Nighttime Diarrhea

Guest joviemom

Guest joviemom

About a week ago jovie has started a new trend and I wanted to get all of your input on it.

Her poops are great all day, no problem, completely solid and firm.

Then at about midnight she started heavily panting to go out NOW and has completely liquified poo. She usually has to go out one more time then she is fine for th night and poos are solid in the morning.

This isn't every night only some nights 2-3 nights per week. Two of the nights she had something completely outside (wet cat food, she stole it much to the cats dismay) of her diet which I was initially pretty sure that is what caused it. But today she didn't have anything outside of her diet (yesterday she did, she had diarrhea at night and her poos were completely solid all day)

Any ideas on what could be going on? I am planning on taking her to the vet as well, but I just moved so I waned to see if I could go in with a least an idea of what is going on.

What is she eating (including how much of each thing; including medications and supplements), and at what time of day?

Edited by Batmom

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest joviemom

She gets 1.5 cups of Go! Shine and Sensitivity at 6 am and then 6 pm. She also gets 2 benadryl with her meals (for right now, her allergies are bad, but we will stop that in a few weeks).

At night she gets either a raw hide chip or a piece of dried fish skin. (around 7pm)

Stop the rawhide ASAP. My guess is she is having a very hard time digesting it. In fact, stop any evening chew/snack for now. The fewer things she's eating, the easier it will be to narrow it down.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Yep, I would stop the rawhide/fish skin. If she is looking for a treat at that time, give her a small handful of her regular kibble in a treat ball. No treat ball? If dog is supervised, you can make your own fun by hiding the kibble here and there in a rolled-up hand towel.

ETA: Nothing intrinsically wrong with rawhide chips or fish skin but you may have gotten a batch with an ingredient she's sensitive to, a batch contaminated with salmonella or something else, a batch that's gone moldy ..... That is the most likely culprit tho.

Edited by Batmom

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.