Dogs Not Eating, What Do I Do?!

Guest nic1709

Guest nic1709

Hello all,

I'm new to greyhound owning! I've had my lovely hounds for almost 2 months now. When we first got them, getting them to eat was a bit of a chore and I put it down to nerves- being in a new place and not being used to us. Then after a few weeks they were guzzling anything and everything we gave them. Now, they seem to be on hunger strike! It started this week, turning their noses up to the kibble that they loved last week. I've changed the kibble thinking that maybe they were bored of it. That worked on the first night, but no such luck since then.

I feed the dogs twice a day. Once at 6am and once at 6pm. Around 1ish they get 'treat time', where they are given either a raw hide bone, filled kong or doggie biscuits or other such things to eat. They love treat time! They were eating (up till recently) 2 weetabix cereal blocks and 2 slices of brown bread with milk and water for breakfast. They had worms recently, and when I told the vet about breakfast, he said just to give them dog food. So now they get 2 half pint glasses of kibble and half a tin of dog meat on top with water added to the kibble. In the evening they get the same amount of kibble with water but with either tuna or sardines in oil. They have no problem eating the dog meat or the fish, but the kibble gets left every time. We've now got 3 different bags of kibble in the cupboard- ranging from expensive to supermarket own but nothing takes their fancy. This is turning out to be an expensive eating disorder!!

I'm worried that the dogs will lose weight and become lethargic if they don't eat. I try hard not to leave the kibble out too long as it bloats with the added water and looks incredibly unappetising! Has anyone experienced this problem before and if so, how did you overcome it? Can anyone recommend a good quality kibble? I live in Scotland so often the food that is suggested (on google and other sites related to greyhounds) is only available in America!

Thanks in advance for any advice/replies.

It doesn't sound like a problem with the kibble....it sounds like you have some spoiled hounds that prefer meat to kibble. :P

Have you tried feeding only kibble? Perhaps if they think it's kibble or nothing, they'll give in and eat the kibble.

I wouldn't eat dog food either if I was getting goodies like that! :P

My dogs get kibble and nothing else at their meal times. Every once in a blue moon I might give something fun in their food (a sardine, a tiny bit of canned food, a spoonful of yogurt). And I mean once in a blue moon... like every 2-3 months maybe. They get lots of goodies at other times for training, or when we leave for the day. But at meal time they just get kibble. And if someone decides to be picky for no reason (i.e. not sick) then they just go hungry. I don't entice them to eat. I don't offer the food again 10 minutes later. I don't change their food. I just take it away until their next meal time. So if someone doesn't eat breakfast they wait until dinner for their next chance. They learn pretty quick that way that they best eat what is put in front of them or they'll have to go hungry until next meal time.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

If they are eating the "good stuff" and treats, but not the kibble, they are just being picky! I have a Picky Princess, so I am familiar :) Unless they have a health problem, they won't starve themselves. Try giving them plain kibble for a few days, nothing else (that is hard, I know!) and see if that doesn't get them going again. Put the food out, leave it for maybe 15 min, then pick it up and don't feed them again until dinner. If you can't stand to do just kibble, pick ONE item to add, or give them their treats, but keep to the pick up after a few minutes and don't feed again routine. If they are still not eating after a few days of this, it might be time for a vet check. Good luck!

Guest Doggone

I had this issue with Autumn. Her hunger was "selective", depending on the appeal (to her) of the item. All her "systems" were working fine, so I decided to wait her out. I stopped all treats and just established the meal plan that I wanted for her.

Miracle of miracles..........we're now on MY plan, with occasional treats only on MY schedule. :D

Guest nic1709

Wow, thanks for all the responses! I can't believe I'm spoiling them so much!!! I thought I was under feeding as well... oh dear! Well I'll give them plain kibble from now on and a treat on top occasionally. They do live way above their means- nothing wrong with them at all as they've just finished off some left over salmon from dinner. It's reassuring to hear that others are not feeding so much and good to know that I'm the problem, not them! Thank you for your replies :D

Guest Katherineaz

When we picked up our Grey I was told of her pickiness with eating and we didn't want to get stuck into that trap (and she was over weight). We do the dry dog food with a splash of Veggie Broth on it and nothing more. She wouldn't eat much the first week, but now - she eats it all up within minutes!!

Even without the people food, that's a LOT of food unless your dogs are particularly active. They're probably picky because they just don't need to eat that much. You'll have to do some experimenting with amounts, but you should feed only what will hold your dogs at a good weight and condition. For my dogs, that means @ a cup of kibble, plus a tablespoon of canned dog food, at each meal. Some dogs need a lot more, some dogs need less - it just depends on your dogs. Once you figure out the correct amount, your dogs should eat fine.

As far as what particular brand to feed, that also will depend on what you feel comfortable with feeding and what you can afford. Greyhounds can do well on many grades of kibble from cheapo store bought brands to high end, organic, and grain-free versions. Again, for us, we have chosen a mid-range lamb-and-rice kibble that is available at our grocery store. My dogs eat it, they hold their weight well on the exercise (and with the treats) they get, we have nicely formed stools with very few incidents of diarrhea or other stomach upset.

As far as a good condition, regardless of their body weight, you should be able to see a distinct "tuck up" at their waist, and the outline of two or three of their last ribs. You should also have good hip points at the tops of their hind legs. Some greys will also show a "dragon back" where some of their vertibrae will stick out. This isn't an indication of their weight, but is a genetic characteristic.

For what it's worth, I have two picky eaters. If they don't eat what I put down, when I put it down, they have to wait until the next meal. They might miss a meal or two, but they certainly won't starve themselves if and when they get hungry enough to eat. (Barring some sort of medical condition.)

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

We just adopted our 3rd grey recently and she wasn't eating. Normally, I'm not too concerned because dogs won't starve themselves. However, I needed to get her to eat because I didn't want our other 2 greys eating her food.

I add a bit (heaping tsp) of canned tripe to their kibble with warm water and they all scarf it down. I also tried other items such as sardines but found the tripe worked best and I only have to add a small amount. If they don't eat, they wait until their next meal for more food. But I found they all enjoy kibble and tripe and mealtimes are very easy.

I suspect you've created a picky eater and need some employ "tough love" for a few days.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Guest StansMom

I agree with everyone else. Stan gets kibble with a small spoonful of plain yogurt and he loves it. (Good for his terrible gas too.) If they're hungry, they'll eat whatever is there for them. I wouldn't go too crazy with the "people food" or the treats. Let them get used to what "their food" is supposed to be. Good luck!