Thunder Shirts

Guest Rocket

Hi Fellow Greyts!

I noticed that Rocket had a rough time during the last rain storm we had. Does anyone have experience with Thundershirts?

If so, can you please share - what size did you get, and was it worth the money? I also heard from our foster group that lavender drops on each ear tip helps too.

Amy

Edited by Rocket

I bought a thundershirt for Cinnibuns who doesn't mind thunder but hates fireworks. I was really, really desperate and the thundershirt was my last hope. It was $39.95 @ PetSmart and fortunately was returnable. I know they have worked for others so it seems it would just be a chance you might want to take. Good luck - I know we hate to see our houndies uncomfortable.

It works for Summer and makes a noticeable difference. All the pet stores have a return policy that you can avail yourself of, should it not work. Don't just throw it on during a storm and expect magic to happen, though. I have to be sure to get it on before the first audible noise in order for it to work properly. Many dogs also do better if you also put it on during good weather so that they don't associate it with only the bad weather/bad noises. You should be able to find a few threads on here about Thundershirts. Good luck!

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Guest Katherineaz

I have tried one for one of my smaller dogs and it didn't do anything for her. Just buy one where you can return it if needed. I have heard of success stories, so always worth a try.

Unfortunately, it didn't do much for us. I've heard it works great for others, though.

I agree. I told one person I work with and he tried it. he said he couldn't believe that his dog fine with thunder the next time we had a storm. Another person, a friend I hang around with, saw no difference in his dog. Neither dog was a greyhound, not that it should matter.

Edited by dmdsmoxie

Guest LazyBlaze

I think the thundershirts do help, but for us they are most effective when used in combination with other things rather than alone. What works for us is Thundershirt + DAP spray on bandanas and DAP diffusers plugged in + Dorwest Herbs Skullcap and Valerian tablets. All three things used together and built up consistently during October and November really help (i.e. regular wearing of thundershirts in the lead-up to the fireworks, DAP used for about a month surrounding the 5th, and the tablets given for the same period). I've only had my grey for a year, so have only had one fireworks season with him last year, but he did very well with all those things. My elderly terrier is absolutely petrified of the fireworks (and has gotten worse with age), but last year he also did brilliantly with those three things together, was even taking treats during the bangs. It's all an expensive business but for us it was worth it to see the dogs pretty unperturbed last year.

How big is Rocket? Blaze is a very large hound and inherited a size L shirt from my old dog that died. It does the job on him but is a bit short on the body - if I was buying him a new one I'd get the next size up. If Rocket is on the petite side a Large might do him though.

Edited to add: given that they don't work for everybody, might be worth seeing if you can borrow one before you splash the cash, if you know anyone that could spare it. Or maybe eBay would be worth a look for a pre-owned one.

Edited by LazyBlaze

Guest OPointyDog

Size L worked well for our male dog (72lbs). The only color they had in L was hot pink, so we tried that, and interestingly the salesperson at PetCo said that the pink ones were the best because the fabric had a nicer texture and was more pliable so you can get a more snug fit. :dunno (I will say he looked awesome in hot pink!)

Sadly, the thundershirt did nothing for his problem, but we gave it to another greyhound owner, and it was a miracle worker for thunder phobia for her guy. Another woman in our greyhound group had success in treating her dog's anxiety in the car with one. So I think it can help in some cases. As others have said, they are fully refundable.

I have an Anxiety Wrap (which is pretty much the same thing) for my mixed breed girl who overall has loud noise anxiety, including thunder, fireworks, construction, etc. She still displayed anxiety signs but seemed more willing to lay down rather than pace and try to hide under my legs.

Rudy came with a Thundershirt, but I don't think it was really for storms as he seems to handle them fine, but he did have a reputation of some fear-based aggression in his previous placements and it may have been purchased for that reason. I let him wear it around more when he was newer here though I can't be sure if it helped him in any way or not. Many people use them for different stressful situations, like vet visits, boarding and so on. Some have said it worked immediately, some say it takes some time of wearing it around without stress and then in times of stress, and others said it just did not seem to have any effect. I believe they all have a money-back guarantee though so it's certainly worth a try in my opinion.

By the way Summer is adorable in her Thundershirt :)

Edited by k9soul

ThunderShirt is about the only product I tout. In our house, we have two success stories with Disco and Deuce. Does it make them normal during a storm? No, of course not. But it makes them less stressed. Disco used to hide behind Danger and pant and quiver. Now, most of the time, he flops on a bed and sleeps. Deuce used to jump on the sofa and pant uncontrollably, drool, and violently shake. Now, for the most part, she will just lay on the sofa, mildly pant and look around.

However, do not just buy a TS, slap it on and expect a miracle. Read the "training" or familiarization instructions that TS provides. I was absolutely adamant and consistent when we got the first one. I made sure Kevin did it too. Happy, sunshiny days, whip out the TS, give a treat and let Deuce and Disco wear it. 10 or 15 minutes later, remove the TS and give Deuce and Disco a treat. Happy times, fun times. :):yay:cheers:yay:) We did this many, many times, so much so that the other dogs no longer look for treats when we break out the TS's. They know they are not getting anything so there is no reason to get up from their beds.

Now when we hear a storm, we whip out the TS, put it on, give a treat and go back to whatever we were doing.

However, there are still times when our storms are bad enough that all the dogs will react a bit. That is just life, we cannot plan for everything. When we are not at home and a storm hits, again, that's life, the dogs manage themselves. Kevin and I know the house is secure and safe to the best of our abilities and that is the most we can do.

Try one and follow the guidelines and give it a chance. Good luck.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

I have a feeling I should plan ahead and get one for June.

She is anxious in general. I haven't had her long enough to see how she is through a storm, but I have a feeling she's gonna get upset.

Heck, I don't like storms either!

Greyhounds: Amelia (Cataloosahatchee 9.10.17) & Carmen (Rebellious Bird 8.23.17)
Kitty: Biggi Paws (7.4.13)
Horse: WC Kharena (2.28.17)
Rainbow Bridge: Raider Kitty (4.1.01 - 8.12.21), Sidney (Kane's Seminole 11.14.08 - 9.26.19 ), June (Potrs June 6.1.09 - 3.1.19) Bella the Rottweiler, Kitties: Spike, DC, Gilda, Killer, Sophie & Nala 

Amusingly, we are having some thunder and lightning here at the moment. We hardly ever have any so this is unusual. We bought a thunder coat for Em because she was reacting badly to the large aftershocks we were having after a couple of big earthquakes here in Wellington. They definitely worked for her. She's distracted by her dinner at the moment but I'm interested to see if she starts reacting to the thunder as we've never been home with her during a storm before.

Well, ok, that escalated! From saying we never have thunder and lightning here we just had the biggest storm ever! Unfortunately the thundershirt didn't seem to help Em, who barked, roo'd, growled and paced her way through the worst of it. Once it eased a bit we got her on the spare bedroom sofa with a blanket over her and now she's crashed.

http://www.stormdefender.com/how_it_works.htm

I've seen dogs go to the closet and ask for it before storms even showed up on local radar,

I have not seen that one before, thanks for sharing. As I was reading the description I'm surprised it didn't really occur to me before that it can be more than the flash and bang of the storm for some dogs, storms also produce a different feel with the electricity and pressure of it.

it doesn't work for every dog, but I can honestly say Zeke is much better when it's on, along with giving Melatonin and using either lavender oil or Peace & Calming from Young Living oil distributors.

JulieMac (here on GT) lent us her Thundershirt to try (and the oil!) and I'm glad that it helps. He's not great, but he's definitely better with all 3 in use.

Good luck!

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

As with most things, you often have to do some conditioning for the thundershirt to be effective. If you just stick it on when the dog is anxious, it likely won't be associated with anything positive. I think a lot of people expect it to be a magic shirt that instantly cures anxiety. It is best if you practice wearing it in situations that are relaxing (petting, chewing, massaging, etc.). That way the dog will have a much stronger connection between shirt=relaxation.

I got one to try for car travel as that is the only anxiety I have to deal with. I really don't think it helped, but to be honest, I really haven't done any of the conditioning I just mentioned above :P