Pet Insurance

Guest SugarFire

Guest SugarFire

Hi there all... again. lol

I'm trying to get all my ducks in a row before bringing home my new grey and have seen several of you talk about having pet insurance and how great it is when life throws your doggie a curve ball. I saw there is a vet list but can't seem to find a pet insurance list. Can you guys let me know what company you use and more or less a ball park figure as to how much you pay? This will also help me budget. In case it helps or makes a difference I'm in sunny south Florida.

Thanks!

I have Healthy Paws. There is a huge variety in what you can choose for yearly deductible and percent repaid so the premium can vary greatly. I choose 90% coverage with $100 yearly deductible. And pay $97/month for 2 dogs.

I have one currently with VPI. She's too old with too many previous things to move her now. So she is stuck with them. I would not recommend them at all. They go by a schedule which is so antiquated it's not worth it. They pay 80% of what they think the charge should be. So for a ligament surgery last year and gastritis hospital stay this year, they paid less than 40% total.

Embrace and Trupanion are also very highly regarded on this board. I did end up comparing all three and choose Healthy Paws because I liked the per year deductible not the per incident deductible.

There is also Pet Plan, ASPCA. I think there are others but I can't think of them at the moment.

I've had Embrace since 2010 and have been happy with it. It can include a dental plan if desired that can be purchased as needed each renewal (Sheba typically only needs a dental every 2-3 years vs. every year). I suggest you review Embrace, Healthy Paws, and Trupanion for comparison and go from there re your final decision. My Embrace plan covers $5,000 maximum a year, has a $500 deductible, covers annual checkup, vaccinations, and Rx's, and covers 80% of the cost after deductible. There are other choice available. I pay about $35 a month but pay yearly to save a bit.

I have Trupanion with a zero dollar per incident deductible and 90% coverage for accident/illness. It doesn't cover the exam fee, but does cover surgery, tests, and medication. Dental isn't covered, but actual extractions might be (haven't had to try!). We pay about $55, per dog, per month. It usually increases by a couple dollars each year -- but Brees's premium went DOWN by about 75 cents this year. Go figure.

While I'm very happy with Trupanion, if I were signing up another dog, I might go with Healthy Paws. I could have lower monthly payments with an annual deductible.

I would NOT choose a company that has a $5000 annual maximum. One surgery could easily blow through that, and it wouldn't come close to dealing with a diagnosis like osteo.

This website was pretty helpful for me.The major thing you want in a pet insurance policy is one that pays based on what your vet charges, NOT a fee schedule. Usually, the fee schedules are really low ball estimates and nowhere close to what the vet charges. I'd go with either Healthy Paws, Embrace, Trupanion, or Pet Plan US. Steer clear of VPI and ASPCA. For a relatively young, healthy greyhound, you'd be looking at about $35-$50 a month.

I, too, have Healthy Paws at @ $46/month for Autumn. I've not needed it, and hope I never do, but that's what the insurance is for. :)

I, too, have Healthy Paws at @ $46/month for Autumn. I've not needed it, and hope I never do, but if she develops any problems, that's what the insurance is for. :)

Edited by Doggone

You can play with the quotes online to find one that works price-wise. You generally have the choice of a higher or lower deducible ($100-$300), co-insurance (80% or 90%), and maximum limit ($5000 and up). Obviously, lower deductibles and higher co-insurance/maximums make your monthly premium go up.

The one reason I chose Embrace is their wellness plan. If you're bad at putting money aside for routine stuff (like me), it's a nice thing to have. With the Wellness Plus, you pay an extra monthly fee, then you have $400 annually to use for flea and tick, heartworm prevention, vaccines, check-ups, dentals. If you don't use it, it just rolls over into the next year.

I'm in Canada so a lot of the companies up here won't be options for you. But basically each company usually has a big range in prices depending on how much coverage you want.

My plan is about $90-100 a month for Kili and my deductible is $250 per year (not per incident). That seems like a lot of money but I have unlimited illness AND unlimited accident coverage, as well as $400 for dental treatments and $350 for "alternative treatments" (Kili's chiropractic adjustments are included in this category), as well as $400 a year for preventative medicine (heartworm, annual bloodwork/fecal sample, vaccines, etc.). They have cheaper plans for as little as $30/month but the upper limits are $1000 or $5000 I believe... and trust me, that doesn't even come close when you have a real problem! We haven't even had Kili a year and insurance has already paid out about $7000 on her. No complaints about the company whatsoever. They've paid 80% of all charges. Premiums don't increase with age of the pet, but your deductible does.

I'm with PetSecure, but some of my friends have Trupanion (which is available in the States I think) and they are very happy as well. It's just a lot of research and being careful to check out the fine print. I love having insurance and having peace of mind and I recommend it to all my clients.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Guest SugarFire

Doing a comparison between Healthy Paws, Embrace and Trupanion. All extremely similar coverages and so far trupanion is DOUBLE the monthly premium of the others! Looks like once I get my little girl I'll be going with Healthy Paws: 90% reimbursement, $200 annual deductible, no caps or benefit schedule $36.32/mth!

As far as regular veterinary care, I've used Banfield in the past for my pets with no complaints. For $35/mth with them I get 2 comprehensive physicals per year, vaccinations, diagnostic testing, feval exams, deworming, urine testing and dental cleaning. You can add heartworm and flea and tick prevention to that plan but its more costly than buying it yourself. I found heartguard and frontline supply for a whole year at only $200 compared to adding it to the wellness plan at $270. :)

I had Vpi for my first two. Don't recommend. Now have Embrace and their rates have gone way up ($300 annual deductible and 10 % copay running about $135/ month for an 8 yo and 5 yo). Healthy paws quote was about $80/ month and they cover prescriptions. Of course both my boys came down with medical issues before I switched and one is likely chronic so may not be able to change now or the condition won't be covered. Sigh.

I have Pets Best and it's been great. I have 3 greys on it and pay it in full annually so get a 7% discount. I have just accident and illness coverage, but they offer wellness coverage as well. They've been great to deal with and reimburse quickly. I pay a little more because I want a low deductible - $100.

When one of mine came down with HGE last spring, she spent 3 days at the E vet. Total bill was $1800. They paid a little over $1500. (the difference was deductible and some things covered at 80%).

Doing a comparison between Healthy Paws, Embrace and Trupanion. All extremely similar coverages and so far trupanion is DOUBLE the monthly premium of the others! Looks like once I get my little girl I'll be going with Healthy Paws: 90% reimbursement, $200 annual deductible, no caps or benefit schedule $36.32/mth!

After doing my comparison, that's who I chose as well. I prefer the annual deductible to the per incident deductible and the premiums were lower.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest SugarFire

I have to ask. Is that a sphynx in your photo? If so, please post more!! Lots of kitty lovers on this board.

YES!! That's my little Sphynx girl Sashimi, Sashi for short. My son named her, we love Sushi and Sashimi and he said that like Sashimi is sushi without rice, the cat is a cat without hair so that it fits her! lol When we finally get our grey girl I'm hoping she'll be a spicy doggie so we can call her Wasabi lol!

• 1 month later...

I have never purchased pet insurance but I am seriously considering it now. Toby is too old to insure but I can start Payton for a reasonable premium.

I think I will go with Embrace. The premiums are about the same and you can add a wellness benefit. Payton has a bad mouth so it would really help.

I have never had to yet, but I don't want to have to skimp on medical treatment because of cost.

61bd4941-fc71-4135-88ca-2d22dbd4b59a_zps

Payton, The Greyhound (Palm City Pelton) and Toby, The Lab
Annabella and Julietta, The Cats
At the Bridge - Abby, The GSD