then be there for us if we should ever have a problem. Or that they don't adopt out to families with kids under a certain age. I was becoming discouraged to say the least. I thought I would have to wait another 3 years before my child was of age. So I thought, why not offer to volunteer with a rescue close to me and get more exposure that way. Well I ended up being turned down mostly because I didn't have a grey to do meet and greet with.

Now I was thinking maybe I can get one from the track, but would have no idea on how to go about that. I looked into rescue out of my state and found one that was willing to work with me and it also had chapters in my state. SO.... I sent an email asking before I even tried to adopt what their age requirements were with kids. To my surprise they didn't have one and told me if I was interested to email my application in to her. And I did. It was this past Thursday I emailed it to her and she called me Friday. She wanted me to email her some of the ones I was interested in. I picked 4 females and 4 males. Their profiles are still in the process so, I figured the more the better. She will be calling my references Monday and I am excited. My daughter and I picked the dogs together and she already wants to rename what ever one we get "Pride". The funny thing is I already have a name picked out in my mind. I just showed my husband the photos tonight :) I am really hoping things go smoothly and we will be able to adopt one. I don't know how long the process takes, but I am hoping to have one by the end of the year ! Would love to start off the new year with a new addition to our family !!

How old is your child? I don't like to discourage you, but I don't know if I'd bring a grey in that was straight off the track in a home with very young kids. Adoption groups foster the dogs so they can gauge their temperament and response to children before they come to you. The age restrictions are usually there for a reason- many greys get bounced because of issues with kids. You take a huge risk bringing in a fresh-off-the-track dog with no idea how he'll react to your existing dogs and child in the home environment. Even the best behaved child can misinterpret a dog's signals and warnings.

Also, IME, tracks don't offer as much help and support if the adoption doesn't work out. About a year ago, I decided to adopt my grey's littermate from a track with the understanding that the dog was cat safe. I won't get into details, but he was not cat safe, and as a result I lost two of my cats. It was a devastating time for me, and on top of it, the track refused to take him back because they didn't have room anymore. I practically had to beg a local group to take him. It was absolutely horrible.

Adopting from a track isn't a big deal if you don't have cats or kids and you are willing to roll through ANY potential problem that can arise with that dog. But in your case, you have two big potential dealbreakers- your existing dogs and your child. I would seriously consider going through a group (even if it means waiting).

Guest mischaluvsgreys

I hope you find a greyhound. What state are u in? I live in Florida where there are a lot of tracks so it was easy for me to adopt Minnie back in April. Your life will be changed once you have a greyhound in it, I assure you that! :hehe

You have to be careful when it comes to kids. Fortunately for us there are two greyhound adoption agencies in our area. The first we contacted wouldn't even talk to us (and frankly was really rude to us during a meet and greet) because we have a 1 year old daughter. The reason that we were interested in Greyhounds was because during my research, I had come to the conclusion they were one of the better breeds for children due to their gentile nature. Nonetheless, they are still dogs and anything can happen.

After the first group was rude and pretty much showed us the door, we contacted the other group and they were very willing to work with us. We are now the proud owners of our first greyhound. Even with greyhounds you have to be patient until that right dog comes along. Fortunately for us the most gentile of dogs was already available. Where are you located?

The Elders Family

Ty :coffee Crystal :wife Caleb :guns Lizzie :offwall and Piper :ghplaybow