Bare Patches

Guest SugarFire

Guest SugarFire

Hi there everyone! I have yet to get my grey but am in the process. I go to my local agency every chance I get, they are constantly getting new doggies in. I have noticed a lot of the dogs have sections of dry skin (I read on here a lot of you use Grizzly's salmon oil, so I will try this once I get my grey if she has that problem) or have really bare bums and patches of missing hair under therir necks around where the collar goes. They say it grows back with time once they get into their forever home but my question is the following: Is there any product that you can use to help speed up the process whether topical or in pill/liquid format?

Thanks for the help, I've really enjoyed reading all the posts and seeing all the amazing pictures on here!!

It does grow back for some dogs but for some it doesn't. Dry skin I consider a problem which is usually solved by a good diet. Bald or nearly bald thighs, necks, chests or bellies are not unusual nor do I consider that to be a problem. Heck, Greyhound gatherings are known to have "Baldest Butt" contests. :)

Teague's bald butt (mostly) grew back in. I think it depends on the cause of it (genetic vs. just being rubbed off). Some people give a supplement (melatonin?) which can help but it's really just for cosmetic purposes. Teague also had a bad case of dandruff and "kennel coat" but that soon grew out.

Guest SugarFire

Thanks for the responses guys. I know the baldness is cosmetic and not a "real" problem but if there's anything that I can do to help it go away I'd try it. As long as my new girl is happy and healthy then all will be good. :flip

RedHead, Melatonin? I know what that is but never heard of it for hair growth, I personally take biotin as a suppliment for my hair and nails, wonder if I can give a grey the same...

I've had a total of 10 greys. one of my current girls Emerald is really my only permanently bald butted girl. Tanzanite has very thin fur over her butt, but it's there. Opal has a small bald patch here and there on her butt. (she never raced or even went into the race kennels...so it has to be genetic). But I can't really say she's got a bald but. Just a bald patch, the size of a silve dollar.

However, Topaz, Brindle, Pearl, Diamond, Onyx and Crystal all had the thickest fur. I miss that. Not a bald spot among them. I loved running my fingers thru their fur. It was gorgeous for all 6 of them.

Barbie's butt is furry in winter and bald in summer. It is her inbuilt airconditioning system. She also gets a pretty bald belly when its' really hot. She had a bald bit on her neck but when I changed "house" collars (from a nylon webbing one to a hemp one) she grew that hair back.

Guest SugarFire

Don't be shocked come spring when (s)he sheds. During Angie's first spring with us she she shed like crazy!

Yes, even dogs that "don't shed" have their annual shedding cycle. I had a little italian greyhound and she would go through it once or twice a year. The shedding doesn't bother me, that's what I have a Roomba for! ;-)

Barbie's butt is furry in winter and bald in summer. It is her inbuilt airconditioning system. She also gets a pretty bald belly when its' really hot. She had a bald bit on her neck but when I changed "house" collars (from a nylon webbing one to a hemp one) she grew that hair back.

:hehe:hehe

I have heard the thing about the thyroid and the baldness.

I've had a total of 10 greys. one of my current girls Emerald is really my only permanently bald butted girl. Tanzanite has very thin fur over her butt, but it's there. Opal has a small bald patch here and there on her butt. (she never raced or even went into the race kennels...so it has to be genetic). But I can't really say she's got a bald but. Just a bald patch, the size of a silve dollar.

However, Topaz, Brindle, Pearl, Diamond, Onyx and Crystal all had the thickest fur. I miss that. Not a bald spot among them. I loved running my fingers thru their fur. It was gorgeous for all 6 of them.

WOAHHHHH, TEN?! That's amazing!!

Thanks for all the responses guys!