An Unplanned Addition

GreyPoopon

Annie has been here for almost three months, but this thread was delayed by my tardiness in posting Graham's Remembrance thread.

About a week after I said goodbye to Graham, a return appeared on the GRA Canada Adoptables page: Sansa (Do Marcia). I noticed her because she was 9. But I didn't need or want another dog, and Bill of GRA can usually place a 9-year-old fairly quickly.

That didn't stop me from having a look at her greyhound-data page. A few things stood out: she hadn't raced long, retiring shortly before her third birthday. She'd competed in Florida, and had probably been brought north by another group. Her birthday was September 3. That meant she was almost 10. And September 3 has been a big day here: Tally (1999) and Graham (2000) were both born on September 3, and Cora arrived home on September 3 (2007). Plus I think Sansa was added to the Adoptables page on my birthday.

The annual GRA Picnic was on Saturday June 8. I wondered if Bill would suggest that I meet Sansa. Shortly after I arrived, I was standing with a woman who had lost her grey a few months earlier. Bill drove up. He said he wanted to speak to her. About Sansa. She said she could not adopt again until the end of July because she was going to be on vacation, but if Sansa were still available then, she'd meet her. Bill assured her that Sansa would not last the day--someone at the picnic would take her home.

Someone didn't. When the list was updated to reflect the picnic adoptions, Sansa was still on it.

In the meantime, I realized that I had arrived home without Poppy's muzzle. I thought it had fallen out of the car when I'd stopped near the kennel to drop off donations. I sent an email to Bill asking him to save it for me if it appeared. He called Monday to say that it had been turned in. He joked that I could get it when I came to pick up Sansa. He was astounded that she had not been adopted at the picnic. He said she was one of the sweetest hounds that he'd ever had there. I asked if he thought she'd fit. She'd fit anywhere. I asked if he thought she'd be OK crated. She didn't object at the kennel.

I thought about it for a few hours. I still didn't need or want another dog, but it kills me to see an almost-10-year-old, who has been in a home for almost 7 years, back in a kennel. (Her family's schedules changed and she wasn't getting enough attention. She was very well cared for in that home.) I had room, and I expected to have even more shortly. (I was wrong about that, fortunately--all my old dears are still hanging in.) I checked to see if I could get her into the clinic for a checkup and bath, and made sure there was space for her at school. Then I called Bill and arranged to meet her.

On Wednesday June 12, I met Sansa and brought her home. I wasn't fond of her name and she wasn't responding to it particularly well, so I renamed her to the sort-of-similar-sounding Annie. (Apologies to fans of Game of Thrones.)

Bill was right. She fit in beautifully. Plus, after 4 losses in 7 1/2 months, she's been a breath of fresh air.

I have a lot of pics, so here are some from the first few days. I'll post more and tell you about her in another thread.

Greeting Bill and saying goodbye:

AIntro01.jpg

Wondering what's awaiting her in the outside world:

AIntro02.jpg

Waiting for me to join her in the turnout area:

AIntro03.jpg

Getting to know her new Mom (She's since had a dental, and the lump on her neck visible in the second pic has been removed):

AIntro04.jpg

OK, Mom, I'm ready to go! (I think the hands belong to a volunteer):

AIntro05.jpg

Lying quietly on the long ride home:

AIntro06.jpg

Standing on the driveway, checking out her new yard. I wish I'd gotten all of her ears:

AIntro07.jpg

After introductory walks with her new sisters, lying a couple of feet from where she was in the previous pic, watching the world go by:

AIntro08.jpg

We had a bit of a wait before we could go to the clinic, so she settled in and enjoyed the attention:

AIntro09.jpg

Trying out the beds in the living room on the first night. Minnie, bottom right, thinks I should be paying attention to her:

AIntro10.jpg

Also on the first night, sharing the beds in my office with Perry (cell phone pic):

AIntro11.jpg

By the next afternoon, she was snuggling with Pink (cell phone pic):

AIntro12.jpg

The day after that, she was snuggling with Poppy. Poppy is not a snuggler (cell phone pic):

AIntro13.jpg

Pretty girl on the beds:

AIntro14.jpg

Enough with the flashy box!:

AIntro15.jpg

Welcome home Annie! :)

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13), Grey Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23)

Congratulations! She is beautiful and she looks like she has lived with you forever :)

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Welcome home, Annie! :confetti

She's a beauty.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

What a doll she is! Welcome home Miss Annie. :heart. Seniors rock! :)

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

What a sweet face. No wonder you couldn't resist. :beatheart:beatheart:beatheart

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

Congratulations :confetti .

She's very pretty :wub: .

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

Congratulations to the whole family! She is exceptionally pretty, isn't she? :wub:

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Welcome home, Annie :confetti She looks totally settled and she is gorgeous (even when she's had it with the flash box :lol )

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Guest PhillyPups

:confetti WELCOME HOME BEAUTIFUL ANNIE :confetti

I am so happy you found each other, cause if I found her I would have gotten her in a heartbeat. I am a sucker for the old hounds :beatheart