Awkward Question

Guest NRN13

I feed at set times. Seems like I'm feeding about what everyone else is feeding their greys of this size. She still looks great. Great tuck, can see the last few ribs, and has those little bumps on her spine that show. Don't think she has gained any weight since being with us. I'll have her weighed soon at the vet. And she always seems hungry! And she is active, but not overly so. Especially since I'm working again. But she's young and has lots of energy for walks, with short little sprints thrown in there. And she plays vigorously with her toys (for short spurts :) So I think I'll wait to change foods, give her more time, and maybe at some point try grain free. It isn't a huge issue, just one I was wondering about since she's my first greyhound and seems like a lot of poop!

My dog weighs 64 pounds, and he gets ONE cup of dry morning and evening. No add ins. He does get plenty of Milk Bones throughout the day. He gets out 5x a day. One long walk, 4 shorter walks. He poops once in the AM, once in the PM. However, if I took him on a dog walk event sort of thing, he would poop repeatedly. When he gets jazzed up, he poops more!

I assume since you've had her for six weeks you've taken her to the vet for a check up? If not, please do so, and bring a stool sample. Best to rule out any sort of parasite right from the start!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

ROFL. Don't 'cha just love poop topics? It sure can reassure anybody who questions that each houndie is different and that even a hound with a regular schedule changes it up when her day changes.

My girl, who weighs 66 pounds, gets Green-bag Iams, 1.5 cups AM and again in PM, with a few small treats and one Milk Bone during the day. If we're having a regular day, she poos when we get up about 6:30. She'll poo again on our walk about 8 AM and then she'll poo again any time from 2ish to 4ish, depending when we take another walk. Occasionally she has a day with only 2 poos, and then she'll have a day with 4 poos. Yet if we are at a Greyhound event, such as our recent group picnic, she pushes out those poos like it's growing on trees.

Edited by Feisty49