My Greyhound Saga--An Introduction

Guest Mr_Owski

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a wonderful story! Congratulations on adopting brothers- they are both very handsome!

Love your pictures, especially the coconut hat and the toupee! :lol

gallery_22163_3545_9670.jpg

Humans Kathy and Jim with our girls, Ivy (Carolina Spoon) and Cherry (Fly Cherry Pie)

Missing our beautiful angel Breeze (Dighton Breeze) and angel Beka (BM Beko) - you are forever in our hearts.

:lol . :lol

Awesome face and toupee!!

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

Congratulations on both your boys!

(I see Lexie is going to have some competition in the dog headgear and other torture department.)

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest PhillyPups

Hi, :welcome Welcome to GT

What a greyt story. And to have met Ducky at the starting gate, made it doubly entertaining. :lol

Handsome boys, you, like Judy (JillysFullHouse) did adopt the whole litter :rofl

Greyhounds do quite well in pairs, they keep each other company and teach each other. Very handsome brothers there. :beatheart

Guest sireltonsmom

Thanks for sharing. Littermates are fun- we fostered a boy and a girl littermate and she was a mini-me to the boy. Yours look the same. Congrats and many happy years together.

We have two and I truly believe, while some dogs are happy as singles, they celebrate sharing a home with another greyhound or other dog. They're the one breed that are surrounded by other dogs all their lives til up for adoption at age 18 months and up.

:ghplaybow :gh_runner

:welcome

Congrats!

You've joined a fabulous 'cult'

We've owned a variety of large-breed dogs for 30++ years, but now we'll never have anything else but Greys.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

they are so easy, which is why I can manage to foster Greyhounds whilst I have a grey and a mastiff X in my small house :) oh and two cats. Congrats on the matching boys they both look adorable :D

Guest Mr_Owski

Thanks to everyone!

I'll update this with more pics shortly with our recent adventures. We had some fun in the pool and with hiking.

The only problems I'm running into with the new one are that he's has a higher prey and play drive.

I can break his concentration when there is a small animal around, but it'll take some work to "rehabilitate" him. He definitely does snap out of it though.

He tends to be very nippy and mouthy when playing with other dogs, and I'm super hesitant about letting him be off-muzzle at the dog park. 95% of the time he's great with other dogs, but when a small pack gets chasing after a certain lead dog, he has been snipping a lot at them. The other thing that concerns me is that when I say his name sternly and approach with a tall stance walking towards him, he stops the nipping/chasing and cowers like he's afraid I'm gonna hit him or hurt him....leading me to believe that he may have been mistreated. I guess this is all part of owning greyhounds, but it's been interesting encountering problems that we didn't experience it first.

In my experience, if I approach my dogs standing tall and speaking sternly, they will cower, too. It has nothing to do with mistreatment - you are intimidating him. Mine are cat and small dog safe, but if a pack on gets going, they will jump in and join the fray. Also, mine mouth at the neck when playing with each other.

Sounds like you have a good pair, though!

Congrats!

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Mr_Owski, does your dog park have separate areas for small and large dogs or is it any lead dog in the chase that gets him revved up?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest Mr_Owski

Mr_Owski, does your dog park have separate areas for small and large dogs or is it any lead dog in the chase that gets him revved up?

That addition was just made a week ago where our local dog park was split in half. He'll start to run at any lead dog, a passing cyclist, or dog running along the outside of the fence.

Both times I've seen him start biting/nipping at the lead dog it wasn't a super small breed that got him revved....probably was a 25-30lb small-ish breed that was being "picked on" by several dogs chasing it.

His mouthing isn't so much an open playful mouth like I've seen other dogs do. It's a series of repetitive snaps (no growling) where he keeps going after the dog while biting with the front part of his mouth.

I'm making every effort to supervise him during these sessions to stop him when this behavior occurs. My only hope is that he doesn't get to thinking I'm wanting him to stop the playing all together. I just don't want to pay for another dog's vet bills or have my dog get hurt as a result of his initial resort to using teeth. Nattie is a much more subdued and calm dog in the park, so I'm conscious about the fact that the juxtaposition of the two may make Whompus' actions seem worse than they actually are.

Guest kalzanetti

Loved reading that. I am in the process of getting our 1st greyhound, and would love 2, but that maybe too much since we currently have 2 whippets that are 6. If they had a 2 for 1 deal, I may jump on that, LOL. Glad to see the reunion of the 2 brothers. They are SO HANDSOME. What luck you had getting them.

Wow - what beautiful boys! Although it must be hard telling them apart! Sounds like your new addition will be cat trainable, if with a lot of work. It also sounds like you have a good feel for your hounds' individual natures and for what you need to do to keep each boy safe, and ensure the safety of others around him. Given you don't come from dog families you're doing really well! We've had our girl, Emmie, for six months now and I'd love to get another but with three cats I'm not keen to tempt fate right now. I'm trying not to make things more complicated than they have to be!

I should also add that Emmie has always wanted to please us, and she will also do the cowering thing on the few occasions we've had to tell her off. I think she's just mortified that we're upset with her and desperate to make things better!