Crockpot Chicken

NeylasMom

I'm cooking for Violet for a little bit to get her transitioned over from her K/D back onto a normal diet and I seem to recall people cooking entire chickens in the crockpot long enough that it was safe to feed everything, including the bone. Is this true?

If so, could someone give me instructions on how long and how I know when it's done enough? I bought a couple of packages of bone in thighs and am hoping to prepare them this way. I like the idea of actually having the bone be part of her diet since it is with the raw diet she's typically on.

Also, I'm mixing in canned pumpkin for the time being. Any idea on amounts/ratios to feed her? She typically eats 1 - 1 1/4 lbs of raw food on average daily. The hospital had her on 3 large cans of K/D daily, which I don't think was enough. I'm mid transition and am currently giving her about 1/2 can of K/D plus some cooked defatted meat (small amounts so far) plus 1/4 can of pumpkin per meal, and she's also getting some scrambled eggs. But so far I've sort of just been winging it. :P I'm hoping to keep her on the cooked diet through the weekend then switch over to raw next week.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I used to cook chicken necks in a pressure cooker for a long time so the neck bones could be eaten by my Great Dane. Not sure about bone-in thighs, though, since a pressure cooker might lose the moisture over a long time? I'd try the crock-pot for 24 hours and see what evolves. If not enough time, keep on cookin.

If not enough time, keep on cookin.

How will I know when it's been enough time?

I started the crockpot about an hour ago. Have them on high for the moment, but will turn down to low in a few hours unless someone advises otherwise.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest KennelMom

I once boiled a chicken carcass so long all the bones mushed up. I forgot it was on the stove...24 hours in a crockpot would probably work...I'd just keep adding liquid as necessary.

You'll know it's done when you take a fork to the bones and they mush up.

Edited by KennelMom

it will take at least 24 hours, and a fellow GH owner I know cooks turkey necks for 3 days on low.

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

I cook whole chickens until the bones mash up and are mushy. I check at intervals, probably takes about 24 hours. I always start it in the morning and it's cooked by the following morning. I do it on weekends when I am home though, just because of the length of time.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Post #13 here.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Guest Greyhound_Mom

In reply to your inquiry about cooking chicken in a crockpot. I don't cook in a crockpot rather in a roaster. My recipe is as follows:

"Chicken Gumbo"

10#'s Chicken (I get leg quarters for $.79/lb. at Wal-Mart...they are in a big heavy plastic bag.

1# Rice (uncooked) (wild rice is much better for them if you can afford it)

1# Frozen Mixed Veggies (microwaved and pureed)

Remove skin and fat from chicken. Place in electric roaster and cover with water. Cover w/ lid. Cook @ 200* until hot then reduce heat to 150* (play this by ear). Check liquid every 8 hrs or so to make sure Chicken remains covered in water. Cook from 3 to 4 days or until you can mash a bone w/ the back of a spoon against wall of cooker and it disintegrates.

(This is where you'll remove some of the meat-only for a sick-tummy batch. Cook this separately w/ rice and freeze)

Drain liquid from chicken retaining liquid. Place liquid in refrig or freezer while de-boning chicken. You should be able to mash the bone between your fingers. I toss the large leg bones. (I mash the chicken between my fingers as well to ensure that a stray bone hasn't accidentally been mixed in.)

Remove liquid from freezer and skim off any fat from the liquid. Combine chicken, liquid, cooked/pureed vegetables and rice in roaster. Cook w/o lid starting at 200* then reduce heat to 150*. Cook until medium-dry. Package in quart containers (I use my old quart Yogurt containers). Freeze.
- - - - - -

This will really save on the cost of wet food and is so much better for them.

Let me know if you have any trouble. I love making this for my fur-kids.

Don't hesitate to contact me if you need further help. Good Luck ! ! !