How Do I Get My Greyhound To Let Me Brush His Teeth?

Guest laura150

Guest laura150

Ernie won't let me brush his teeth. He likes the chicken flavored toothpaste as he'll lick it off my finger when I give it to him but when I go to open his mouth and brush his chompers, it's a no go.

I have that brush that you stick your finger in and so I thought that might look less scary than a longer toothbrush but nothing.

He's so gentle so if I knew a way to hold him so that I could open his mouth and get it done, I'd do it.

Does anyone have any advice on getting your hound to sit still long enough for a brush?

I thought about the dentastix but wasn't sure if they A) worked and B Healthy for Dogs

Edited by laura150

Try hooking fingertips through the dog's collar (from underneath), while cradling the dog's chin in your hand to keep his head from moving too much. Then brush with the other hand. You can slip that finger brush between his lips on the side of his head so you can get straight to the back teeth. (Use your thumb on that hand to part his lips, and your other hand is steadying his head.)

If he's too squirmy for this, try putting him on leash and hook his leash to something. (I've used the handle on the refrigerator door--for pilling rather than toothbrushing--better light in the kitchen. Don't use the handle on a kitchen drawer--he'll pull out the whole drawer. Ask me how I know.)

Also, let him lick some toothpaste off the brush (rather than just your fingers) before you start.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

If you're tall enough, you can also straddle the dog -- both of you facing the same way, while he is standing up; your legs @ at his shoulder. Then pull his lip back, insert finger brush, and away you go! :)

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I also have one who won't let me brush so I will be following this thread with interest! But in the meantime, we've conquered the bad breath with a water additive (we use Tropiclean, but there are several other brands on the market) and gotten her teeth pearly white with marrow bones, lamb ears, beef tracheas (aka "moo tubes"), or bully sticks a few times a week. I'm not convinced the Dentastix and Greenies dental bones do much, but Sweep sure does seem to love them, so I indulge her every now and then.

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

I'll be watching this thread also! My Sasha has terrible teeth, but won't let me brush. She's not mean about it, and does stand reasonably still, but man can she toss her head around! Then there is the tongue action---that tongue can go in and out faster than a snake's can! I'm lucky I can keep the brush in her mouth, let alone in contact with her teeth!

I just started with Ozzie last night (he has been with me since the beginning of the month). The Petzlife spray was a NO GO. The spray scares him.

He did allow me to just apply some Vetzlife gel to his teeth last night with minimal complaints. So that's good. Not sure we're ready for a brush yet.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Guest chickenpotpie

Lucky is starting to let me use a toothbrush (as long as she's cradled in my lap that is :hehe:beatheart ) I figure if thats the only way I can get it done, fine. We've not worked up to everyday yet, just doing 3 days a week to get her used to it.

Guest HHHounds

I had 2 reluctant brushers so I timed their favorite treat for the end of the tooth brushing. It seemed to work and now I brush their teeth whenever I want during the day. Bribery is simple yet effective...

All three of mine let me brush theirs, and two are a pain because they expect it everytime I go the kitchen sink where the toothbrushes are.

Mine all get a lick of peanut butter after their teeth are brushed. I started just doing whatever they would let me but now they just stand there and let me brush away. I'm pretty sure its knowing they will get peanut butter after. And getting the peanut butter has not lessened the effectiveness of the brushing. They do like the toothpaste too, which is chicken flavor CET.

siggy2.jpg

Start slow. Maybe just stick your finger in the side of his mouth for a second. Without the brush. With the toothpaste. Do this daily, reward each step of the way.

After he accepts the finger, then move the finger in a brushing motion. Only a few seconds. Work up to longer times. Then when he's totally comfortable add the brush but just put it between his cheek and teeth. Don't brush. Once he's comfortable, then brush.

Baby steps. just baby steps. With rewards all along the way.

I use the Tropiclean tooth gel http://www.amazon.com/Tropiclean-Fresh-Breath-Plaque-Remover/dp/B00379KT66/ref=pd_bxgy_petsupplies_text_y I started out just putting on my finger and rubbing it on their gums. It is designed then to spread around the dog's teeth as they move and lick their lips and over time it loosens the plaque. After I used it that way for a week or two, I bought baby toothbrushes for them and started applying it using the toothbrush on their teeth. Even my most reluctant grey allows me to do this now. In addition to cleaning their teeth, it also is a breath freshener too!

gallery_22163_3545_9670.jpg

Humans Kathy and Jim with our girls, Ivy (Carolina Spoon) and Cherry (Fly Cherry Pie)

Missing our beautiful angel Breeze (Dighton Breeze) and angel Beka (BM Beko) - you are forever in our hearts.

Guest AngelPup

Start slow. Maybe just stick your finger in the side of his mouth for a second. Without the brush. With the toothpaste. Do this daily, reward each step of the way.

After he accepts the finger, then move the finger in a brushing motion. Only a few seconds. Work up to longer times. Then when he's totally comfortable add the brush but just put it between his cheek and teeth. Don't brush. Once he's comfortable, then brush.

Baby steps. just baby steps. With rewards all along the way.

This is what I did with Brady. Slow and steady with lots of praise and treats. When we're done, he gets a Milkbone. I noticed that he doesn't mind the rubber finger brush or a regular soft toothbrush, but HATES the brush that came with the kit I bought w/dog toothpaste (has a long handle w/small brush on one side and a round brush on the other), which is fine since I can't figure out how to use it anyway. Also, be sure to find a toothpaste that is palatable. He LOVED the expensive toothpaste the vet gave us and liked the first tube I bought, but is not crazy about the last one I bought at Tractor Supply. They were all chicken flavor, but some where obviously better than others.

Even with brushing at least every other day, his teeth still get stained on the inside, bottom canines (hard to brush that area without him balking), and I noticed that he has some plaque here and there. Anyone have any suggestions for that?

I use the Tropiclean tooth gel http://www.amazon.com/Tropiclean-Fresh-Breath-Plaque-Remover/dp/B00379KT66/ref=pd_bxgy_petsupplies_text_y I started out just putting on my finger and rubbing it on their gums. It is designed then to spread around the dog's teeth as they move and lick their lips and over time it loosens the plaque. After I used it that way for a week or two, I bought baby toothbrushes for them and started applying it using the toothbrush on their teeth. Even my most reluctant grey allows me to do this now. In addition to cleaning their teeth, it also is a breath freshener too!

This sounds like it would work for Brady. How long have you used it and when did you start noticing an improvement?

... but HATES the brush that came with the kit I bought w/dog toothpaste (has a long handle w/small brush on one side and a round brush on the other), which is fine since I can't figure out how to use it anyway.

The deal with the round brush is that you put paste all the way around, then you don't have to worry about the brush turning at an angle while you're using it, so that you're really not brushing anything. And you can brush the insides of teeth with it if you want, without having to turn the brush to the proper angle. But only, of course, if your dog will tolerate the brush.

At stores like PetSmart, you'll be able to find mint toothpaste, beef-flavored, and peanut butter-flavored as well as the chicken. I've been lucky: haven't found a brush--or a toothpaste--my dogs don't adore. Even the current foster dog seems fascinated by mint toothpaste.

Has anyone tried Fragaria Vesca? http://www.elixirs.com/products.cfm?productcode=S33E

darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Don't know about the OP, but I'm learning a lot! Sounds like many of you give treats right after, which is probably part of my problem. I thought that sort of negated the effect of the toothpaste (we have tried the PetzLife mint gel, which specifically says withhold food and water for 30 minutes after brushing). I think the mint is too strong for Sweep; she thrashes around like I'm torturing her. I'm going to get some chicken-flavored paste and try again armed with bribes treats.

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

Guest AngelPup

The deal with the round brush is that you put paste all the way around, then you don't have to worry about the brush turning at an angle while you're using it, so that you're really not brushing anything. And you can brush the insides of teeth with it if you want, without having to turn the brush to the proper angle. But only, of course, if your dog will tolerate the brush.

At stores like PetSmart, you'll be able to find mint toothpaste, beef-flavored, and peanut butter-flavored as well as the chicken. I've been lucky: haven't found a brush--or a toothpaste--my dogs don't adore. Even the current foster dog seems fascinated by mint toothpaste.

Has anyone tried Fragaria Vesca? http://www.elixirs.com/products.cfm?productcode=S33E

That's actually what I was doing with it, but he really doesn't seem to like it. It is too big and hard to maneuver. Or maybe it's just because it's so much toothpaste all at once and he really isn't thrilled with the last tube bought. The toothbruch and finger brush came with a tube of minty-chicken flavored paste. THAT did not go over well.

Yeah, minty chicken is a bit much, although the regular flavored toothpastes usually have sorbitol as the first ingredient, then the meat flavoring. (I tell myself it's like honey sauce on chicken nuggets.) I just don't use that much toothpaste. I put some on the round brush--about the same amount I'd use on a finger brush or normal brush--then smush it around with my finger before I put the toothbrush in a dog's mouth.

I think for dogs with "terrible teeth," brushing is simply not going to help much unless you start off with a professional cleaning.

George has great teeth. I don't brush them, and I never have. He gets bones on the weekends.

I

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest laura150

Ernie's teeth (as told to me by the vet) are in great shape so I want to keep them that way. Last night I positioned myself behind him with him in between my legs. He licked some toothpaste off the brush and then let me brush for a few seconds before he wriggled away. Baby steps!

Thanks for all of the suggestions!

• 3 weeks later...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10150212004741960&l=5456616401176881664

There is a video of me brushing my Ferguson's teeth. I find it easiest to hold their mouth shut, and then brush along under their gums.

thank you for the video!

7218108076_e406044464_t.jpg 7004700518_27fa752995_t.jpg Walter (Windy Walker) and Ernie (PG Ernest) @WalterWallerson and IG: WalterandErnie 7150803233_d0700ccbdc_t.jpg 7004711314_ceba54665a_t.jpg