Holy Crap!

Scooby172

Keeva my 11 year old grey/whippet mix gave me quite the scare. Came home from work, everyone fine, Keeva did not eat breakfast that morning, nothing too unusual. One minute I am preparing dinner and the next I am rushing Keeva to the vet. Noticed Keeva started to throw up, had eaten some grass earlier, again not unusual. She started vomiting slowly but worked herself up to the point she was throwing up large amounts of white foam and I am talking like the consistency of soap suds. Then I smelled poop, she soiled herself, could not even get up, just laid in it. OK, not usual, Keeva is quite proper and would never think of pooping in the house let alone on herself. Then the blood started, first globs of rasberry like jelly which progressed to straight blood coming out of her behind, she could not move and was covered in blood. The more I tried to clean her up, the more came out. Right to the vet, I thought HGE. Blood work was inconclusive, stool sample brought in. She got a shot of Cerenia after sub Q fluids to decrease pain of shot, was started on antibiotics and metronidazole. Vet suggested hospitalizing her, but, since no one is there overnight I took her home with the agreement I would bring her to the e-vet if needed. Slow improvement next day with only one episode of explosive blood coming out and no vomiting. Vet called with news that she tested positive for giardia. She is responding nicely to treatment and is almost back to herself, treating Jack also. She really had me scared, I thought I was going to lose her. Have had dogs with giardia before but no one has ever had this bad of a reaction, perhaps it was due to her age. Anyone else with this severe of a reaction to giardia?

Linda, Jack and Keeva

Oh thats so scary! My previous greyhound had giardia bad. Come home from college to find the crate and herself literally covered in bloody diarrhea. It was horrible and I rushed her straight to the vet. I hope your Keeva starts feeling better soon and keep an eye on her hydration levels. Bad diarrhea can get them dehydrated fairly quick. Did the vet also suggest a bland diet like chicken and rice?

Similar incident with my dogs years ago that was caused by drinking water from a bird bath. All sorts of nasties in bird bath water.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Similar incident with my dogs years ago that was caused by drinking water from a bird bath. All sorts of nasties in bird bath water.

Icky! We think Ruby got it from drinking standing water out in the yard. Giardia was pretty common where I used to live.

I am so sorry that Keeva, and you had to go through that. I have no experience with giardia. Hemmoraghing is terrifying though. I went through it a month ago with Aquitaine (bad evil abscess with roots wrapped around a vein).

For the cleanup, which I know is the least of your worries, Oxy Clean really is a miracle worker. It took a few goes at the carpet and a silk chair but my apartment no longer looks like a crime scene!

Edited by carronstar

Good Lord! How frightening! Glad she's doing better!

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway