Kelly--Goodbye At 19

Guest Rhea

When we moved out of Minnesota four years ago, we had to look long and hard at where our pets would go. We were moving to New York, and it was going to be difficult enough to get ourselves there in a short space of time. We had lost one cat recently, at fifteen, just before we started to pack up and leave, she'd been peeing all over the house, and with blood in her urine, mom took her into the vet, and they found cancer cells, so she had some sort of kidney or bladder cancer. Then, we tried our hardest to place our dog. She visited with at least two different families, but it did not go so well. (She bit some poor girl on the nose!) My brother and his family offered to take care of her until they could find her a new home, but that didn't work out. She was just too old for such a big transition, I guess :C She started peeing and pooping inside their house and it wasn't getting better, and she'd stopped eating. (I think she stayed with them for at least 2-4 months before they/we finally decided that it just wasn't going to work out, and put her to sleep. We'd had her at least... 10-12 years at that point I want to say? She was a black lab/greyhound mix, and she'd been at a shelter for several years when we adopted her, so she was at least 12-14.) Dad still feels guilty about what happened with Lucy, since it was only a year we spent in NY before moving down here to AZ.

Then there was my cat, Kelly. We were fortunate enough that my bff and her then-boyfriend, now-husband, offered to take her in. After an initial period of adjustment, she fit into their lives beautifully, and she became especially close with Adam, my bestie's boyfriend. I think being the only pet in the house was really good for her, especially at her ever advancing age. She was actually born at my bff's house when we were both in elementary school together, 2nd and 3rd grade. Her birthday is next month, and I honestly thought she'd be the last one of her litter to survive, but she still has two brothers who are around. I guess they'll be outliving her, after all.

A few days ago, my friend IMed me to tell me that they were arranging an end of life plan for Kelly, and wanted to know if I'd like some ashes to sprinkle, after they had her cremated. She told me that Kelly's health has been slowly declining over the past couple months, and that it's been pretty rough lately. She's not been eating, she has some nausea they were medicating her for, and just general old-age health issues. (It's likely that her renal failure had finally advanced to a point where diet/meds weren't managing it anymore. She's been in renal failure for at least a year or two now, and it was managed almost exclusively through diet.) Then, they made the decision to let her go, yesterday, in-home euthanasia, because Adam has a longish trip coming up, and in her delicate health, they weren't sure if she'd still be around in two weeks when he came back. I know it was a tough decision, but I think it was the right one, because not being there is the worst thing in the world. And it would have been awful for Leslie to go through all that alone.

I'm grateful that the two of them took such good care of her for the last golden years of her life. Even when she was a difficult little snit XD

I know she's lived a long, full, life for a cat, and while it's sad, I also know that she's resting peacefully.

Some pictures of her life with my friends:

IMG_0711_zps463abcbd.jpg

kellybelly_zpsfee7fd74.jpg

disallforme_zps9c097dc4.jpg

thinkin_zps077f93f5.jpg

sleepykitty_zps96898c34.jpg

Then these were a couple the last photos my friend put up with the announcement of her passing on FB, I assume they are recent, and some of the last photos ever. You can really tell she's not in so good shape, poor old lady.

7642_799920296643_411529526_n_zpsa96f5f8

kellybb_zpsad985f2d.jpg

So thin, so ragged looking :C

I can't even repost one of the other ones because it's too heart-breaking for me to look at, she's so bony/skinny it looks like a piece of her is missing in that one </3

It was definitely time for her to go.

Thanks for looking

edit: I swear, I tell photobucket to replace the original when I resize the pictures, but my edits don't seem to take *throws up hands*

Edited by Rhea

Godspeed, pretty girl.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I'm so sorry. :grouphug

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

I'm so sorry. She was a gorgeous kitty.

Godspeed Kelly.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Run free little lady. My 20 year old "Artesian" who was a Ragdoll will meet you to play. Also my sweet Duchess who looks just like you.

"Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the day comes God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man."

Persian Proverb

Beautiful girl. Godspeed, Kelly.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

yes, that last pic made me cry.... you can tell she was so thin and ill... I'm so glad you were able to find her a great home with friends that still kept you updated on her life... I found a home for my year old puppy with a wonderful man and his dog, on a 176 acre farm, and the dog was only a year older then her... it was literally heaven on earth for her... she got all the attention I couldn't provide her while working 10 hrs and commuting 5 hrs a day, she got to romp around with her age appropriate buddy on so much open farm land, and I got visiting rights... I went o see her every year for her birthday, and watch her grow into a lovely old girl... she still has such a good life... and it warms my heart that she had a better life than I could provide her...

Kelli was blessed to have such a wonderful home and people who loved and took greyt care of her, and kept you updated on her... She is pain free now... run free sweet girl...

Image removed, not within Signature Guidelines.