My Greyhound Saga--An Introduction

Guest Mr_Owski

Guest Mr_Owski

Hi there,

Since my girlfriend and I have taken a dive into the world of greyhounds, I figured I’d make my first post on here a doozy. I apologize for the long back story, but a lot has happened to us.

A year ago we got our first apartment together while she attends graduate school. Her family is huge on cats, and mine have no desire for or love of dogs. So when we got settled into our new place the conversation came up relatively quickly about getting one. She’s been hung up on golden retrievers for a long while, but I have huge objections to shedding. We entertained the idea of a golden doodle, but the high energy level we had seen with several at a local dog park had made us question our choice. After watching the AKC championships on TV, my sights were then set on a pharaoh hound. For whatever reason(s), she wasn’t sold on them, but I liked the sleek look a lot of sight hounds possess. One day when the topic of a dog arose again, we decided to peruse the different dog breeds on a website. I asked if she’d ever consider a greyhound, but neither of us had ever met one before in 24 years of life. We started doing a bunch of online research to see if the breed would be a good fit for our lifestyle. We’ve learned a lot from this website.

Spontaneously, the day after Valentine’s Day, I asked if she’d like to head to a local greyhound kennel to see if we wanted to pursue things further. Needless to say, she fell in love instantaneously. We had a dog on hold by the time we left. I’ll admit it was initially out of the fear of potentially losing that particular dog to someone else. So when we got home the serious talks began of budgeting and how we would make it work. We were both extremely nervous since neither of us had owned a dog before, and getting a 70lb male was also daunting to us. We did our price shopping at the local petsmart just to see what we’d be getting into (although we bought most of our supplies online). Just by happenstance we were looking at the dog crates when a middle-aged gentleman started asking us what type of dog we were planning to buy. When we said “greyhound”, he unzipped his jacket to reveal an “Adopt a retired racer” t-shirt. Turns out he owns 3, has fostered numerous others, and has volunteered time at both local greyhound kennels. We couldn’t believe our luck, and he served as our greyhound liaison for asking questions and reassuring us about our decision.

Sure enough, one month after visiting the kennel we brought home our 3 and a half year old boy, Nattie (racing name: Netanyahu) with 100 races under his belt. Over the past 6 months he has been a joy to watch open up to us and to the retired lifestyle. He’s a velcro dog and loves to lean. Took him a little while to master the stairs and to understand what toys are, but now he loves to fetch even when it brings him to the point of wheezing. Despite him being initially labeled as not cat safe, he got along great with my girlfriend’s cats when we visited home, and he has no issues with small dogs. He has a curiosity to say hi to all animals, but after the initial sniff introductions he has no inclination to play with other dogs. The fact that their endurance is inexistent has been great having a dog that has such a low energy around our apartment once he gets out his running. He has mastered how to give paw, sit, stay, down, take a bow, and to wait with a treat on his nose until I say so. He’s unlike any other dog I’ve ever seen.

Upon getting him, we were excited to learn about greyhound-data.com and the ability to view his lineage and racing history. We learned that he was only 1 of 2 dogs in the litter, which from what we’ve heard is uncommonly small. His brother, T’s Cattywhompus, was still competing with 126 races at the time we had adopted Nattie. However, the race entries stopped at that number back in March, and we periodically checked to see what he was up to. There was no picture of him, and I had tried several times to get in touch with the track, owners, and trainers to no avail.

Come May, the kennel we got our dog from had their 20th anniversary party. We ended up meeting a guy who owned retired racers and was trying to get more involved in the racing dog ownership side of things. He graciously took my information to try and see if he could locate our dog’s brother. Sure enough, a week later he told us the brother had pulled a leg muscle and was resting on a farm….I’ll admit I have no idea what that meant. We were not looking to get another dog at that point because we had only had our current one for barely 2 months. However, we still told him to let his trainers know that in the event T’s Cattywhompus was to be retired to let us know since the idea of owning the only 2 brothers was very sentimental and appealing. We weren’t expecting the next turn of events.

We got an email 6 weeks later saying that his brother was for sure done with racing and that we’d have to give a decisive yes/no whether they would ship him up to North Carolina from Florida, or else he’d stay down there to be adopted. My girlfriend and I were very nervous about making an impulsive decision or getting in over our heads. Given the ease of ownership and amount of enjoyment we’ve gotten out of our first one, we decided to give the go ahead and have him sent up to our local kennel. T’s Cattywhompus arrived here on July 4th. We made numerous visits to see him and to reintroduce our dogs. After a short vacation and visit home across the country, we finally sealed the deal and adopted our second greyhound within 6 months on September 2nd. Whompus, as we now call him, is settling in just fine and is learning how to be a house dog. Even over the past 4 days we’re already seeing small changes. There’s still a lot of progress to be made, but this breed is ideal. We love them. Lol I can’t say we’ll be getting any more in the foreseeable future since our space is limited, and I don’t wish to buy a huge car. Had this breed been overly rambunctious or energetic we likely would’ve stuck with one, but we’ve learned how easy and tame they can be…that has made our household all the better.

Here are shots of our first, Nattie:

9688722432_c4819aab34.jpg9688723840_42fef9306e.jpg9688724514_18059756cc.jpg9685491993_ba66fc25c3.jpg9685491953_eacc70f159.jpg

9688733118_dbc4f2fd96.jpg9685493375_407d0682e4.jpg9685490509_8170e2e0ed.jpg9685486847_c6531fe9e8.jpg

This is the first day we met Whompus and the first time they've seen each other in over 2 years:

9688724532_05ca4d8475.jpg9685485811_12f7628754.jpg

And these are the recent photos and moments we've been able to enjoy over the past 4 days:

9685490633_4e7e4cd284.jpg9685492383_df2dc2c5bf.jpg

9685488243_a44d65fd7c.jpg9685492789_1d9b3ac865.jpg

Edited by Mr_Owski

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome! I love me some black hounds so I'm a little jealous :beatheart:beatheart:beatheart They are so super easy, aren't they. I don't think I'll never NOT have one in the house. Congrats and welcome home to the boys.

Missing my bridge greys Opal and Eden and cat Bailey. Mom to Missy the Super Mutt and recent foster failure of Miley to mini-mutt.

Welcome, congratulations and you're in for years of love and adventures! If you look closely at my avatar, you might think you're looking at black sisters and you would be right! From our house to yours - siblings rock!

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

What a fantastic story!!! That is so awesome that you were able to adopt littermates. They look so cute together. You all make a lovely family!!!

Btw: LOVE the coconut hat!!!

Edited by RMarie

Wow, GREAT story, and welcome to GT!! :welcome2

Nattie and Whompus are adorable!! :beatheart

Please feel free to share lots more pics of your littermates with us! :)

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

Welcome Mr_Owski and family! I'm the gal who took your photo just outside the kennel area. Glad to see you have made it here to Greytalk.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Congratulations! I thoroughly enjoyed your story. In fact, as soon as I started reading it, I realized it was going to be good so I restarted reading it out loud for DH. You made us both laugh!

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Welcome to GT!!! And that is awesome you have two siblings and they're black! Both are beautiful, congrats.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Welcome to GT! I had 'twins', too--both gone now though. :( It was wonderful having littermates, you will love it!

We just adopted our fifth greyhound on September 2nd....she's an 'only' dog since our other four have passed.

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

Guest Doggone

Lovely story, lovely pictures!

I, too, have been amazed that greys are so easy and cooperative! Mine is an "only" and will probably remain so, but she seems almost custom-made for me!

They're definitely unlike any breed I have ever had or encountered, but in wonderful ways. :)

Enjoy your boys........they're gorgeous!

What a cool story and what handsome brothers! And I LOVE their names. Now you've got me curious about how to find my own girl's single littermate (a sister who never raced)...

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

Guest Mr_Owski

Thanks for all the wonderful replies! This is a very welcoming forum.

We got very, very lucky in acquiring his brother. Had the circumstances been any different, I'm not sure if we would have sprung for another dog right away, but even 4 days into having #2 we're happy with our situation.

I forgot to post this one earlier, but I'll be starting a line of dog toupees in the near future.

When Nattie was shedding badly back in May, I just wadded up all his hair after I was done brushing and thought it would make for a good picture.....which it did.

9689767146_6f72588105_z.jpg

Edited by Mr_Owski

both boyz are just adorable! congrats!!! :kiss2

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

:hehe Awesome! <Insert obligatory Donald Trump reference here>

Oh, the Donald wishes he looked this good!

:confetti Congratulations and welcome to GT! I recognized their names right away from the GFNC website. Both my girls came from GFNC. I loved your intro story and pictures! I look forward to hearing more about your two handsome boys and seeing lots of pictures!

Edited by galgrey

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown