Stopping To Mark But Nothing Comes Out

Guest StansMom

Guest StansMom

Lately we have been training Stan on the leash. This means we decide when and where he stops to sniff and do his business, he has been doing really well, but sometimes on our walks, we will stop to let him sniff and mark his favorite spots and he will squat like he is going to mark, but nothing comes out! For the most part, he has already gone to the bathroom in the yard before the walk. Is his bladder just completely empty? Is he trying to please us? Or is this something we should talk to the vet about? Are greyhounds prone to UTIs? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

But greyhounds can get UTIs, so make sure your boy has plenty of water to drink. As long as he's able to pee at the beginning of walks, you don't have to worry if the tank's run dry by the end.

He won't be doing it just to please you, though. There's probably a great smell he wants to mark, but he just doesn't have any ammo left.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

James fakes me out all the time. He'll raise his leg and everything..but nothing comes out. Even at the beginning of a walk when he's full. I just chalk it up to changing his mind after he's already committed to the movement. :flip

Usually I teach my dogs to pee on command so when I am in a hurry I can be sure they've done that right before I leave. Have had several dogs who would make a token effort even if they didn't need to go. This included a male who would lift his leg, look at me, then turn around & come back. "See. There. I tried & didn't need to. You happy now?" :lol