Broken Toe

Remolacha

Sallie has a wonky foot, her right rear. She has dislocated the outside toe, broken one of the middle toes, and on Monday she dislocated the outside toe again. Sigh. That was much better by the next morning, but I had my vet look at it, she thought it might have been broken, but it seemed better so we didn't do anything. Then, this morning she went outside before I got up and (probably) ran around the yard. I got up and found her trying to get back in through the dog door without putting any weight on the bad foot. If it wasn't broken before, it is now. I am torn between "poor baby" and "dumb dog"! I have given her some Tramadol, and half a rimadyl, I hope she feels better tomorrow.

Guest johnmclaren

Hii ... Hope your dog feels better!! I will suggest you to prepare your dog's kennel by putting a comfortable mat or towel so she can rest. You can prepare a makeshift splint for the dog just by a straight piece of material, setting it against the leg and wrapping it firmly (not tightly). The splint will prevent further movement of the leg. This will help her to recover soon.

Thanks! I don't splint the outside toes, although we did for the middle toe. She is much better this morning, still gimpy, but more willing to put some weight on it. Just needs some time now, and a way for me to explain to the girls that we can't go for walks until Sallie's toe is better!

• 3 weeks later...

I am resurrecting this topic because, after a couple of weeks of being fine, I heard whining from the kitchen, went in and found Sallie holding up the bad foot AGAIN! Don't know yet how bad it is, but I am beginning to think, if she keeps doing this, that it may need to come off. I really don't want to do that, but if she keeps hurting it every couple of weeks... I don't know how she did this time either, I was in the shower.

Guest WhiteWave

Know the feeling. Ronon has broken his toe again and he is hobbling around on 3 legs. It is quite sore. I feel like maybe just having the vet take it off. He has 2 toes that rotate causing problems, both outside/inside toes if that makes sense on the front feet. The toes that are on the right hand side of his left foot and left hand side of his right foot. I have taken him to the vet several times and they just put him on pain meds and usually trim the toenail very short so he doesn't put weight on it. So that is what I'm doing. Guess we will see how he does in a few days. With Pongo's vet bills, I really can't afford anything else major right now. :( ONE dog at a time.

No advice, but we also just went through a dislocated outside toe that I had to pop in 3 times right after it happened. Thankfully it has been a few weeks and it hasn't come out again. I did some reading up on toe problems in greyhounds, and I'm sure you are already aware, but how long are her toe nails? If they touch the ground in a normal standing position that could be a reason for reoccurring injury. Long shot, but just thought I would mention.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do from here!

Thanks, her toenails are quite short, so I know it isn't that. I think it is a combination of my backyard being uneven and her spastic running style :)

WhiteWave, I am sorry to hear about Ronan's toe. I understand about multiple vet bills!