Brown Discharge..female

Missy (14 ) has been on ppa for a couple weeks. Urine was checked before staring ppa..no infection. Then she was trated for vaginitis. Now she has mucous left after she goes. I am cleaning her with a baby wipe. Will call my vet when she is in tomorrow. Can this have anything to do with PPA? I am thinking infection..but just wasn't sure if it could be a side effect,

Edited by dbullwinkel

It may be incontinence-related, but it's not worth the risk. There is a serious, life-threatening condition which occurs in older spayed females (usually older, anyway) where the uterus fills up with pus. It's called pyometra, or 'pyo' for short. If she's affected, the sooner you catch it the better. If you leave it until the discharge is thick and pure pus, her chances of survival would be around 50-50. Is she drinking more than usual? If so, that's another symptom.

Personally, any unusual discharge from an older girl and she'd be at the vet's so fast her paws wouldn't touch the floor. Maybe I'm a tad paranoid on this one, but I've assisted at pyo ops and seen what can happen. They can get very, very ill, very fast.

Edited to add, it can also be due to an infection in the kidneys, which would also need prompt treatment, especially in a 14yr old.

I hope it's neither. Good luck! :)

Edited by silverfish

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

I'd have your vet take a look but it's probably just a little dermatitis in that area (brownish crusties in appearance). Vet can give you some ointment to help with that. Keeping her clean as you're doing is a help.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

It may be incontinence-related, but it's not worth the risk. There is a serious, life-threatening condition which occurs in older spayed females (usually older, anyway) where the uterus fills up with pus. It's called pyometra, or 'pyo' for short. If she's affected, the sooner you catch it the better. If you leave it until the discharge is thick and pure pus, her chances of survival would be around 50-50. Is she drinking more than usual? If so, that's another symptom.

Personally, any unusual discharge from an older girl and she'd be at the vet's so fast her paws wouldn't touch the floor. Maybe I'm a tad paranoid on this one, but I've assisted at pyo ops and seen what can happen. They can get very, very ill, very fast.

Edited to add, it can also be due to an infection in the kidneys, which would also need prompt treatment, especially in a 14yr old.

Here in the states the uterus is removed (hysterectomy) during the spay. There can be a stump pyo but, its unlikely.

Edited by tbhounds

Here in the states the uterus is removed (hysterectomy) during the spay. There can be a stump pyo but, its unlikely.

True, but I get twitchy with the oldies. :blush

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop