** Kevin!?

AEB

Kevin is 5.75 years old. has been perfectly potty trained since day 2 and we have had him for 2 3/4 years. He holds it all day sometimes. I offer them out many times during the day and often am ignored. I have to lure him off the sofa and then physically drag him outside.

Suddenly he started peeing in the house. The past 6 weeks or so he has had 4 potty incidents. He never told us he had to go. At first we weren't sure it was him. But it is.

The first time he peed a lake on the living room carpet. Clearly he needed to go but didn't tell us. We may not have forced him outside after dinner, our bad.

Within a week he peed on the porch of our other house. Ok, again, he might have had to go. There was no more than 3 hours between the last time he had been out and the accident. Quite possibly less. But we took him to the vet and medically he is fine.

We started watching him closely and limiting his movement in the evening. Then last week he peed a little in the living room near where he peed before. He had been out after dinner. No more than 3 hours had elapsed. We cleaned everything again and yes, we used enzymatic cleaner both times.

Tonight he was on the bed with me and Gamo. He got off and walked into the living room and got a pat from DH . Then he walked a couple of feet away and started peeing. He didn't stop until DH chased him. I dragged him outside and praised him when he went. He did pee but it was not a full bladder by any means. He finished a long walk not more than 2 hours before.

All of these accidents are after dinner in the evening. None during the day. At first I was upset that he has stopped alerting when he needs to go out. But now he's just letting loose in front of us? This is really troubling. I don't know what is going on. It's like he has no boundaries anymore. This should not be a problem at his age. I am getting desperate and am not sure what to do. Any suggestions?

finalsiggy.jpg

New urinalysis, bloodwork (CBC and chemistry), check for sheath infection (visual exam), and monitor -- don't restrict, just monitor -- his water intake (when, how much). Meantime, make him go out more often.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

New urinalysis, bloodwork (CBC and chemistry), check for sheath infection (visual exam), and monitor -- don't restrict, just monitor -- his water intake (when, how much). Meantime, make him go out more often.

:nod Sounds medical rather than behavior. Keep us posted.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

I third the med check. Aston has had two UTIs with us, both marked (pun intended) by nonsensical indoor peeing -- nonsensical considering his previous iron bladder (proven by his utter laziness and refusal to go outside even when he'd been holding it all day), our strict routine and even treating him on potty walks to get him to empty out. Nothing even began to solve the issue except for antibiotics; the last one required 3 weeks of Baytril to clear up.

Another vote for UTI.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

When you took him to the vet did they do a urinalysis on him? It really sounds like a urinary tract issue. He probably doesn't "tell" you he needs to go out because it comes on him suddenly and he just has to go. It might even hurt. It may happen in the evening more because he's up and about more then. I had a collie with recurrent UTIs when he reached 6-7 years old. He had crystals in his urine and suspected prostate issues as well. I had to alter his diet. That helped a lot but he still had occasional infections and it always started with peeing in the house and having to pee more often.

Sometimes a UTI doesn't show up on the dipstick, and sometimes it isn't terribly evident on a microscopic exam either. Helps to get a first-of-the-morning urine sample when dog hasn't had water overnight, but even then ..... High pH suggests infection. Culture is a good idea if nothing shows up on the easy tests and you can afford one. Hope you can get to the bottom of things!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Sometimes a UTI doesn't show up on the dipstick, and sometimes it isn't terribly evident on a microscopic exam either. Helps to get a first-of-the-morning urine sample when dog hasn't had water overnight, but even then ..... High pH suggests infection. Culture is a good idea if nothing shows up on the easy tests and you can afford one. Hope you can get to the bottom of things!

Thanks! Last time it was first morning urine. This time it won't be. But both dogs have high urine Ph. I think Kevin is 7.5 and Gamo 8.0. No evidence of infection last time. I think they did culture then too. It was a lot of expensive testing.

finalsiggy.jpg

It sounds medical to me too, but I guess you'll know that soon enough. I would make sure to look at kidneys, along with possibility of something like diabetes or Addison's in addition to doing the U/A and culture.

Could this be a reaction to Gamo? I know they had some issues settling in together. Or the fact that you need to "drag him" outside to potty? Maybe he's begun to find that aversive and is just going in the house instead? Any other changes in his life or yours that coincide closely to the timing of the accidents starting?

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Lucky started peeing in the house. Took him to the vet, nothing showed up in urine. Ran bloodwork, glob was elevated.

Did an ultrasound and he had a mass on his spleen. Emergency surgery a day later.

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

I would think UTI if he did it more frequently (less pee more often). This is 4 accidents in about 6 weeks. The vet thinks it's Gamo- that Gamo is getting attention that Kevin wants. It happens only in the evenings. Often after we're sitting around petting the boys. I have only been "dragging" him outside since he had his second accident. I grab his collar and lead him out. I don't actually drag him. But sometimes must coerce him to get him up so I can lead him. Also I wonder if it's behavioral because he has stopped telling us he wants out. And he basically peed right in front of DH last night. He did not fuss, sniff or ask for out. He pees normal amounts/frequency on walks.

We did CBC and chemistry, urinalysis. Holding off on the culture until we see how many white blood cells in his urine. We might do an x-ray if he has blood in the urine to check for stones. But today was $290. The culture would be another $125. The vet says there is a strong correlation between the white blood cells and uti. But when they aren't elevated those cultures have always come back negative. If things look ok otherwise and we work on behavior but he has more accidents we will do a culture. They do check for infection in the urinalysis.

Oh and he pooped a big stinky poop in the planter outside the office door!

finalsiggy.jpg

When they really don't want to go out but *I* want them to go, we make a little party of it, with a dance around the yard and a treat in there somewhere :) .

When they really don't want to go out but *I* want them to go, we make a little party of it, with a dance around the yard and a treat in there somewhere :) .

Oh he gets plenty of treats to lure and then as reward. He would rather sleep than expend ALL that effort to stand and walk outside.

finalsiggy.jpg

I hope you're able to get to the bottom of it. I had thought you meant he was going more often because you mentioned a couple times that he had been out not long before some of the episodes and I thought he had gone both when he was out and again shortly after in the house.

I hope you're able to get to the bottom of it. I had thought you meant he was going more often because you mentioned a couple times that he had been out not long before some of the episodes and I thought he had gone both when he was out and again shortly after in the house.

Yes, that is true. When these things have happened he has recently been out, except the first time. But he hasn't been going out more often otherwise. During the day he is only going out more often when I make him. He goes all night just fine and holds it as long as it's raining. i would think if it was a UTI he would have problems at other times of the day or more than once a week/every two weeks.

He did go out more tonight. Asked twice. Maybe because we have been praising him so much for going out and for asking?? Maybe a UTI? I hope we find out soon.

finalsiggy.jpg

For what it's worth, no bacteria showed up in Aston's urine either of the times he had a UTI, and his numbers were normal. For the first one, we even ran two urinalysis (urinalyses?) over the span of a month, and no bacteria. Vet never thought it was "worth" running a culture, despite the persistence of symptoms even with our efforts to combat possible behavioral issues. That vet is no longer my vet.

I hope you're able to get some answers soon :heart

Edited by o_rooly

Along the lines of what O_rooly is saying, if the blood work is normal, I might just consider a prophylactic course of ABs. I don't know what the vet would recommend, if you wanted to attack it guns blazing and think his stomach could handle it, I'd do Baytril. It's not cheap either though.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Along the lines of what O_rooly is saying, if the blood work is normal, I might just consider a prophylactic course of ABs. I don't know what the vet would recommend, if you wanted to attack it guns blazing and think his stomach could handle it, I'd do Baytril. It's not cheap either though.

Jen, he doesn't do great on ABs. Depending on the length. He has had to do 30 days before and that was hard on him. He can do a couple weeks. But maybe not of the stronger stuff. I'll talk to the vet about it today.

finalsiggy.jpg