Good Thoughts For Romie - Update #23

Romie, always quiet and reserved, has been gradually getting more so over the last month. Appetite good, but now he doesn't come into the kitchen to supervise supper prep, he stays lying down until I put the bowls down. Still eager for our (very short) walks, but doesn't seem to be going out in the back yard as much. Slight limp/gait stiffness in front every once in a while. History of arthritis in left front leg, for which he has been getting glucosame/chondroitin the last year.

Took him into the vet's last week. Bloodwork looked good; tests negative for tick-borne diseases. Showed some resistance to having his left leg manipulated. I have been giving him 50 mg tramadol 2x/day for the last few days but don't see much difference in his behavior.

X-rays tomorrow. Please think good thoughts for my ultra quiet, ultra sweet boy.

Romie looking debonaire on the patio.

IMG_0238.jpg

Romie loves kids. He's on the right, curled up with my niece.

IMG_0242.jpg

Edited by EllenEveBaz

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Good thoughts for your boy. Maybe he would be good candidate for laser therapy.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

:hope:goodluck

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

:goodluck

I hope Romie is OK.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13), Grey Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23)

More good thoughts for Romie! I hope the films show nothing serious.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Fingers and toes crossed!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

:hope

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

:hope:hope:hope

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Thanks for the good thoughts. Romie is age 9. The vets know I'm worried about osteo and they promised me the x-rays looked clean. They took x-rays of both front legs and shoulders. Romie was quiet so they didn't have to sedate him. He's only showing pain in left lower leg and possibly shoulder (different results to different vets' palpations -- they also both looked at the x-rays, so that eased my mind a little).

So we're home to wait for results of full thyroid panel. Tbhounds -- they said I could up the tramadol to (2) 50-mg pills 2x a day. I'm cautious of NSAIDs. Irene -- laser therapy -- I live in the sticks with 2 vet offices in the whole county, so I'm guessing the closest laser therapy would be 80 miles away, along with acupuncture and animal chiropractic.

Nutmeg and Milo went rushing to sniff Romie all over. Just as I was thinking, "How cute," he snarled and snapped at them. Very untypical of my laid-back guy.

One of the vet techs said, "Every time you bring in one of your dogs, I think that one's my favorite. Then you bring in another, and I think THAT one's my favorite."

Edited to add: Milo brought Romie a welcome home present of the bottom half of a rabbit.

Edited by EllenEveBaz

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Glad they're testing the thyroid, as that can involve much soreness and grouchiness too. Of course, it could just be pain, from arthritis or strain. Tramadol and gabapentin are pretty safe, but gaba-p can involve some initial clumsiness/weakness that will wear off in a day or two. Much prefer those to NSAIDs! Will be hoping for a good update.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Vet left message that full thyroid panel looked normal. So now I'm stymied. Is all this from pain? But he wasn't even limping very often before. He's getting (2)50 mg tramadols 2x/day. I tried just 1 tramadol again, and he didn't want to try to get up on the sofa. He's not limping now, but there are only a few little glimmers of his personality every now and then.

Also, did they check his neck??

Yes. They didn't x-ray it, because he showed no sensitivity when they did the Exorcist-head-rotating thing during the full-body palpation.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

:goodluck:hope

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown