Rice Krispies Sound Under Skin

A newly adopted male greyhound, 4 days post neutering, has developed that "rice krispies" sound under the skin of his neck and back.

Boris is eating, peeing, pooping fine and shows no discomfort.

I have directed the owner to this thread and sent him information posted in a 2009 thread on the same topic: SubQ emphysema.

I will be checking with the kennel manager tomorrow so he can inquire if there was anything abnormal noticed during the neuter surgery.

Could a possible introduction of air occurred during the placement of a microchip?

From all I've read the subQ air will gradually dissipate over the next few weeks.

Edited by macoduck

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

tbhounds, I've never heard of that happening before. How frequent an occurence is this?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Had a little foster get this when she was conked on the top of her head by another dog's tooth. A soft, crackly lump had appeared on her head. The point of puncture was hard to find. The vet had to shave that area to find it. It had apparently sealed shut quickly but not before air was sucked in through the puncture. We called her Airhead for a couple weeks. Problem resolved on its own without further treatment or complications.

Guest blueberri

Happened to a friend when her cat was intubated - a hole developed in her trachea, and she had issues with subcutaneous emphysema for about 5 weeks afterwards, with lots of vet input and various treatments.

Guest greybookends

Sheana had a puncture on the inside of her thigh a few years ago and got the cracklies over half her body. It didn't seam to bother her and it went away in about a week. It was really weird though.

The crackly noises have gone away. Kennel manager checked with the vet and there was nothing unusual about the neuter surgery. May have been the microchip after all.

tiny hada siggy.png