Diarrhea, Lethargic

I got home from work today and my boyfriend told me that Atticus had diarrhea this afternoon. He came home and the apt smelled so strongly of poo he was certain Atticus had an accident. Turns out it was just gas but he took him outside and he had bright green diarrhea.

We were home all day yesterday and I thought he was acting a little weird-- just a little lethargic and disinterested in us-- but he was eating and pooping normally so I didn't worry. I haven't fed him anything but kibble since Saturday when I mixed a can of tuna in his kibble. Later that night I gave him a few parboiled red potatoes I had leftover. They had been oiled and lightly seasoned for grilling but I'd rinsed all that off.

Sunday we were gone all day and got home later than usual. He was spazzy when we got home so I took him for a brief walk and he threw up bile which I chalked up to hunger + excitement. He's eaten every meal normally and pooped normally since then until this afternoon.

He gets diarrhea from time to time and we just do bland diet til he's better. I'm not terribly worried but it's weird that he got sick now.

What's the statute of limitations on weird foods causing upset tummies?

With him being lethargic i would be worried about dehydration. Have you pulled up on his skin to see if it bounces back. Back of the neck or just below the neck along the spine is the best place to check.) I've had Rocket be that sick from tummy issues and Big D, and he needed IV fluids under the skin to re-hydrate him.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Don't know the statute of limitations on weird foods upsets, but sometimes dogs just pick up a tummy bug.

Ditto the suggestion to keep dog hydrated. Vets have advised me to just give dogs water/clear liquids for at least 24 hours to let intestinal system purge what it needs to and then rest. When you start feeding again, try just a small amount. Some people say their regular food with no add-ins; others say something bland like overcooked rice/pasta/potatoes and rinsed hamburger.

Not wanting to be alarmist, but could Atticus have eaten something on his own that might be causing a bowel obstruction? Hoping you'll all have a peaceful night, but watch the lethargy and for signs of straining with no results. The downside of loving a pet is the worry when they're not feeling well.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Thanks for the comments. His skin is maybe a little stiff? It does bounce back, but slowly. Any tips on getting him to drink water? I have some chicken broth, maybe I should add it to his water dish? He was lethargic before he had diarrhea so I'm not sure that's related to dehydration but I wouldn't rule it out.

I forgot to mention that he ate some chicken bones from the trash last Saturday (over a week ago). I fed him a bunch of bread and he's had good BMs every day since then. No change in appetite, etc. He did get into the trash again this past Saturday (he just learned how to pop open the lid) but I'm pretty sure he only looted some foil to his bed, which I found 5 minutes later.

We'll give him a little rice tomorrow and see if he gets any better. Poor buddy, he cuddled up next to me on the bed for a while (which he never does!), too tired to be bothered about personal space.

"bright green"?!

I can't imagine what would cause that color. It sounds like he got into something else, maybe toxic. I would take him to a vet. If you hadn't discribed the color I would wait like the others, but the color definitely scares me.

:nod This

Also, as far as the SOL on food and tummy issues....once upon a time we fed James a hot dog on a Tuesday night in obedience class. It took until Friday for his explosive diarrhea to occur.

"bright green"?!

I can't imagine what would cause that color. It sounds like he got into something else, maybe toxic. I would take him to a vet. If you hadn't discribed the color I would wait like the others, but the color definitely scares me.

Oops, I probably exaggerated on the color. I actually didn't see it myself, my boyfriend did. And he described is as "really green and really runny." I just assumed it was like the pea soup type, not something radioactive looking. He didn't have a BM this morning (didn't have dinner last night) but I haven't got home yet so I'm not sure how the rest of the day has gone.

Here's hoping it's just something I fed him Saturday. The tuna I gave him was a different brand than I've given him. It said "tuna in water" but when I looked at the ingredients it says it contains vegetable broth and soy. I never thought to look at the ingredients before.... is this typical? He gets tuna all the time, so if it is maybe it was the potatoes.

How is Atticus doing now?

The green color can be due to a bile issue, which may or may not be a big deal. It may be that he's getting more than an optimal amount of tuna, which can be too rich for frequent consumption. If the green and smelliness persist, there may be a problem that a vet should consider. Analyzing the poop for bacterial overgrowth may also be a good idea.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Thanks all for the responses! I think we're going to get a baby-gate for the kitchen. We live in an old apartment with old doors that don't fully close so that's our best option.

He's doing well on the digestive front. Regular firm BMs. I usually don't give him tuna more than once or twice a week and he's never had a problem. Thankfully whatever it was seems to have passed. Phew!

However on a different front, today he woke up with a bunch of swelling in his lower leg. :( We've got a vet appointment on Monday....