My Greyhound Saga--An Introduction

Guest Mr_Owski

Guest kadees_crash

What a beautiful story! So glad that you & your girlfriend happened to find your way into the wonderful world of greyhounds, and that you were able to reunite those handsome brothers. :) So many adorable pictures, too!

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Mr_Owski

More pictures to come.

Just took the dogs on a vacation to the Smokey Mountains and had a blast....save some reluctancy on the dogs' part to climb certain parts of the hikes we went on that resulted in me carrying them. The new pup is settling in more as we see bits of his true personality come out each day.

By far the most intriguing and arguably cute thing he does is that when he gets to sniffing a scent, especially when he gets his nose close to a face to try and smell what the human ate last, he chatters his teeth like a skeleton very loudly.

What a great story!

Your story reminds me so much of my daughter and her fiancé, who moved to Houston so my daughter could attend graduate school. Being away from all of their family, my daughter was so lonely and really wanted a dog. They ended up adopting a black greyhound. She is the reason I have a greyhound! She wants another one. Her boy's brother came up for adoption recently and she really wanted to adopt him, but they weren't able to.

You have a great looking family! Please keep us updated on how things are going with the boys.

61bd4941-fc71-4135-88ca-2d22dbd4b59a_zps

Payton, The Greyhound (Palm City Pelton) and Toby, The Lab
Annabella and Julietta, The Cats
At the Bridge - Abby, The GSD

Guest Mr_Owski

The whole gang on the Blue Ridge Pkwy outside of Asheville, NC

10363103844_bb4f6a4203_z.jpg

First time riding in a trunk....normally they just get the back seat, but this looks arguably more comfortable.10363105054_ae022d10ce_z.jpg

Mirror image at the dog park.

10363105224_5fb192d717_z.jpg

Brotherly love.

(I'll admit they we positioned them a little bit)

10363105084_a718a87eb9_z.jpg

We are very happy the new one is a roacher.

10363105774_663fc30eff_z.jpg

Not only did Whompus decide to take a nap in the doorway.....he stuck his nose in the door hinge.

10363106484_0628f30f8e_z.jpg

At our hotel they insisted several times on sharing the same bed instead of using 1 each like at home.

10363466536_fac8a2ef65_z.jpg

We're going on an adventure!

10363466966_a088530369_z.jpg

Camouflage fail

10363466976_0e47f731a4_z.jpg

Fresh mountain water

10363467006_6cbdd838a9_z.jpg

Can we go home now? I'm sick of nature.

10363468216_e3ba4688cb_z.jpg

That addition was just made a week ago where our local dog park was split in half. He'll start to run at any lead dog, a passing cyclist, or dog running along the outside of the fence.

Both times I've seen him start biting/nipping at the lead dog it wasn't a super small breed that got him revved....probably was a 25-30lb small-ish breed that was being "picked on" by several dogs chasing it.

His mouthing isn't so much an open playful mouth like I've seen other dogs do. It's a series of repetitive snaps (no growling) where he keeps going after the dog while biting with the front part of his mouth.

I'm making every effort to supervise him during these sessions to stop him when this behavior occurs. My only hope is that he doesn't get to thinking I'm wanting him to stop the playing all together. I just don't want to pay for another dog's vet bills or have my dog get hurt as a result of his initial resort to using teeth. Nattie is a much more subdued and calm dog in the park, so I'm conscious about the fact that the juxtaposition of the two may make Whompus' actions seem worse than they actually are.

James went after a cocker spaniel like this at the dog park once. Scared the crap out of me. By the yelps that dog was making, I was expecting it to be dead. Not a scratch on him, though. Thankfully, the owners were super understanding and didn't care at all over what happened. They remarked on his excellent bite inhibition. Me? I was horrified and left the park. We don't really go to dog parks anymore unless only legitimate "big" dogs are around. This is true even for separate big and small dog parks, as plenty of people still bring their small dogs into the big dog park. It's unfortunate because I'd love to let him (and now his sister) run in such a big space.

• 1 month later...
Guest Mr_Owski

We're coming up on the 3 month anniversary of having the brothers back together again.

Both get along with each other pretty darn well. There are rare instances during play or running where one might growl or snarl at the other if space in invaded or if they both go after the same ball/toy, but apartment life with them is enjoyable and very comfortable in our 1000 sq. ft.

Having the second dog is presumably like having a second child in that we're not stressing out or being as proactive with training since we've kinda been around the block before with dog number one. Whompus' personality is coming out more and more, and he's proving to be a bit more intelligent with commands...though I'm not sure if that's because he's "smarter" or if he picks up on how those commands should be responded to by observing Nattie. Either way, we get tons of comments and are constantly stopped when going for walks.

The weirdest thing we have going on at the moment is that the dogs are getting into the habit of switching beds with one another at some point during the night. When we wake up and go to pet one or the other, we're constantly thrown for a loop when we realize we're petting a dog we didn't expect to.

I'm just seeing all of this now and I have to admit, I'm kind of in love with your pair. They're so cute together and I love the way the story happened. They remind me of a pair of brothers who were in foster care when I first got involved with greyhounds and my rescue group. The two boys were inseparable and the group wanted to place them together, but it took a long time to find someone who would take both at the same time (they did eventually find one). They were black too. :wub:

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Mr_Owski

We'll be attempting our first 13 hour car ride with 2 dogs in the back seat. We've purchased one of those inflatable seat extenders to fill in the gap to prevent them from falling in between the back of the front seats and the start of the bench rear seat. It's worked great on our short trips, so I think we should be okay for the long haul....crossed fingers we'll avoid bad weather.

On a lighter note, it's the pair's first birthday with us! This littermate stuff makes remembering their birthday a breeze.

Whompus on the left, Nattie on the right

11425959913_f5cd3f2ee1_c.jpg

Happy birthday to the handsome duo with some of my favorite names ever! :blowcandle:balloonparty

And good luck with your travels!

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

awwww!!! what a pair of cuties!!!!! they look SO much alike!

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

A Very Happy Birthday to Whompus & Nattie! Oh, and many, many more! :balloonparty:blowcandle

Have a safe and fabulous trip!

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

they are so adorable.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Mr_Owski

Just about to wrap up our trip home to visit family in Chicago, and we've received A LOT of snow.

I thought the dogs would be rather averse to snow (and the cold) seeing as that they raced in Arizona and Florida and have been living with us in North Carolina. However, we've purchased some booties for them, and they seem ecstatic every time we take them for walks. At the end of the leash they're bouncing and prancing through the fresh powder with us. We have some tennis courts that we let them off leash to run and get some energy out, and they're great to watch. Nattie makes snow angels constantly and will dive face first into snow to rub his snout around before rolling onto his back and flip flopping from side to side. Whompus, for some reason, will run a lot, then grab a mouthful of snow and continue running....then grab another mouthful of snow...etc.

They've gotten along surprisingly well with both of my girlfriend's cats, despite both being labeled as NOT cat safe. Nattie could care less about them, and it took us only a day of ensuring Whompus no longer paid attention either. They've slept fine in the same room with the cats, and the only one having some trouble adjusting is the female cat who's very wary and hisses. I think the stress of such a different environment has taken it's toll in the forms of getting into trouble where they normally wouldn't back in our home, but for the most part it has been a great experience. I'll be sewing some PJ's today for them with my mother, and I'll post up pics soon.

So after a marathon day of sewing we finally finished the PJs for the dogs.

11741491103_6acba84317_z.jpg

Now if you could find some Thing One and Thing Two fabric they'd be even cuter (if it's possible for them to be cuter).

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

• 1 month later...
Guest Mr_Owski

Tomorrow marks a year to the day that we put Nattie on hold.

We got a fair amount of snow in NC and had a blast today with the doggies.

Whompus in blue coat, Nattie in green

12514938545_28f2118289_z.jpg12515405084_027b073a8f_z.jpg

12515404274_19ec1802a5_z.jpg12504738554_e0dd339f82_z.jpg

Edited by Mr_Owski

Okay...I need to know who made the argyle collars - I love them!

Such a handsome pair!

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Thanks for all the wonderful replies! This is a very welcoming forum.

We got very, very lucky in acquiring his brother. Had the circumstances been any different, I'm not sure if we would have sprung for another dog right away, but even 4 days into having #2 we're happy with our situation.

I forgot to post this one earlier, but I'll be starting a line of dog toupees in the near future.

When Nattie was shedding badly back in May, I just wadded up all his hair after I was done brushing and thought it would make for a good picture.....which it did.

9689767146_6f72588105_z.jpg

:hehe and people think that Greyhounds don't moult...lovely story btw...I used to own litter brothers but had them from pups.

<p>"One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am"Sadi's Pet Pages Sadi's Greyhound Data PageMulder1/9/95-21/3/04 Scully1/9/95-16/2/05Sadi 7/4/99 - 23/6/13 CroftviewRGT