Mast Cell Tumour

Guest suzanne

Hi all

At my vet last night and she was very, very unhappy with a small lump on my dog's nose. She is going to put my dog under anasthetic on Monday and remove the lump. Then it will go away and be diagnosed/typed asmalignant or not.

I am in shock and extremely worried.

Is there much chance of it being benign? She said so many times how much she doesn't like the look of it that i dont' know. also due to it's placement there is not much space around it so i don't know how likely it is she can get clean margins.

Over all i don't know what to think.

She did say that even if it is bad news there are treatments available so that it is not a death sentence but even so... can't seem to stop crying.

I have had a lot of experience with cancer recently - none of it good all of it terminal, in my family and one of my dogs and just can't seem to think positive.

My dog is young and otherwise very healthy. Hopefully that will be of some benefit.

I only have experience of osteo so any stories/experiences/help re this type of illness would be hugely appreciated.

Edited by suzanne

Buck had a mast cell tumor but they were able to get it with clean margins and he never missed a beat.

When Buddy had lymphoma my vet was telling me about a newer drug for mast cell tumors that was having excellent results and a lot of vets were using it off label for various cancers. It was very pricey. If it doesn't ring a bell with your vet I can get the name.

:bighug for you and your girlie.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

thank you both. due the location of this one on the nose i am nervous about margins. vet advises me it will really bleed a lot too so i am needing to book some time off work next week to be at home, i think.

we have pet insurance so money is not an issue, it only covers up to 2000 a year i think so if it is bad news i think that won't last long so i need to get saving myself quite urgently but cost will not be allowed to be an issue here so i am trying to read up on everything now for the worst case scenario as at least now there's hope of a good benign outcome.

A few years ago my girl had a small lump which our vet said was suspicious. We did a fine needle aspirate and when the vet rang me with the results she said "it's cancer". I booked her in for surgery the next week, but a few days beforehand, the lump started to bleed and seemed to be getting smaller so I took her back to see the vet and asked if we could wait a few days to see if the lump went away. The vet said this was "very unlikely" but agreed. Well, the lump did go away and so far has not returned. Was it cancer? I have no idea. What I'm trying to say is that vets aren't always right about these things and things aren't always what they seem, so try not to get too far ahead of yourself in the worry department. I know this is easier said than done - I need to take my own advice here!

Best wishes for a good outcome to the surgery :goodluck .

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

Gracie had a growth come up suddenly. I forget the name but it was benign. She didn't even fuss with the stitches.

Before and after:

002-5.jpg

012-3.jpg

Eventually the skin went back to it's normal dark color.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

thank you all!

oh macoduck you've nearly set me off crying again - that is a very similar placement! and she had the surgery ok and margins were found? i was so petrified that the nose made it really impossible to cut out and find margins as i've read of people having problems with that on legs where there is far more space. your girl is beautiful too!

Did your vet aspirate the mass/lump?? Was it found to be a MCT? Even if it's a mct there are different grades-grade 1 is essentially benign, grade 2 can go either way and grade 3 & 4 we won't talk about. Keep in mind if it is a mct and you can't get clean margins as your vet said there are options--radiation is one and there's a chemo drug called palladia that was made to target MCT's (thanks to the very talented Dr Cheryl London at Ohio State :-( )

If it's not a confirmed mct there are a lot of other benign tumors it could be. Try not to worry until it's warranted :-)

Suzanne, Gracie's nose lump came up rather quickly and looked ugly. Fortunately it was benign.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

:hope Sending good thoughts for your girl and a hug for you. :grouphug

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Young dogs can get histiocytomas which are benign and normally resolve on their own in 6-8 weeks. MCT very much resemble histio and they are related, wacko reactions of histamine cells. MCT are cancerous. The drug an earlier poster is thinking of is Palladia and it does work. We've had a foster dog on it for inoperable MCT and you can't even see the tumor now. If she's taken off the drug the cancer will leave remission and be terminal. A needle aspirate with examination of the stained cells on a slide should be able to tell which kind of lesion you're dealing with. Surgery definitely for MCT. Leave it alone for a histio.

Angie, Pewter, and Storm-puppy

Forever missing Misty-Mousie (9/9/99 - 10/5/15)
Fort Wayne, Indiana

• 4 weeks later...

Hoping for an update.. :goodluck
Aston's new lump (discovered yesterday morning) may be a mast cell tumor. Biopsy results should come back on Friday. In anticipation of a possible MCT diagnosis, the vet gave Aston an injection of antihistamine after taking a punch out of the lump. She also mentioned that Aston's current prednisone regimen will count in his favor if it's indeed a mast-cell issue.