Greyhound Health Issues (Ibd, Worms, Tbd, Etc.) Studies

Guest AngelPup

Guest AngelPup

Grain-based kibble is a far less biologically appropriate food than raw meat is.

Yes, grain isn't 'natural' and hard for dogs to digest. I find it strange that the only food (so far anyway) that Brady can tolerate (including a bland diet of ground beef, turkey, and chicken w/pasta or rice) is Iams which is full of fillers and corn. It's not so much the raw meat (although personally it grosses me out), but the 4D raw meat that bothers me. Of course, it very well may be fine and cause no harmful effects. I just don't know the answer to that.

Guest iconsmum

There is a misconception with many folks that GI woes are IBD. IBD is a true disease of its own. The term IBD is often misused whenever a dog has diarrhea. IBD needs to be diagnosed via a biopsy. The bowels are inflammed and often because of an immune mediated response. So, while your dog may have diarrhea it does not mean your dog has IBD.

To answer the op's question. I do think there is a higher incidence of

true IBD with our retired racers.

I've come to the conclusion that the fact that every one of the greyhounds that we deal with "here" has been plucked from a like community and funnelled into a relatively much lonelier pet environment via truck. then holding kennel, then fosters, then house/pets/rules/FOODS/schedules/well-intentioned petting, etc etc means that their guts suffer some degree of stress dis ability. Some more pronounced than others depending on how well their coping mechanisms are supported by their new owners - no implied criticism at all, not everyone does every dog they have perfectly. Stress causes chemical changes that take people down to varying degrees; is it anthropomorphic to think the same for a dog...

I think that many issues stem from the initial changes to home life, but then there are many factors...trying foods too quickly (not sticking with one long enough), using add-ins, trying "different" foods that are ultimately the same, being unwilling to try grain-free (if currently feeding a grain-laden kibble), or being unwilling to try something like the Iams green bag if currently feeding grain-free and it's not working.

For us, protein source was always a big factor. Ace did pretty well on anything I gave her, but, when Fritz came, I learned that he didn't do well with chicken or turkey. So we did a beef-based kibble. Then Skimmie came and was losing all of his hair on the beef food. That's what led us to fish-based foods and Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream has been perfect for everyone. Skimmie's hair grew back and everyone did well.

Ozzie came to me eating lamb & rice. I decided to just switch him to TOTW. Within days his poop was firm. His coat was nice when he came, but, it has stayed nice.

Digestive issues are tough. One of those times where you wish they could talk and tell you what they're thinking. It takes a good deal of scientific trial and error to arrive at what works best for YOUR individual dog. Read labels and don't get crazy with add-ins.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Guest AngelPup

I've come to the conclusion that the fact that every one of the greyhounds that we deal with "here" has been plucked from a like community and funnelled into a relatively much lonelier pet environment via truck. then holding kennel, then fosters, then house/pets/rules/FOODS/schedules/well-intentioned petting, etc etc means that their guts suffer some degree of stress dis ability. Some more pronounced than others depending on how well their coping mechanisms are supported by their new owners - no implied criticism at all, not everyone does every dog they have perfectly. Stress causes chemical changes that take people down to varying degrees; is it anthropomorphic to think the same for a dog...

Yes, I do agree with this. There are a LOT of factors that go into the digestive issues these dogs suffer with. And on top of that, each and every dog is different and will respond differently to certain treatments...

Guest AngelPup

I think that many issues stem from the initial changes to home life, but then there are many factors...trying foods too quickly (not sticking with one long enough), using add-ins, trying "different" foods that are ultimately the same, being unwilling to try grain-free (if currently feeding a grain-laden kibble), or being unwilling to try something like the Iams green bag if currently feeding grain-free and it's not working.

For us, protein source was always a big factor. Ace did pretty well on anything I gave her, but, when Fritz came, I learned that he didn't do well with chicken or turkey. So we did a beef-based kibble. Then Skimmie came and was losing all of his hair on the beef food. That's what led us to fish-based foods and Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream has been perfect for everyone. Skimmie's hair grew back and everyone did well.

Ozzie came to me eating lamb & rice. I decided to just switch him to TOTW. Within days his poop was firm. His coat was nice when he came, but, it has stayed nice.

Digestive issues are tough. One of those times where you wish they could talk and tell you what they're thinking. It takes a good deal of scientific trial and error to arrive at what works best for YOUR individual dog. Read labels and don't get crazy with add-ins.

Good advice Krissn. I'm glad to hear that all your dogs are doing well on the TOTW Pacific Stream. Brady is doing much better on Iams w/pumpkin added than any other food I've tried (he apparently needs high fiber and doesn't do well with rice). BUT, I haven't been able to completely wean him off the Flagyl yet. I get to the point of giving him 1/2 pill every third or fourth day and he goes back to pudding poop. It would be great if I could find a food that would fit the bill without me having to add pumkin and/or Flagyl. But it might not even be a food issue, since his stools get better with I give him Flagyl more often...

Good advice Krissn. I'm glad to hear that all your dogs are doing well on the TOTW Pacific Stream. Brady is doing much better on Iams w/pumpkin added than any other food I've tried (he apparently needs high fiber and doesn't do well with rice). BUT, I haven't been able to completely wean him off the Flagyl yet. I get to the point of giving him 1/2 pill every third or fourth day and he goes back to pudding poop. It would be great if I could find a food that would fit the bill without me having to add pumkin and/or Flagyl. But it might not even be a food issue, since his stools get better with I give him Flagyl more often...

I feel your pain. James was doing so well on Iams green bag until a month or so ago when he started having softer, but formed, poops. I also think it's a fiber thing for him because adding in things like tortilla chips and carrots firm it up. I'm trying out Blue Basics turkey and potato b/c it has 7% fiber (despite being grain free, which surprised me). I've only switched over dinner at this point. He improved in the beginning, but now seems to be doing the same as he was doing on Iams. So frustrating!