Stool Sample "storage"

I want to take a stool sample from Skye to the vet when I take Violet late afternoon so I'm going to gave to "save" her morning poop. What do I need to do?

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

:lol I wasn't sure if I needed to refrigerate it like you do urine. <shudder>

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I keep a set of tiny Gladware/disposable plastic storage-ware on hand for stuff like this. I collect the poop in a poop bag, drop some into the wee storageware, close it up, put it in a ziploc baggie, seal that up, and put it in the fridge. oh, and I don't let poop touch anything outside of the center of the storageware, and i wash my hands 3948329408230 times in the process. It takes me about three days. :lol

If you want to collect a grass-free, dirt-free, pine-needle-free sample, try slipping a small paper plate under Violet's back end. Then just bag plate and poop all at once. My vet has never complained about grass or other extras, but the paper plate is handy if someone's having soft poop or normally poops on tall grass or other complications.

Hint: Put your hand into a clean poop bag, and treat the bag as a glove protecting the hand that's positioning the plate. That will give you a little protection against splashes or a moving dog or other issues, and you just pull the bag down over plate and poop and all.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

If you want to collect a grass-free, dirt-free, pine-needle-free sample, try slipping a small paper plate under Violet's back end. Then just bag plate and poop all at once. My vet has never complained about grass or other extras, but the paper plate is handy if someone's having soft poop or normally poops on tall grass or other complications.

Hint: Put your hand into a clean poop bag, and treat the bag as a glove protecting the hand that's positioning the plate. That will give you a little protection against splashes or a moving dog or other issues, and you just pull the bag down over plate and poop and all.

Great idea!!

When Aston has loose (i.e., un-pickup-able) poop issues, I take cheap paper plates and grocery bags with us on walks. I love the looks I get from passersby when I am scooting a clean plate under his highness' butt; we shan't let his royal poop grace the grass! I try to pop my pinky out while handling things, to make it feel fancier.

edit to add: Got the paper-plate idea from GT in the first place. this forum rules :heart

Edited by o_rooly

I keep a set of tiny Gladware/disposable plastic storage-ware on hand for stuff like this. I collect the poop in a poop bag, drop some into the wee storageware, close it up, put it in a ziploc baggie, seal that up, and put it in the fridge. oh, and I don't let poop touch anything outside of the center of the storageware, and i wash my hands 3948329408230 times in the process. It takes me about three days. :lol

:lol I sort of have some recollection of doing something like this once in my life, which is why I thought I should post and ask for a reminder. I'm not sure there will be a "cool" place outside where the poop will definitely be safe so if it needs to be kept cool, I think this is the route I'm going. :puke

Is the vet close enough that you can just run it over when it's "fresh" in the morning and then take Violet with you later as scheduled?

Unfortunately no. They're 30 min each way. That's why I want to take it with me when we go.

:lol I sort of have some recollection of doing something like this once in my life, which is why I thought I should post and ask for a reminder. I'm not sure there will be a "cool" place outside where the poop will definitely be safe so if it needs to be kept cool, I think this is the route I'm going. :puke

Keep the cooties cootie-fresh!

Probably goes without saying, but I disavow any knowledge of that piece of gladware's existence after it's graced by poop cooties. My gift to the vet.

Or, if times are tough.... dishwasher? :puke:bath

Guest MnMDogs

Oh god, if I put these dogs' poop in the fridge, we'd have to trash the fridge. I find the igloo cooler with gel ice packs works quite well... Please for the love of god, don't put poop in your fridge (and stop doing it if you do) :P.

(But seriously, ew)

The last time I had to bring in Mork's poo (he was ill), it was triple bagged, and I still stunk up the waiting room with it.

I double-seal it, and poop ONLY.TOUCHES.THE.INSIDE.OF.THE.GLADWARE. not the rim, not the lid, not indirectly because my fingers, because I treat it as though I am handling macrobiotic dynamite. I guess my anal drive to get an A+ for effort in poop collection surpasses my rabid fear of giving my fridge bad poop energy to deal with. Just don't ask why that little bag in the fridge is labeled with masking tape.

This conversation does NOT LEAVE GT :lol

edit: I totally said anal in a poop thread. sigh

Edited by o_rooly

Guest MnMDogs

I double-seal it, and poop ONLY.TOUCHES.THE.INSIDE.OF.THE.GLADWARE. not the rim, not the lid, not indirectly because my fingers, because I treat it as though I am handling macrobiotic dynamite. I guess my anal drive to get an A+ for effort in poop collection surpasses my rabid fear of giving my fridge bad poop energy to deal with. Just don't ask why that little bag in the fridge is labeled with masking tape.

This conversation does NOT LEAVE GT :loledit: I totally said anal in a poop thread. sigh

Unless its in a hermetically sealed, impermeable container... Like I said, ewww!

Heh, anal.

Best thread I ever started on GT. :lol

Guest MnMDogs

Why are you still awake?

I should add this (:P) or else I just sound angry. But this is one of the best threads- especially if it stops people (*cough* ORooly *cough*) from refrigerating poo

Edited by MnMDogs

Is it too late to strike a haughty stance against those who DON'T deliver only the freshest poo to the vet? night's still young, I am running on fumes and could potentially turn this into a flaming bag of thread. :nod

On my phone now, can't see the emoticon menu, so I'm trying to guess at the codes for the icons I want, but am coming up fruitless. this is severely limiting. here, a frownyface :(

Doesn't need to be refrigerated.

ETA: With urine, you're trying to prevent certain chemical changes that would affect the urinalysis. Poop is different.

Edited by Batmom

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I really need t drink more coffee before I get on GT. I thought the thread title said "Simple Tool Storage" and I'm like "Oh I got this..."

Yeah, not so much. :lol

:coffee

Am I ever glad the clinic is only two minutes away. :lol

I haven't been told to refrigerate the poop, so I don't. I do find a sun-free spot for it. Yesterday, that was the garage.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

What I don't understand is why my vet's office always asks if I want the container back.

Does anyone ever say "yes"?

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

I really need t drink more coffee before I get on GT. I thought the thread title said "Simple Tool Storage" and I'm like "Oh I got this..."

Yeah, not so much. :lol

:coffee

:lol

What I don't understand is why my vet's office always asks if I want the container back.

:lol

One happy turd that was collected in a poop bag glove awaits our trip in a shady spot on my deck. Let's hope after all of this that I don't forget it. :P

sounds like my vet :hehe:hehe when i bring in my cool whip containers w/ urine. poop is generally in a ziplock bag.

oh, come on....haven't any of you dealt w/ dirty diapers and a baby teething??? now talk about messy poops and clothing that's soiled from head to toe!!!! and trying to use a cloth diaper and washing them....that's another story! storeing them until the diaper service arrives during the months ofjune, july and august........ :eek

sounds like my vet :hehe:hehe when i bring in my cool whip containers w/ urine. poop is generally in a ziplock bag.

oh, come on....haven't any of you dealt w/ dirty diapers and a baby teething??? now talk about messy poops and clothing that's soiled from head to toe!!!! and trying to use a cloth diaper and washing them....that's another story! storeing them until the diaper service arrives during the months ofjune, july and august........ :eek

That is one of the many reasons I don't want kids. :lol

Yeah, what is WITH that question? Ewwwwwwwwwwwww! I guess they gotta ask but really...

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance